RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

RiseAlways

Mar 20, 2015, 6:23 PM
Post #1 of 8 (10563 views)
Shortcut

TC Pro Sizing, to small or just right?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all. I'm new here actually. Getting back into climbing after years of, well, nothing!

I've tried on a bunch of shoes but gravitated to the TC Pro because of the shape and the ankle if I get into crack climbing.

I usually wear a size 9 in a street shoe/sneaker, (usually New Balance but they're known to run a little off).

I just traced my feet and measured accordingly and the measurement is 10.5, which in turn equates to a size 9.5US sized shoe. (I went by my bigger foot, this being the right foot.).
Let me also say, when measured on a professional foot scale in a store, I've always measured literally in between a medium and a wide width. I also have a narrow heel,...so here I am,..narrow heel, wide foot basically!Crazy

I ordered in two sizes in the TC Pro,...
41 and a 41.5

---The 41.5 is very snug and tight, but not painfully so, just uncomfortable, bordering on very uncomfortable. When I mimic doing a smear, it tightens up a lot but still is not intolerable and horribly painful. Every toe pushes up against the front of the shoe, but they are not in a slightly crimping or curling form. They probably lay pretty much flat.

---The 41, is TIGHT.
The rim of the back of the shoe is damn tight and all my toes press fairly hard on the front when I'm just standing.
When I mimic a smear the toes jam into the front and you can feel my toenails being jammed up pretty well along with the toes themselves. Painful.
Width is fine on both 41 and 41.5...there's no issue there.

I walked around the house for about 45-60 minutes or so with them on. Once with the 41 once with the 41.5,.... the 41's get real jammed up,.. very uncomfortable like they're in a vice or someone's got a bunch of rope wrapped around them real tight.

41.5 are tight, and if I cinch up the laces a lot, they get real tight bu nowhere near the size 41's!!!
(when I go to take a step you can actually see the size 41's push forward where my toes are pushing the front of the toe box out.

Where do I go from here guys?

Dip

Mar 20, 2015, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 8 (10552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RiseAlways] TC Pro Sizing, to small or just right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't go super tight. Get the 41.5's or maybe even better send 'em all back and get 42's. Foot jamming in too tight shoes kinda sucks.

RiseAlways

Mar 20, 2015, 7:55 PM
Post #3 of 8 (10546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] TC Pro Sizing, to small or just right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
I wouldn't go super tight. Get the 41.5's or maybe even better send 'em all back and get 42's. Foot jamming in too tight shoes kinda sucks.

Yeah,..reading this I think the 41.5s are the way to go,... 42s will just be sloppy for me.

With that lousy ass narrow heel of mine, everything just starts to be an ill-fitting wonky issue,.. then I've got to fine tune stuff with laces. I find after two hours of bouldering and climbing at the gym my feet feel swollen a bit. I can't imagine a REAL tight foot after two hours!??? Unsure

(This post was edited by RiseAlways on Mar 20, 2015, 8:15 PM)

RiseAlways

Mar 23, 2015, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 8 (10311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking smaller will be insanely painful,....

curt

Mar 26, 2015, 6:51 AM
Post #5 of 8 (10211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RiseAlways wrote:
Hello all. I'm new here actually. Getting back into climbing after years of, well, nothing!

I've tried on a bunch of shoes but gravitated to the TC Pro because of the shape and the ankle if I get into crack climbing.

I usually wear a size 9 in a street shoe/sneaker, (usually New Balance but they're known to run a little off).

I just traced my feet and measured accordingly and the measurement is 10.5, which in turn equates to a size 9.5US sized shoe. (I went by my bigger foot, this being the right foot.).
Let me also say, when measured on a professional foot scale in a store, I've always measured literally in between a medium and a wide width. I also have a narrow heel,...so here I am,..narrow heel, wide foot basically!Crazy

I ordered in two sizes in the TC Pro,...
41 and a 41.5

---The 41.5 is very snug and tight, but not painfully so, just uncomfortable, bordering on very uncomfortable. When I mimic doing a smear, it tightens up a lot but still is not intolerable and horribly painful. Every toe pushes up against the front of the shoe, but they are not in a slightly crimping or curling form. They probably lay pretty much flat.

---The 41, is TIGHT.
The rim of the back of the shoe is damn tight and all my toes press fairly hard on the front when I'm just standing.
When I mimic a smear the toes jam into the front and you can feel my toenails being jammed up pretty well along with the toes themselves. Painful.
Width is fine on both 41 and 41.5...there's no issue there.

I walked around the house for about 45-60 minutes or so with them on. Once with the 41 once with the 41.5,.... the 41's get real jammed up,.. very uncomfortable like they're in a vice or someone's got a bunch of rope wrapped around them real tight.

41.5 are tight, and if I cinch up the laces a lot, they get real tight bu nowhere near the size 41's!!!
(when I go to take a step you can actually see the size 41's push forward where my toes are pushing the front of the toe box out.

Where do I go from here guys?

Do you wear other La Sportiva shoes? The TC Pro seems to be sized a little smaller than either the Miura or the Katana--so go 1/2 size larger than you would size them.

Curt

RiseAlways

Mar 26, 2015, 4:50 PM
Post #6 of 8 (10180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] TC Pro Sizing, to small or just right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
[quote
Do you wear other La Sportiva shoes? The TC Pro seems to be sized a little smaller than either the Miura or the Katana--so go 1/2 size larger than you would size them.

Curt

I was wearing a flimsy pair of Evol Defy shoes for a long while,....though I've tried on a ton of other Sportiva shoes, and yes, if I recall correctly, even the Tarantulace was in a smaller size, like a 41? I tried on the Miura in lace and velcro,.. the velcro ran about a half size smaller than the lace version, ..... noticeably different sizing!!
I've been leaning toward just sticking with the 41.5's,.. the only concern is my narrow heel,...here's why...
with that narrow heel I find that even if I cinch up the 41.5 shoe when I take a step, there's a tiny "sucking" sound that comes from the rear area of my arch, and you can feel the footbed slip down there.
That's not to say its a loose shoe, but that its something I wonder if it would get looser later on or stay the same?
These appear to be lined so I'm thinking they're not going to stretch?
I know many reviews say they will stretch out, some people say they'll stretch out at least a half size,... other reviews of guys climbing with them for several months say they aren't stretching out.

I've been slipping on the 41's to see if they're stretching out or conforming a little better and there's only been the tiniest improved difference (or maybe its just me, probably the latter?)Wink

Thoughts??

climber511

Apr 9, 2015, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 8 (9931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm making some assumptions here. You are not going to be climbing at the upper levels for a while if you are just getting back into things. TC Pros are usually thought of as an all day, all purpose shoe. With that in mind I wouldn't size them like a sport climbing shoe for really hard climbing. I would buy them so I could wear them without actual pain and no need to remove them after a pitch. You won't enjoy your climbing if your feet are in agony. Just my opinion but we don't need or even want painfully small shoes until we are climbing at a pretty high level - I don't mean street shoe comfy but you shouldn't be losing your toenails either.

notapplicable

Apr 11, 2015, 3:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (9836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are a leather shoe and stretch some but not a whole lot.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook