RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

couldxbe

Jan 5, 2015, 5:22 PM
Post #1 of 5 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Broken talus
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello

I broke my talus in a freak fall at a bouldering centre (I fell from the side wall of a slab - when I fell, my left foot hit a wall/hold instead of the pad).

I'm going insane here with the wait and not knowing. I did it 12th Dec, had two X-rays since, MRI is on Thur, and surgery consultation is on Wed.

I fractured my talar dome due to the force of my leg hitting the talus. It's a complete fracture (as in, a chip of bone sheared away from the surface) but it's minimally displaced which is why it's being treated conservatively. If the MRI reveals more significant damage, it'll be operated on.

I've lost quite a lot of mobility in my ankle, though it's not sore - mostly stiff.

Anyone else suffer something similar?

onceahardman

Jan 6, 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #2 of 5 (6349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [couldxbe] Broken talus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A broken talus can be very debilitating. What happens in the next few months will affect your quality of life for the next 50 years. Arthritic ankles are no fun. Hopefully you get great advice from your surgeon.

Are you walking on it? Using crutches? Non-displaced is good news, please keep it that way.

couldxbe

Jan 6, 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #3 of 5 (6292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Broken talus [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm non-weightbearing until further notice :( so I have to hop around everywhere.

Obviously not comparing healthcare systems, but I'm in the UK, and the NHS is suffering a little. Which means unfortunately my care is also suffering due to long outpatient wait times and stuff.

sungam

Jan 7, 2015, 8:59 AM
Post #4 of 5 (6220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Oh lawdy don't get OAHM started on the NHS. Hope you recover smoothly, though.

onceahardman

Jan 7, 2015, 11:49 AM
Post #5 of 5 (6205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

couldxbe wrote:
I'm non-weightbearing until further notice :( so I have to hop around everywhere.

Obviously not comparing healthcare systems, but I'm in the UK, and the NHS is suffering a little. Which means unfortunately my care is also suffering due to long outpatient wait times and stuff.

I know NWB (non weightbearing) sucks, but please be patient and compliant. You have one chance to avoid a potential lifetime of chronic pain.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook