RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

Nov 17, 2014, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 13 (9688 views)
Shortcut

Comp climbing and North America
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not sure how many of you saw my GoFundMe page talking for the Ice Climbing World Cup. I didn't want to come out begging for money, but I did ask people to click on the link and at least read what Nathan and I had to say about why we thought competition climbing was important.

Since I had to remove that link I decided to post that part from my GoFundMe page:

GoFundMe wrote:
This past winter at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, the UIAA (International Alpine Association) put on an ice climbing demonstration. In 2022 the UIAA hopes that ice climbing will make its debut in the Olympics as an official event. Currently the groundwork for the future Canadian Olympic Team is being built by a few individuals. While there have been big advances in the last two years, North America is still trailing behind the rest of the World in this growing sport and we need your help to keep making progress.

This winter Nathan Kutcher will be representing Canada for the third year as member of the National Ice Climbing Team. This will be the first year for his wife Rebecca Lewis on the National Team. Despite being some of North America's best ice/mixed climbers, neither is a “professional climber” and they support themselves from outside the climbing industry. Both are heavily involved with the local climbing community and want to see climbing grow responsibly. They feel that competing on a world scale is important to the development of climbing in North America. As an organized activity it gives positive exposure and helps to validate climbing to the non-climbing public. Public support and good public perception can have implications for things such as climbing access throughout North America.

I would like to point out that there are a number of non sponsored athletes competing at the World Cup event in Bozeman. Along with trying to bring a higher visibility and improving the public's opinion about climbing, I hope that comp climbing can also inspire North American climbers to push a little harder and train a little better.

granite_grrl

Nov 26, 2014, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 13 (9386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Comp climbing and North America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

2015 UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup Trailer:

http://vimeo.com/110572346

granite_grrl

Dec 11, 2014, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 13 (9178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Bozeman right now, ice fest is just kicking off. Prelims lake place this Friday!

16 American, 6 Canadian men.
6 American, 5 Canadian women.

44 men total, 19 women. Some very good competitors coming from overseas. Hopefully NA will put in a good showing!

lena_chita

Dec 11, 2014, 3:53 PM
Post #4 of 13 (9138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
In Bozeman right now, ice fest is just kicking off. Prelims lake place this Friday!

16 American, 6 Canadian men.
6 American, 5 Canadian women.

44 men total, 19 women. Some very good competitors coming from overseas. Hopefully NA will put in a good showing!

Kick ass! (I was going to say, "break a leg", but decided against it for some reason)

granite_grrl

Dec 13, 2014, 1:14 PM
Post #5 of 13 (8992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Comp climbing and North America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Up at 5:30am this morning in Bozeman to get into women's isolation around 6:30. Pretty nervous, but I came in 12th of 18 women yesterday in the prelims. Hope to do as well again this morning.

granite_grrl

Dec 17, 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #6 of 13 (8753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some of my thoughts after my first comp (aka - comp climbing is hard!).

http://mixedprogression.wordpress.com/...essons-from-bozeman/

granite_grrl

Jan 9, 2015, 1:26 PM
Post #7 of 13 (8243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Big weekend for comp climbing!

The second Ice Climbing World Cup event is happening in Cheongsong, Korea. Time difference makes things funny, but the qualifiers start at 7pm EST tonight. You should be able to live stream at http://www.iceclimbingworldcup.org.

In Cheongsong we have 2 Canadians and 2 Americans: Nathan Kutcher, Gord McArthur, Mark Beverly and Erin Weber. Erin participated at the Bozeman comp last year, but I think this may be her first official Ice Climbing World Cup event.

Also happening this weekend is the Ouray ice festival. The lead comp kicks off at 9am MST on Saturday and the speed comp 9am MST on Sunday. Personally, I am most interested in Kendra Stritch in the speed comp coming from her first place finish at Bozeman.

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2015, 2:38 PM
Post #8 of 13 (8052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's talk about youth comps.

Did you guys know there was a UIAA sanctioned youth comp in Durango, CO, just a couple of weeks ago?

This weekend in Saas Fee, Switzerland there is an official UIAA Youth World Championship. Very few North Americans there unfortunately. We have Justin Willis from Bozeman, MT and Karlee Hall and Noah Beck from Cranbrook, BC.

Hopefully in a few years they will take over the Ice World Cup Comp circuit.

granite_grrl

Jan 21, 2015, 2:16 PM
Post #9 of 13 (7809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So I'm leaving for Europe this afternoon. 18 days, 3 comps - Saas Fee, Switzerland, Rabenstein, Italy and Champangy, France. I will be the only Canadian woman competing. Kendra Stritch will be the only American woman competing (watch for he in the speed comp!).

Yes, I'm quite intimidated.

I've already posted up a link to my blog in this thread. I'll be trying to keep it updated through this journey if anyone cares to check in.

https://mixedprogression.wordpress.com/

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Jan 21, 2015, 2:17 PM)

granite_grrl

Feb 5, 2015, 9:44 PM
Post #10 of 13 (7413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, doing my forth Ice World Cup comp tomorrow here in France. Learning lots, but I have so much to work on!

mojomonkey

Feb 6, 2015, 1:42 PM
Post #11 of 13 (7371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats, and have fun!

granite_grrl

Feb 6, 2015, 9:39 PM
Post #12 of 13 (7340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Comp climbing and North America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! Made it into semis today. Get to compete again tomorrow!

granite_grrl

Mar 6, 2015, 1:56 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last comp for this year's Ice Climbing World Cup is happening in Kirov Russia today and tomorrow. I don't have enough vacation time to attend this comp, but Canadians Nathan Kutcher, Stephanie (Mehrnoosh) Mahallati and Gordon McArthur are all there.

It was tight to get your visa for this comp this year so there are no American's in the line up. Typically American Marc Beverly does the live stream commentary, but he didn't make it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan and Gord help out with that once they're done competing, but they will likely both make it to semi finals so who knows.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook