RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Liamg1997

Sep 21, 2014, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 14 (12897 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im 17yrs old and i have never climbed before. Im really interested in getting started though. Bouldering interests me the most. I dont know if i want to go to a climbing gym but i want to get started working out so im actually strong enough to climb. Im not over weight but I dont think im strong enough to boulder yet. What should i do??

Also: i live in Kansas city Kansas/missouri. Does anyone know where i can boulder thats close?

(This post was edited by Liamg1997 on Sep 21, 2014, 8:20 PM)

shockabuku

Sep 21, 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #2 of 14 (12857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Liamg1997] Beginner Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Liamg1997 wrote:
Im 17yrs old and i have never climbed before. Im really interested in getting started though. Bouldering interests me the most. I dont know if i want to go to a climbing gym but i want to get started working out so im actually strong enough to climb. Im not over weight but I dont think im strong enough to boulder yet. What should i do??

Also: i live in Kansas city Kansas/missouri. Does anyone know where i can boulder thats close?

Start bouldering, or top-roping.

The thing that will be the weakest is your hands/fingers/forearms. Not much besides climbing will fix that.

There's a routes database on this site to look for places to climb. There's a better one on Mountain Project. Or go to the gym and make some friends who climb and go where they go.

gblauer

Sep 22, 2014, 4:05 AM
Post #3 of 14 (12797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just go to a climbing gym. Many gyms offer classes. I find that boulderers are generally very friendly. Once you learn the basics you'll be able to make some friends and learn from them. Good Luck!

dagibbs

Sep 22, 2014, 3:16 PM
Post #4 of 14 (12723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll echo the "go to your local climbing gym". Google should be able to find you one. Most climbing gyms will have bouldering problems (and, especially, roped-climbs) right down to the super-easy for absolute beginners to climb. A gym is, also, a good place to meet local climbers or boulderers who may know their way around local outdoor venues.

marc801

Oct 31, 2014, 3:13 AM
Post #10 of 14 (11473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rappellingzone] Beginner Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rappellingzone wrote:
This post is about beginning climbers and you don't think that rappelling is a valuable skill for climbers to learn? oh well.Unimpressed
Eventually, yes. For someone who has never climbed before and is trying to figure out how to start, no.

Most climbers see rappelling as a necessary technique, but hardly an activity on its own. Search around for derogatory and occasionally scathing comments about "sport rappelers" on pretty much any of the climbing discussion sites. People who only rappel are not held in high regard.

For that same someone to be directed to a site that has a paucity of real instructional material and seems to exist primarily to sell stuff, and to be directed there by the site owner, borders on irresponsibility. It's also pretty damned close to spamming the forum.

I think all these things are what kennoyce was getting at.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Oct 31, 2014, 3:16 AM)

ncrockclimber

Oct 31, 2014, 4:42 AM
Post #11 of 14 (11452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rappellingzone] Beginner Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people above were trying to be polite. I will be more blunt. Your site has no value that could not be provided by a google search on "rappelling" and your post is SPAM. Go away.

edit to add:

To the OP, you should visit your local climbing gym or look for a meet-up group. You can try out climbing / bouldering and will probably meet some folks from whom you can learn more about these activities. Good luck!

(This post was edited by ncrockclimber on Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 AM)

lena_chita

Oct 31, 2014, 2:35 PM
Post #12 of 14 (11393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Beginner Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have hidden the spam post and the comments that were responding to it, because they are now unnecessary.

To the OP:

Hopefully you have found a gym by now, and are enjoying climbing. Good luck!

(This post was edited by lena_chita on Oct 31, 2014, 2:39 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook