Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Request for Assistance – new McDowells Guidebook
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ErikF

Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Request for Assistance – new McDowells Guidebook  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: McDowell_Mountains)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cheryl Beaver and I are working on a new rock climbing guidebook for the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in Scottsdale. Quite a bit has changed in terms of policies, procedures, access and route information since the excellent guidebooks offered in the past by Waugh, Opland, and Karabin. Due to my work on City Boards and Commissions and official volunteer non-profits associated with the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, I have been working with the City Staff in identifying and cataloguing the rock climbing resources in the McDowells since the mid-1990’s.

We’ve decided to translate that hands-on detail represented in that 20 years of work to a new rock climbing guidebook. Our thinking is that the guidebook will have route photos similar to those I have disseminated to friends over the years and posted on the McDowell Rock Climbing Facebook Page -https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rock-Climbing-McDowells-Scottsdale/208299875908609

We are in the process of verifying routes and information that were identified in the previous guidebooks (e.g., Waugh, Opland and Karabin) but we would appreciate assistance from the climbing community in identifying additional routes and updated route Beta. We are also reaching out to a number of the first ascentionists to verify some details and appreciate their contributions.

If anyone would be willing to share information on old or new routes that were not contained in the Waugh, Opland or Karabin guidebooks, we’d really like to hear from you. Also, if anyone would like to see the types of information we will be presenting, please visit the FB page mentioned above. We’d love to get feedback on the accuracy of the routes and information presented therein.

If you have information you would be willing to share, please PM me through this site or PM me to initiate an email exchange if that would be a better format for conveying your thoughts.

Thank you,
Erik and Cheryl

sonso45

Nov 1, 2014, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ErikF] Request for Assistance – new McDowells Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll send some photos of Mad Hatter during the FA. Good luck!

ErikF

Nov 3, 2014, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Request for Assistance – new McDowells Guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Manny. Looking forward to seeing them. Great climb.

(This post was edited by ErikF on Nov 3, 2014, 1:46 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook