RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Rockclimber249

Jul 1, 2014, 8:48 PM
Post #1 of 4 (7257 views)
Shortcut

Rappelling Rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys/gals I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong subsection, but I don't think there was a section for rappelling. Okay so I am looking and doing some research into static ropes because I want one for rappelling. I have basically come up with two types of static ropes, the flexible kind (kind of like a dynamic rope would feel) and the very stiff kind (like that PMI stuff sold at REI). I was wondering what kind of experiences you all have had using each type and what you prefer. And also what rope would you suggest I get. I was looking at the Blue Water II Plus and I think it is a stiff kind and also the Sterling SUPERSTATIC2 which I think is a flexible one. Does anyone have any reviews of these ropes or prefrences? Thanks for all your help, I much appreciate responses.
EDIT: It will be just for rappelling off rocks, if it gets wet it would be on accident. And another question(sorry for so many) does a stiffer static line mean it will have a higher resistance to abrasiveness than of a flexible one?

(This post was edited by Rockclimber249 on Jul 1, 2014, 10:25 PM)

sungam

Jul 1, 2014, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (7248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rockclimber249] Rappelling Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are you going canyoneering or whatever it's called or just rappelling off a cliff?
I.E. will your rope be getting wet?

rocknice2

Jul 2, 2014, 12:22 AM
Post #3 of 4 (7222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Get the semi static rope, (soft feel). It will be easier to tie knots and handle it through the rappel device. The full static are better for extremely long rappels or rescue loads. Full static is better against abrasion.

climbingtrash

Jul 3, 2014, 12:36 AM
Post #4 of 4 (7089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rockclimber249 wrote:
Hey guys/gals I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong subsection, but I don't think there was a section for rappelling. Okay so I am looking and doing some research into static ropes because I want one for rappelling. I have basically come up with two types of static ropes, the flexible kind (kind of like a dynamic rope would feel) and the very stiff kind (like that PMI stuff sold at REI). I was wondering what kind of experiences you all have had using each type and what you prefer. And also what rope would you suggest I get. I was looking at the Blue Water II Plus and I think it is a stiff kind and also the Sterling SUPERSTATIC2 which I think is a flexible one. Does anyone have any reviews of these ropes or prefrences? Thanks for all your help, I much appreciate responses.
EDIT: It will be just for rappelling off rocks, if it gets wet it would be on accident. And another question(sorry for so many) does a stiffer static line mean it will have a higher resistance to abrasiveness than of a flexible one?

I guide canyoneering 5 months out of the year in noiZ and I use the Blue Water 9.2mm Canyon DS (dual sheath) and it really holds up well to the abuse I put it through. I just got a spool of the 9mm Canyonator that I don't plan on beating up as much. If you don't plan on really doing routes/canyons that are hard on ropes a lesser built one will do for sport rappelling.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook