RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

FusePB

Sep 2, 2014, 3:32 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3598 views)
Shortcut

La Sportiva Solution Sizing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I know there have been a number of threads regarding this issue, but none answered my question specifically. Obviously everyone is different, but I was hoping some of you could give me some input. Looking for another pair of aggressive bouldering shoes and as far as the solution sizing I don't know which way to lean. I wear a 47 street shoe and after trying 5-6 pairs of solutions on I've found the 43 to be very uncomfortable and just about the smallest I can fit into, and the 43 1/2 being fairly comfortable but a little bit loose in the heel. When walking with the 43 1/2 there is a squishy sound in the heel. In the 43 they are nearly unbearable while climbing and not. Which size should I lean towards?

Thanks guys!

granite_grrl

Sep 2, 2014, 3:50 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FusePB] La Sportiva Solution Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FusePB wrote:
Hello, I know there have been a number of threads regarding this issue, but none answered my question specifically. Obviously everyone is different, but I was hoping some of you could give me some input. Looking for another pair of aggressive bouldering shoes and as far as the solution sizing I don't know which way to lean. I wear a 47 street shoe and after trying 5-6 pairs of solutions on I've found the 43 to be very uncomfortable and just about the smallest I can fit into, and the 43 1/2 being fairly comfortable but a little bit loose in the heel. When walking with the 43 1/2 there is a squishy sound in the heel. In the 43 they are nearly unbearable while climbing and not. Which size should I lean towards?

Thanks guys!

Are you sure this is the shoe for you? I have never worn the solutions, but I have tended to downsize my other Sportiva shoes quite a bit (I'm a 42 and I find my 38.5 Katanas quite comfortable), so I'm not questioning having to go down 4 sizes.

I do question a half size difference being that different in a shoe. If the heel is sloppy in the 43.5 it seems likely it will become sloppy in the 43 once they get worn in.

FusePB

Sep 2, 2014, 4:01 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] La Sportiva Solution Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
FusePB wrote:

Thanks guys!

Are you sure this is the shoe for you? I have never worn the solutions, but I have tended to downsize my other Sportiva shoes quite a bit (I'm a 42 and I find my 38.5 Katanas quite comfortable), so I'm not questioning having to go down 4 sizes.

I do question a half size difference being that different in a shoe. If the heel is sloppy in the 43.5 it seems likely it will become sloppy in the 43 once they get worn in.

I guess I'm mainly wondering if I will lose all the technical ability of the shoe if I lean towards comfort? I boulder 80% of the time, but would like to not have to switch back and forth between shoes so much.

lena_chita

Sep 2, 2014, 8:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FusePB] La Sportiva Solution Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FusePB wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
FusePB wrote:

Thanks guys!

I guess I'm mainly wondering if I will lose all the technical ability of the shoe if I lean towards comfort? I boulder 80% of the time, but would like to not have to switch back and forth between shoes so much.

If you are sizing shoes for comfort, then don't get super-agressive shoes. From the way you are describing the fit of 43 1/2, it sounds like 43 should be the right size. And they will stretch a bit, not much, but slightly... But only you would really know how unbearable they feel, so in the end you are the one who would have to make the decision, and live with it.

Obviously, you don't want that air pocket in the heel, and you might get better fit from other shoes, so don't get stuck on Solutions, try other shoes. Finding shoes that don't have air pockets AND fit tight without being unbearable would be the ideal scenario.

Having said that, I have an air pocket in the heel of my Testarossas. I like them so much for the fit everywhere else that I am willing to accept that small air pocket, because I have not found a better-fitting pair of downturned shoes for me. I have an air pocket in all of them, Testarossas less so than others. It does become and issue on a very specific type of heel hook, on smaller folds. I few times I have gotten to do moves where the heel air pocket made the moves feel more precarious then it should have been (I am saying this after having climbed the same route more than once, wearing different pair of shoes)
But rarely (never?) has it stopped me from doing a climb.

FusePB

Sep 3, 2014, 3:31 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] La Sportiva Solution Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That makes sense, thank you for your replies guys!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook