RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

egrove11

Nov 18, 2014, 2:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3564 views)
Shortcut

Climbing with a Baby in Boulder, CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm trying to find some baby friendly climbing areas around Boulder, CO for next summer (think short single pitch trad or sport routes with very minimal rock fall hazard, sweet bouldering areas with minimal approach, etc.). I'm more concerned about ease of access, safety, and getting a good pump, than I am about trying the ultra classics in the area. I'm from Minnesota, so I'm sure it's all going to be fun to me.
Thanks!
P.S. Anyone who climbs/camps with babies, feel free to give me some advice!

marc801

Nov 18, 2014, 3:34 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [egrove11] Climbing with a Baby in Boulder, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

egrove11 wrote:
I'm trying to find some baby friendly climbing areas around Boulder, CO for next summer (think short single pitch trad or sport routes with very minimal rock fall hazard, sweet bouldering areas with minimal approach, etc.). I'm more concerned about ease of access, safety, and getting a good pump, than I am about trying the ultra classics in the area. I'm from Minnesota, so I'm sure it's all going to be fun to me.
Thanks!
P.S. Anyone who climbs/camps with babies, feel free to give me some advice!
Babies don't belong at climbing areas.

egrove11

Nov 18, 2014, 4:00 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climbing with a Baby in Boulder, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Generally I would agree with you. Particularly those shirtless sport climbers, flailing on their "project" 2 grades beyond their capability (yet still telling people they climb at that level), and spasticly kicking the wall and yelling after their 8th failed attempt of the day. Normally they can make that move, but they just did too many pull ups yesterday. Back's a little sore.
You're right. Those cry babies don't belong in climbing areas.
Dogs, too. Dogs are annoying.

skelldify

Nov 18, 2014, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there are any.

maldaly

Nov 18, 2014, 4:30 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

We brought both of our kids to the crags when they were babies and now they are grown up and adventuring on their own. One is a rep for Black Diamond, the other a fishing guide in Alaska. I think the spirit of adventure begins to seep into kids way before you know it. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Most people don't like crying babies at crags. Treat this situation as any courteous person would an upscale restaurant. You are on your baby's agenda and if she doesn't want to be there, no one else at the crag wants her to be there either.

- Babies and dogs don't mix well.

- Babies can't dodge falling rocks. Stash them well out of the way of any projectiles.

- The baby needs a full time attendant. That means that two of you can't bring your baby to the crag. Really. It is impossible to pay attention to your baby and your belay at the same time. Don't even think about trying. Bring a babysitter. Bouldering is a better baby experience. Consider working out the kinks during some bouldering sessions before you go cragging.

Good luck,
Mal

skelldify

Nov 18, 2014, 4:39 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Climbing with a Baby in Boulder, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
- The baby needs a full time attendant. That means that two of you can't bring your baby to the crag. Really. It is impossible to pay attention to your baby and your belay at the same time.

This.

markc

Nov 18, 2014, 5:07 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Climbing with a Baby in Boulder, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

This is spot on. Even (especially?) with older kids on the move, having a grown-up on the ground to supervise kids at all times is critical. Hiring a sitter, partnering with other parents, or with understanding partners is a necessity. (If it's with other partners, taking two cars to let them stay out at the crag if you have to leave early is smart.) Taking kids with you and getting in a day where you're super-focused and crushing it - probably mutually exclusive. If you bring kiddos, put their needs first. This may mean exploring the woods for a bit rather climbing or packing up before you normally would.

We took my son to Colorado just before he turned three and to Calgary just before he turned four. (We also did local trips before then.) While he climbed some, he primarily played on a blanket with toys we packed in well away from the base. We were a party of four plus the kiddo. His mom or I largely stayed with him at the base, but now and then a friend would take a rest and play with him. A party of five would have been ideal, as it always leaves two pairs to climb. We got in less climbing when he was along, but we also built in some kid-free days. It was a good balance for us.

Sorry I don't have specific crag recommendations.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook