RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kcole

Apr 26, 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #1 of 6 (8718 views)
Shortcut

suggested alpine approach shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm buying new approach shoes for a trip this summer to the North Cascades. One intended objective will be the North Ridge of Mt. Stuart. Approach will include some mileage, perhaps throwing on some yak-tracks for slow and glacier, and then wearing during part of the rock climbing if I'm not wearing climbing slippers.

Would love recommendations on approach shoes for such alpine objectives. Thanks!

6pacfershur

Apr 29, 2015, 1:04 AM
Post #2 of 6 (8478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kcole] suggested alpine approach shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kcole wrote:
......perhaps throwing on some yak-tracks for slow and glacier, and then wearing during part of the rock climbing if I'm not wearing climbing slippers.........

this will be harsh, but it doesnt quite sound like you know what you're talking about....find a REAL person that has done some alpine climbing/mountaineering and ask them your questions; you will get plenty of advice on the interwebz, most of it no better than mine....

(This post was edited by 6pacfershur on Apr 29, 2015, 1:54 AM)

lena_chita

Apr 29, 2015, 5:42 PM
Post #3 of 6 (8437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kcole wrote:
I'm buying new approach shoes for a trip this summer to the North Cascades. One intended objective will be the North Ridge of Mt. Stuart. Approach will include some mileage, perhaps throwing on some yak-tracks for slow and glacier, and then wearing during part of the rock climbing if I'm not wearing climbing slippers.

Would love recommendations on approach shoes for such alpine objectives. Thanks!

Basically, you are looking for approach shoes that can also handle easy climbing? In that case, my vote would be for 5.10 guide tennies. But any approach shoe that is comfortable for you should be fine. Tennies don't have much cushioning in them, so if you have bad knees or ankles, it might be too rough for the hike, but I really like them.

The yak-trax fit over a wide range of shoes (I have them, they fit equally well over my giant winter snowboots and my wear-to-work shoes), so I don't think your choice of approach shoes will affect that.

But it also doesn't sound like you would need them? Admittedly, I haven't done the route, and I don't know how hard you climb, and what's your alpine experience, but from this report of another summer ascent:

http://www.summitpost.org/...art-in-a-push/540263

looks like they just had tennis shoes for the hike on the 4th class and 5.easy, and climbing shoes for the 5.9 sections, and they make no mention of needing crampons.

(This post was edited by lena_chita on Apr 29, 2015, 5:47 PM)

sungam

Apr 29, 2015, 8:49 PM
Post #4 of 6 (8425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] suggested alpine approach shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
The yak-trax fit over a wide range of shoes
If these are the same types of things as I have used - they do work one all kinds of shoes but having a nice stiff sole (like the tennies, as opposed to something like the Evolv Stryker which climbs much better but is very soft soled) will make them a LOT more comfortable over time.

I have some tennies and they are pretty good, though as you said they don't have the most underfoot cushioning so your feel/joints could feel it if you or your bag is quite heavy.

whatever you do, make sure they fit your feet well and get some good socks (darn tough socks 4 lyfe).

kcole

May 10, 2015, 12:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (8280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] suggested alpine approach shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback.

6pacfershur, we'are doing the entire N Ridge and not the couloir. With the poor snowfall this year, good likelihood we may not encounter much snow or glacier crossing at all, so yaktraks will be perfectly sufficient for our route. Thanks anyways....

(This post was edited by kcole on May 10, 2015, 12:04 PM)

6pacfershur

May 13, 2015, 1:55 AM
Post #6 of 6 (8150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yaktrax, ICEtrekkers, Stabilicers etc. are not climbing gear. the manufacturers consumer info clearly states this. the quality of the materials isnt top-notch either, they break easily. also, the little fuckers have a nasty habit of pulling off your boot in wet, heavy snow ( think N. cascades late-season dump) i go through a pair or two each winter just taking my kids out and walking the dogs after work here in anchorage. a better choice would be Kahtoola hiking crampons or Petzl Crab 6 crampons.

(This post was edited by 6pacfershur on May 13, 2015, 4:28 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook