Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
recomended climbs in tonsai/railey
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

samroberts

Sep 24, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #1 of 2 (3014 views)
Shortcut

recomended climbs in tonsai/railey  (Asia: Thailand: Southern_Provinces)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The guide books are pretty weak on recommendations for routes, here are the routes you should do, IMHO, when you go.

3-star routes are ones I'd make sure I do again if I had the chance, 2-star are ones I'm really happy I did, 1-star and 0-star aren't in this list.

For the record, I like long continuous routes with interesting features and fun moves, but some routes make the list because of positioning (right off the beach, for example).

• Banana Hammock, 6a+, The Nest **

• Dozer Days, 6c, The Nest ***: good roof, hard face moves, cool stemming to stalactites

• Groove Tuby, 6a, Fire Wall **: easy climb up a chimney, but great positioning

• Missing Snow, 6b+, Tyrolean **: neat melting wax rock

• Smoking Room, 6c, Melting Wall ***: roof, stalactites, stemming, powerful at times, overhanging, its got it all

• Cross-Eyed, 7b, Melting Wall ***: crazy huecos, big dynos, powerful slightly overhanging face, and fine positioning

• I no speak England, 6b+, Tonsai **

• Land of smiles, 7a/7b, Happy Island ***: crazy complex crux over this weird blob on an otherwise blank wall, and continuous hard and delicate climbing above

• Don't worry, be happy, 6a+, Happy Island ***: Julie really liked this, I didn't do it. Get a boost to the first bolt!

• King Cat, 6c, Cat Wall ***: so overhanging, its hard to believe its climbable, but it is!

• the 6a's on Cobra Wall **

• Circus Oz, 6a+, Thaiwand ***: long and fun

• The King and I, 7a, Thaiwand: long, fun, intimidating, lots of endurance and then powerful

• Fit to be Thaid, 6a+, Thaiwand ***

• Beauty and the Beast, 6a+, Tonsai **: deep breath, and let yourself fall out to the stalactite, fun!

• Heart of Darkness, 6c+/7a, Cat Wall ***: 5 pitches of fun climbing, continuous at the grade, and a beautiful mid-height belay ledge to look out over the bay from, and goes right to the top of the wall (unlike most multipitch down there)

• Humanlity, 6b+, Tonsai **: overrated, its got a nasty start, some boring pitches, and a stellar move at midheight, despite this its right over the beach so wins based on positioning

• Love for Travelling, 7a+/6c, Tonsai ***: funky moves, deep pockets, stemming, chimneying, roofs and cracks, great!

• Monkey Love, 6b, Thaiwand **

• Mala Mujer, 6b, Thaiwand ***: long and fun

• Fire Starter, 6c+, Fire Wall **

• Burnt Offerings, 7a+, Fire Wall ***: great photos, good moves over an improbable cave mouth

• Beauty and the Beast, 6b, Monkey World ***: first pitches are ok, but the last is a full 30 metres of continuously fun and interesting stemming, chimneying, face, tufas, etc., great Thai limestone!

• Lion King, 6c+, Dum's Kitchen ***: too hard for the grade, but fun, and gets an extra star for coming straight off the beach

• Caroline's Last Day, 6a, The Nest **: fun chimney, and Wee's guidebook is wrong, it's been rebolted with titanium glue-ins

• Big Wave, 6b, Monkey Wall ***: first pitch is ok, but next 3 pitches are uniformly fabulous, differ from each in character, and it goes to just 10 feet short of the top! Great route, great view.

That's it.

CCSRacer

Dec 29, 2014, 4:10 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samroberts] recomended climbs in tonsai/railey [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the info!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook