RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

fitzontherocks

Aug 1, 2014, 12:36 AM
Post #1 of 18 (8953 views)
Shortcut

Is this on? (RC.com, I mean)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Haven't checked in for a while, but I notice that "Sharma frees Stoking the Fire" (from 2011) is still the top story. I know RC.com changed hands and that last time I spent any time on it, the new owner was "reconfiguring" but that was ages ago. What's the current status and trajectory of the site? I used to love coming here, but lately, doesn't seem like much is going on.

kalen666

Aug 1, 2014, 5:10 AM
Post #2 of 18 (8895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I talked with the owner of the site today. He has his hands full trying to get the coding of the site more user friendly.

tminus44

Aug 1, 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #3 of 18 (8824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kalen666] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kalen666 wrote:
I talked with the owner of the site today. He has his hands full trying to get the coding of the site more user friendly.

9 months and nothing has changed?! That's very disappointing especially after reading his thread when he announced the change of hands and how he was improve things to to make this site thrive again.

bigjonnyc

Aug 1, 2014, 2:39 PM
Post #4 of 18 (8794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:
"Sharma frees Stoking the Fire" (from 2011)

In the owners' defense, this was actually from Feb. of last year, so only like 18 months. Unsure

funk

Aug 1, 2014, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 18 (8748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigjonnyc] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

he must have a crappy off-shore team.

isn't it easy to write an RSS feed to pull headlines off of 8a, DPM, PlanetMountain, Climbing, R&I, and Alpinist?

With that said, has anything changed?

(This post was edited by funk on Aug 1, 2014, 6:19 PM)

dlintz

Aug 2, 2014, 5:08 AM
Post #6 of 18 (8662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kalen666] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kalen666 wrote:

If he truly cared, he would've had that taken care of months (maybe years) ago.

As long as the ad revenue checks keep rollin' in, why mess with a good thing, right?

marc801

Aug 3, 2014, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 18 (8578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funk] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funk wrote:
isn't it easy to write an RSS feed to pull headlines off of 8a, DPM, PlanetMountain, Climbing, R&I, and Alpinist?
Write one and post it here.

sungam

Aug 4, 2014, 8:49 AM
Post #8 of 18 (8493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
funk wrote:
I suspect this is the kind of thing people expect to be paid for.

marc801

Aug 4, 2014, 2:52 PM
Post #9 of 18 (8450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
marc801 wrote:
funk wrote:
Usually. But if someone is suggesting how easy it is on a site that obviously can use some volunteer help, then they should just write the script. After all, if it's that easy, it shouldn't take any time at all.

funk

Aug 4, 2014, 6:34 PM
Post #10 of 18 (8415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
sungam wrote:
marc801 wrote:
funk wrote:
Usually. But if someone is suggesting how easy it is on a site that obviously can use some volunteer help, then they should just write the script. After all, if it's that easy, it shouldn't take any time at all.

i can't and it's not my business to learn it - we have people for that. typical PM response, right? hahahahahaha!

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 4, 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #11 of 18 (8387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A bit of background research on the owner of the site would tell you that he is more than capable of getting a feed through on a site he owns.....

Perhaps consider the possibility that the owner has a different perspective than you on what the priorities for this project are.

I, too, would have liked to see changes occurring more quickly, but have confidence that Jeff is managing things in the way that works best for him. In the interim, those diehard RC'ers haven't *lost* any functionality of a site they had accepted in it's current state, and it's not like the content those feeds would include isn't available elsewhere.

marc801

Aug 4, 2014, 11:09 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funk wrote:
marc801 wrote:
sungam wrote:
marc801 wrote:
funk wrote:

i can't and it's not my business to learn it - we have people for that. typical PM response, right? hahahahahaha!
Yep! So the appropriate Agile response is: OK, so you want the RSS feed. What other feature currently in development for this release do you want to give up in order to fit it in?

funk

Aug 5, 2014, 7:51 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
funk wrote:
marc801 wrote:
sungam wrote:
marc801 wrote:
funk wrote:

Yep! So the appropriate Agile response is: OK, so you want the RSS feed. What other feature currently in development for this release do you want to give up in order to fit it in?

if it's not in the original SOW, we will not address it, unless you want to renegotiate our contract to include this and the necessary resources.

skelldify

Aug 5, 2014, 8:40 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's just see how long we can talk crap about the site before the owner chimes in!

Partner Jeff
Owner

Aug 5, 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skelldify] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lol... I'm still around. :-)

To be fair, I've only been working full-time on the site since May. I bought the site in October, spent some of my free time on it, then around February my day job got pretty busy and I was fully slammed with no time to work on RC until I was done there.

I've spent a bit of time talking with various users 1:1 (if you haven't heard from me and want to chat, just PM and we'll setup a time)

The last two weeks have been fully focused on on prep'ing for Outdoor Retailer... a lot of cold-calling and emailing as I am a n00b in the outdoor industry with not much of a network. More to come on that front...

I wouldn't expect a lot of visible changes for a bit. Kristen and I are expecting our first child in September, and I hear from others that that'll leave me wiped out for a few weeks.

After that, I'll be focusing more on the tech--content isn't a high priority for me right now, just because I really don't have time to pull off content and tech at the same time and this site doesn't make enough money for me to hire someone.

Seems like every day, I start working on this site in the morning, hit the end of the day and think "where did the time go!" Never-ending list of things to do. I alternate between "I am making no progress" and "Wow, how did I manage to accomplish all that in three months?"

A lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff lately has been related to the business and figuring out how to make it so I can make a living off this site... that takes a lot more time than most people realize, but if it doesn't happen, then I won't be able to continue working full-time on the site.

funk

Aug 6, 2014, 4:13 PM
Post #16 of 18 (8155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ominously sounds like NoRope.

roninthorne

Aug 11, 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #17 of 18 (7865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

funk wrote:
he must have a crappy off-shore team.

With that said, has anything changed?

What? Another complainer who contributes nothing and wants to get paid for riding around on someone else's yacht, even if it is "from the 90s"?

Please provide a link to your fully functional website to allow us to be dazzled by your brilliance and ease of use.

What's that?

You don't have one?

This is my surprised face.

(This post was edited by roninthorne on Aug 11, 2014, 11:31 AM)

markc

Aug 12, 2014, 4:40 AM
Post #18 of 18 (7754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Is this on? (RC.com, I mean) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

More importantly, the news articles aren't the driver of discussions on this site. Look at the number of views and comments for everything on the front page and tell me it's worth addressing.

Regardless of whether you respect Jeff's choice to tinker behind the scenes rather than trying to rebuild community and momentum on the site, the very last thing I'd give a shit about is news you're just snatching from elsewhere. If it hasn't received much attention in the past, it's certainly not going to be the salvation of rc.com.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook