RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

charley

Mar 12, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #1 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

balancing cardio, lifting, and climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know there are some of you who lift weights, run or bike, and climb. Any hints on balancing the three. I lift 2 days a week, total body workouts, climb at gym twice a week, and walk 4 days a week,.

george

Mar 12, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #2 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Re: balancing cardio, lifting, and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lift weights Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday

I climb Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday

I run at least five days per week (that's how I get to and from work).

My hat is off to you. I hope that I'm in good enough shape to still be climbing when I'm 56 (I'm 32). Very encouraging!

dredsovrn

Mar 12, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you have a pretty good program overall. If you are doing all that and are still overweight, you probably need to look at your nutrition. Most people seem to drop the ball in this area. I am not talking about anything radical, just good common sense choices. If you have a good balanced diet most of the time, you can still throw down that cheese steak, beer, and fries combo every once in a while and it is no big deal.

I do cardio (running, hiking, or biking) for 20-40 min 3 days a week. Lift 2-3 days per week for roughly 40 minutes, and climb 2-3 days per week for anywhere from 1-8 hours (most times it is 1-2 hrs, but on a good weekend, I might pull an all day climbathon). That and a good balanced diet and I am in better shape than when I was college athlete years and years ago (diet is probably a big factor there).

charley

Mar 12, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #4 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

George, If you lift 4 days/ wk. Do you lift different body parts on different days or everything every day.

the_antoon

Mar 12, 2004, 2:45 AM
Post #5 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i lift for 4 days on, 1 day off, 4 days on, 1 day off, etc. That means i alternate back and biceps (and concurrent muscle groups), and chest, tri's and shoulders (and concurrent muscle groups) for 4 days giving each muscle group two days of work with plenty of rest. Then i take a day off and usually do cardio or nothing at all. The way i work climbing in, is i just substitute it for one of my back and biceps workouts. It works the same muscle groups and that way i get two climb once or twice a week.

roc-dude
Deleted

Mar 12, 2004, 3:07 AM
Post #6 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second George's Work out. I lift Three times a week; Back & Bi's, Chest & Tri's and Legs and Shoulders. I also do abs every time I am in the gym. I run two times and week and do the rotating Stair at the Gym once a week (it is a killer) and climb three times a week. That is nine workouts a week, that will get you in shape. Before a big trip, I will increse it to lifting 6 times a week one body part a day, running 4 times a week and the Stairs once a week and climbing 4 times a week. I can only do this for about 8 weeks before the body start yelling stop in some fashion. By the way I am 39.

sean34

Mar 12, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #7 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charley,

This is an excellent question with no perfect answer. Define your goals first:

What are your climbing goals?
What are your lifting goals?
Any cardio goals?

After you define your goals, prioritize them and come up with a plan of attack. Pretty simple I know but it will get you on track.

Personally, I gave up lifting and just climb a few times a week and ride my bike the other days. I lost close to 50 pounds (mostly hard earned muscle) over the past year. My climbing has improved and so has my cardio.

best of luck,

Sean

beesty511

Mar 12, 2004, 4:11 AM
Post #8 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can only motivate yourself to get to the gym once a week, I think doing the full body workout is probably best. If you can get to the gym more often, definitely split up your weighlifting so you lift upper body one day and legs another day. If you want, you can go to the gym everyday that way--I do. Building muscle also has the added benefit of increasing your metabolism, helping you burn calories.

I also move to cycling in the summers like you, but it's healthy for your bones to do some weight bearing exercises like running too, which unfortunately, you can no longer do. Pick up the recent issue of Bicycling which has a long article on calcium/bone loss in cyclists for more information.

The biggest problem I find is trying to climb one day and lift upper body the next--I find that rotation doesn't ever give my arms a rest, which for me often leads to fatigue, aches and pains and tedonitis type problems. So, I have taken to lifting arms and upper body the same days that I climb. In fact, I try to lift before I climb. Surprisingly, I have sent some of my hardest routes that way. Also, lifting before climbing gets me loose and stretched out, so I'm warmed up for climbing, which I think may also prevent injury.

I do my cycling 5-7 days a week, since it is so kind on the body, but always after climbing or lifting. I'm way too tired to climb or lift after cycling or running.

Mix in a little fly fishing on your days off from climbing, and you'll have a nice rotation going.

deleted
Deleted

Mar 12, 2004, 4:15 AM
Post #9 of 24 (14627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wake up really early to post on rc.com for an hour or so. this is really strenuous, so i try to balance this with a bowl of cereal

after that, i drink a buttload of coffee until a load comes out of my butt.

then, i ski up and down a neighboring mountain. sometimes i do it twice.

after that, i eat a snickers bar, which aside from my coffee, is one of the first things i eat during the day.

Then, i either climb some rock, or hit the bouldering gym, or lift weights...depending on the nature of the activity and how psyched i/we are, this takes 1-4 hours.

After that, i eat a big meal of bacon and butter fettucini

after dinner, i start drinking heavily until i pass out.

i'm 6 feet, 150 pounds and can climb 5.13

beesty511

Mar 12, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #10 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol

overlord

Mar 12, 2004, 8:30 AM
Post #11 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can alternate between climbing and weights, just make sure you work the proper muscles both time so you dont get overtrained.

you can probably do cardio every day.

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 12, 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #12 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i lift as hard as i always did (well, as hard as i can at 9 o'clock after work) for five days a week. i make sure i have days on the weekend that i won't mind missing in the even i'm climbing. but if i can fit it in i will climb and lift on the same day.. usually i don't have that much time in the day cardio is for pansies (or people who don't have trashed knees like me) so i have stopped doing that, but would love to start jumping rope again if it wouldn't be excruciating...

litleclimberchick

Mar 12, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #13 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb more...just twice a week is not enough if you want to improve

Partner neuroshock

Mar 12, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #14 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Knees keep me from running anymore. I slack off on lifting when it gets warmer and I start climbing and biking more. It is hard to still lift once a week as the summer goes on. I have been thinking about lifting upper one day and lower another so it's not so exhausting and I could do cardio work on days I lift upper body. I am also 56 years old and overweight. I would like to lift total body at least once/wk., climb two or three days, and run or bike about 5 times. Any help would be appreciated.

not directly related to your question; have you considered swimming? less impact on your knees and it's an all-around muscular, aerobic, and cardiovascular workout.

however, i've found that it uses many of the same muscles as climbing...so watch those rest days

csoles

Mar 12, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #15 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't mention what your goals are so that's the first step. And yes, as someone else mentioned, look at your diet too.

Running isn't necessarily hard on your knees if a) you have good shoes selected for your feet b) you have good footbeds c) you learn good technique. That said, biking (including spinning) is superb conditioning. And if you hike, use trekking poles for a better workout. Perhaps you aren't going hard enough if you aren't losing weight but there are many factors.

Adjust your lifting to the season and your goals. Ditto with climbing.

/blatant plug on/
Pick up a copy of Climbing: Training for Peak Performance from The Mountaineers Books to get the detailed answer. I wrote it specifically for people like you.
/blatant plug off/

mandrake

Mar 12, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #16 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know there are some of you who lift weights, run or bike, and climb. Any hints on balancing the three. I lift 2 days a week, total body workouts, climb at gym twice a week, and walk 4 days a week, during the winter. Knees keep me from running anymore. I slack off on lifting when it gets warmer and I start climbing and biking more. It is hard to still lift once a week as the summer goes on. I have been thinking about lifting upper one day and lower another so it's not so exhausting and I could do cardio work on days I lift upper body. I am also 56 years old and overweight. I would like to lift total body at least once/wk., climb two or three days, and run or bike about 5 times. Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you have a pretty good basic program going, but I'm not sure what help you need. Assuming you're concerned about your overweight, then do at least 45 mins of cardio 5 times a week at a moderate level. With bad knees you'll have to experiment: see if an elliptical trainer would give you a little more intensity than walking. Mix it up a bit: elliptical one day, hard walking the next...But keep your aerobic work in the "fat burning zone" like what 65% to 75% of maximum heart rate: check other sites like runnersworld.com (the heart rate training article) for a discussion of that. Then do a good 15 minutes of stretching afterwards to ward off injuries and maintain, and maybe build, flexibility.

If you have time to lift, go light weights and 12-15 reps for 2 or 3 sets. If you want to split, like the above said do back and bi's one day and chest and tri's the other. If you want to lose weight though, focus on the aerobic stuff and make sure you get at least 30 minutes of that in.

For me, I work out and do aerobic work in the mornings and go to the climbing gym at night. You'll need to pay attention to your body and see how you do on what schedule. But for me, I climb outside on the weekends and then MWF do gym workouts: whole body M, split W and F. Aerobic all three days. Climbing gym T-Th. oops, gotta go.

charley

Mar 12, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #17 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lots of good info.

mandrake

Mar 12, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #18 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh, the thighmaster at Seneca...Hell, you could just do that for one or two of your weekly aerobic sessions!

Yeah, I view lifting as more of a tool for injury prevention as well. You're probably already doing this, but if you can get some physical therapy prescribed, that might help with the ongoing pain. Get the pt to recommend some specific exercises to strenthen your knees. I did that for my shoulder tendonitis, and I use the pt's recommendation for about half the exercises in my workout.

But, to lose weight, go at a moderate 65-75% MHR for 30-45 minutes (and don't diet, but just don't overeat). I'm told that 2 lbs a week is the max sustainable weight loss, but I'm thinking that may be high. Good luck!

beesty511

Mar 13, 2004, 7:41 AM
Post #19 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing: Training for Peak Performance from The Mountaineers Books

I think Clyde Soles' book is very good. There is a lot of information in it, and I especially liked the weight training section. Throughout the book, I like his no nonsense dismissal of common myths.

okinawatricam

Mar 13, 2004, 8:11 AM
Post #20 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget to stretch

andy_reagan

Mar 13, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #21 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lifting weights is starting to seem counterproductive to me if your primary goal is to become better at climbing. I've built a few pounds of muscle weight from lifting and the muscle just seems to work a bit worse or less efficiently than when I only climb for a month straight. Climbing makes you a better climber. Now obviously, if you have different goals other than that hard onsight, then you might want to post on a different forum.

As a side note, I still lift weights 2-3 times a week because I simply enjoy the process of lifting weights.

beesty511

Mar 13, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #22 of 24 (14638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lifting weights is starting to seem counterproductive to me if your primary goal is to become better at climbing.

Clyde Soles mentions this myth in his book, and to me its just common sense that weight lifting can help you in any sport. When you isolate a muscle and work on it with weights, it becomes stronger. How can that hurt your climbing? Not to mention working the opposing muscles used in climbing can help prevent injury.

You said you gained weight from weight training. I think that's virtually impossible for most people. Most people will lose weight if they adopt weight training: the exercise itself burns calories and building muscle raises your metabolism which causes you to burn more calories every hour of the day.

If you lift 5 hours a day, and drink lots of protein shakes, and dont' do any other exercise, I think some people might be able to gain weight from weight training.

jamesheller

Aug 19, 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #23 of 24 (10914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] balancing cardio, lifting, and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

From seven days, you should do these things 6 days a week, your schedule should like this Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sat - Cardio Exercises, Tuesday and Thursday - Lifting, Sat - Climbing. Sunday should be for rest to relax your body and get ready for next week.

lena_chita

Aug 19, 2014, 1:54 PM
Post #24 of 24 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesheller] balancing cardio, lifting, and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesheller wrote:
From seven days, you should do these things 6 days a week, your schedule should like this Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sat - Cardio Exercises, Tuesday and Thursday - Lifting, Sat - Climbing. Sunday should be for rest to relax your body and get ready for next week.

This is a very old thread.

Charley is not on this planet anymore, sadly, but I am pretty sure he figured out what he wanted to do between 2004 and 2014.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook