Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ha Long Bay / Cat Ba climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

hp

Feb 12, 2014, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (5673 views)
Shortcut

Ha Long Bay / Cat Ba climbing  (Asia: Vietnam)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all!

We thinking about heading to Vietnam and more closely Ha Long bay area in June. Information in internet about the climbing around there is scattered and mostly commercial. Guide book is also out of stock everywhere.

We are thinking about staying there for weeks and we are mostly interested in 5-7a (Fr grade) lead climbing…sport mostly since I don't want to drag trad rack all over the world. Climbing needs to be safe of course. We don't need (or want) to be part of organized trips.

Since it's mostly DWS, are there sport crags with wide range of quality routes in this grade?
How easy it is to get around without guides?
I quess in certain crags you need guides because of permissions?
What is the cost for boats or crag fees?
Are there still a lot of those unsafe boltings?

I would like to hear all kinds of experiences.

Thank you beforehand!

tomcecil

Feb 12, 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #2 of 5 (5638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hp] Ha Long Bay / Cat Ba climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thailand has proven that normal (stainless steele) bolts will degrade in a few years---unless they have replaced the bolts with Titanium bolts all you will be able to do is dws.

(This post was edited by tomcecil on Feb 12, 2014, 11:54 PM)

hp

Feb 13, 2014, 6:39 PM
Post #3 of 5 (5572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcecil] Ha Long Bay / Cat Ba climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats right. Some of the routes in Vietnam are quite new so they SHOULD have been bolted corrosive atmosphere in mind. Does anyone have facts about bolting in Vietnam?

JohnnyBEdge

May 23, 2014, 4:01 AM
Post #4 of 5 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the bolting is glue in. On Cat Ba island the bolts are still in very good condition as they dont get the salt water there in the valley. There is a climbing company on the island that does trips out there as well so the bolts are routinely checked. I can speak much about the few routes out on the rocks in the bay however. Contact Asia Outdoors on Cat Ba island for more info on that

RipTips

Jun 9, 2014, 5:52 AM
Post #5 of 5 (4905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey ,

Butterfly Valley hosts 65 bolted pitches of climbing with parallel two bolt with rap ring anchors. On a few climbs, permanent carabiners are installed. The bolts are 316 stainless. If that means anything to you. The routes range from 5a to 8b+. Most routes are in the 6a-7b range.

You have planned your trip perfectly for good DWS tides. Stop in at Asia Outdoors to sign up for a trip. Others may offer it for cheaper but they may not be taking you to safe DWS locations in terms of water depth, and rock quality nor will they think about keeping the boat from floating under you as you climb. You definitely don't want to break your back and leg hitting the boat on the way down. (Witnessed).

Easy to get to Butterfly Valley. Stop by Asia Outdoor's shop and pick up a guide book, they should still have a good 80-100 left. Be sure to ask for the updates.

Asia Outdoors collects a small fee for access to Butterfly Valley to continue bolt maintenance, trail maintenance, and cleaning up after you litter the place.

50,000 VND is an access pass to Butterfly Valley.

Happy Climbing and questions for you:

"Information in internet about the climbing around there is scattered and mostly commercial."

What kind of concise information you would like to be presented with to make travel planning easier?

I am working on a project for just this, climbing trips around southeast asia that enable independence of the climber away from commercial schemes.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook