RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

radarcarve

Jan 18, 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #1 of 3 (5820 views)
Shortcut

Famous climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is another post where the question was asked, " who is the most famous climber you ever climbed with". It degenerated into nonsense very quickly, and I realized that any post that I would make would be swallowed up by the BS. So, I am trying to restart this. I was 18 in 1967, and started climbing in the Organ Mountains of southern New Mexico. I did 500 climbs in 7 years, including 75 first ascents. Climbed with Fred Becky on 6 firsts in California, including Horse Creek Tower... and bailed out of Bubbs's Creek Wall in King's Canyon (the first try) with Fred because of weather (certainly not my fear factor, I hope). Also bailed from Sentinel on the Chouinard Herbert route with Fred because of rain, on the 8th pitch. Did 2 routes in the organs with Chuck Pratt (one of the most laid back guys I have ever met). The two were 5.7ish, and he loved them! Met Chris Bonnington, Tom Frost, Royal Robbins... and when I was at the Awhannee Hotel gift shop for a book signing n(Galen Rowell's "The vertical world of Yosemite"), I had all the climbers sign my book... Warren Harding, Allen Steck, Royal, of course, even Anton Nelson ("AX). Wayne Merry, Jeez... who else? There are perhaps 6 more... but my memory fades. Oh! Sheridan Anderson, the cartoonist (who did so many great rock climbing cartoons... but sadly died shortly after). Also had some great (and long!) phone calls with Yvon Chouinard, Heinrich Harrer, and of course Fred Beckey.
But... was noticed by Sam Kinnison in the Honolulu airport, which is perhaps the high point... Lee Davis

majid_sabet

Jan 22, 2015, 11:42 PM
Post #2 of 3 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [radarcarve] Famous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

without Werner's sign the book is worthless

moose_droppings

Jan 23, 2015, 5:07 AM
Post #3 of 3 (5497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [radarcarve] Famous climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jim Bridwell?

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook