Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dynosore

Oct 9, 2014, 1:29 PM
Post #26 of 27 (1818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vinnie83] Using a Satellite Phone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is why I'm saying get a real PLB, not a SPOT, if rescue is your priority. I did a lot of research before switching from SPOT.

The good ones use the COPSAS/SARSAT network, which is run by NOAA in the USA and has SAR member in 41 countries. Several advantages over SPOT type devices:

1) the network responds MUCH faster and coordinates with the Coast Guard, Air Force, and others.

2) The connection is far superior. I had a SPOT and it was hit or miss. They put out less than a 1W signal. PLBs put out 5 watts. There's an article floating around where they analyzed response times. PLB's are less than 5 minutes, SPOT type devices were nearly 45 minutes if they got through at all.

3) SPOT type devices use the Globalstar satellites, and between my SPOT and rented sat phones I've come to learn there is NO way I'd trust it in the event of a real emergency.

My 2c, there are a ton of good articles about this out there.

If you want to text the wife and let her know you're safe, a SPOT might do what you want. I had about a 60% success rate over hundreds of messages.

If you actually want rescued, a 406MHz device using the COPSAS network WILL get through and activate a much wider net of rescue options.

USnavy

Oct 13, 2014, 7:31 AM
Post #27 of 27 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TScott27] Using a Satellite Phone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TScott27 wrote:
Here's the thing. I consider a satellite phone both a boon and bane. Just imagine when you are in a difficult position and the phone rings, it will surely be a distraction. ]
Which is easily solved by giving the phone number out to exactly zero people. Plus, with fees around $5 per minute, you probably wont want to give the number out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook