RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jumpingrock

Nov 23, 2014, 6:53 PM
Post #1 of 4 (8490 views)
Shortcut

Tracking your training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I read the self-coached climber about a year ago, but I found that I didn't really work effectively with the things that I learnt from it. I looked online and couldn't find anything to help me work more effectively, so about 4 weeks ago I decided to build something to help myself be more structured about my training. I have something out and I'd love people who have read the scc (or other training book) to take a look and help me decide where to dedicate my limited development time to improve the site as a service to the climbing community. The site is called http://www.trackmyclimbingtraining.com - it's in private alpha right now (meaning there is no way to register - limited development time!). So if you're interested in helping out/using a tool to track your training either drop me a line here or send an e-mail to trackmyclimbingtraining at gmail.com.

Thanks,

David

(This post was edited by jumpingrock on Nov 23, 2014, 9:12 PM)

jumpingrock

Nov 23, 2014, 9:13 PM
Post #2 of 4 (8459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Tracking your training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a twat. I mistyped the url for my own site :-( Fixed now!

lena_chita

Nov 24, 2014, 12:11 PM
Post #3 of 4 (8335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Tracking your training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tracking your training is good, of course. But most people these days have access to something like a spreadsheet program. What does your tool do better than an Excel spreadsheet?

I looked at your link, but I didn't really get a better idea of what is it that you are doing.

Is this an online tool, where you enter your summary of whatever parameter after each climbing day? Is it downloadable spreadsheets? Do you get some graphs that are built into this online tool? Is this a program that plans your workouts for you, after you enter some parameters, such as your current climbing ability, and your goal and timeframe and available training time? Are you envisioning charging money for using this? How customiseable is this, if someone is doing training other than outlined in SCC?

jumpingrock

Nov 24, 2014, 1:57 PM
Post #4 of 4 (8318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Tracking your training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your questions, I definitely need to add some of these details to the site itself but have been much more focused on delivering functionality. I'll answer your questions below and port these answers (once passed through a friend who is better at English than I) to the site.

tl;dr version: Yes, the tool is intended to be far more useful that a spreadsheet in google docs.

longer version:

In reply to:
What does your tool do better than an Excel spreadsheet?

Currently, it provides guidance in terms of a small set of exercises that I have pre-configured. It gives you the ability to create a weekly plan and then once you have completed your planned session you can log your session and will soon be able to log achievements such as sends, onsights or even simply number of one armed pull ups.

Eventually (say 2 - 3 months) I intend to allow you to customize your workout template (so customize the set of activities that are selectable for a session), do a self assessment which will then allow the tool to suggest activities/grades for your sessions (or at least make creating a targetted session easier) and view graphs and charts to track your progression (such as a performance pyramid). I also intend to allow you to have partners with whom you can share your planned sessions.

Additionally, the site is on the cloud and mobile ready so you can access and modify your sessions from where ever you are.

In reply to:
Is this an online tool, where you enter your summary of whatever parameter after each climbing day?

It is an online tool, and yes, you could simply enter the summary after a climbing day. The intent is to also help you plan your sessions and then track those sessions, but you don't need to plan if you don't want to.

In reply to:
Is it downloadable spreadsheets?

No. But if somebody wanted this badly enough, I'd certainly consider implementing it.

In reply to:
Do you get some graphs that are built into this online tool?

Currently I have no graphs, but I intend to have some graphs in the not too distant future. I have some graphs in my head (say: which days do you feel best while climbing, performance pyramid, etc) but would be happy to take some guidance on what graphs are interesting/useful.

In reply to:
Is this a program that plans your workouts for you, after you enter some parameters, such as your current climbing ability, and your goal and timeframe and available training time?

I don't think that it will ever plan your workouts for you, however, I am talking with a climbing coach and we might do something like canned workout plans - say 10 weeks to 10b or something like that. I might also look into ways to actually connect coaches and people who want coaches - so the coach can plan workouts for their students. But base functionality will simply provide guidance without actually planning for you. So for example, if during your self-assesment you identify that endurance is your weakness, it might suggest that you do more 4x4s than threshold bouldering.

In reply to:
Are you envisioning charging money for using this?

Not currently. Base functionality will never cost money. More advanced functionality such as coaching or getting a workout plan might be charged. I'm doing this because I'm building a tool that I'd like to use, not as a startup idea. I haven't quit my day job. It would be great to eventually have a suistainable business, but right now that's not even on the horizon.

In reply to:
How customiseable is this, if someone is doing training other than outlined in SCC?

Currently not at all. Long term I am working with a high level ice climber training for the world cup. Her workouts are barely similar to those in the SCC and I'd like to cater to her, so yes the goal is customizable.

---

Thanks for asking the questions! Even just writing the answers down here will help me out. The project is still very early days but I hope to grow it into something useful for people other than me!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook