Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
John Sherman / Queen Creek controversy (merged topics)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

sonso45

May 3, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #151 of 156 (5796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lazymonkey] Letter to John Sherman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oak Flat is still in public hands. RCM is mining all around it. We continue to enjoy access to all the areas in Queen Creek. Climb anywhere you like and camp at the campground anytime you like. But you better hurry.

The latest legislation proposing a land swap has just been introduced. I have yet to read it. I am sure it will follow previous incarnations.

I continue to oppose the mining method, as do many of my friends. The issue remains in doubt and we should continue to contact our legislators with our heartfelt desire to keep this beautiful area intact.

roninthorne

Dec 14, 2014, 4:08 AM
Post #152 of 156 (5337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Sherman sells out AZ climbers on Queen Creek/Oak Flat ac [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, here is the thing about this particular mine site. Resolution Copper does not own the land--we do. That is to say, the Oak Flat campground is part of the Tonto National Forest. It is public land. Additionally, mining has been banned by Presidential Order at Oak Flat for the last 50 years, when President Eisenhower issued Public Land Order (PLO) 1229 in 1955.

Curt

And, just like that, we don't.

I wish I could still feel surprised.

(This post was edited by roninthorne on Dec 14, 2014, 4:11 AM)

roninthorne

Dec 20, 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #153 of 156 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Sherman sells out AZ climbers on Queen Creek/Oak Flat ac [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://roninsroad.blogspot.com/...ere-fck-are-you.html

curt

Jan 1, 2015, 1:29 AM
Post #154 of 156 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Sherman sells out AZ climbers on Queen Creek/Oak Flat ac [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
In reply to:

Well, here is the thing about this particular mine site. Resolution Copper does not own the land--we do. That is to say, the Oak Flat campground is part of the Tonto National Forest. It is public land. Additionally, mining has been banned by Presidential Order at Oak Flat for the last 50 years, when President Eisenhower issued Public Land Order (PLO) 1229 in 1955.

Curt

And, just like that, we don't.

Actually, Oak Flat is still public land and will be for at least several more years. The language in Section 3003 of Title XXX of the National Defense Authorization Act (what the Resolution Copper land exchange bill is now) calls for a full EIS to be done on the project BEFORE any public land can change title and transfer into RCM ownership.

The Access Fund, Sierra Club, Arizona Mining Reform Coalition, Concerned Citizens and Retired Miners of Superior, Center for Biological Diversity, Maricopa Audubon, San Carlos Apache Tribe, Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, National Congress of American Indians and many other interested parties will be fighting this for years to come.

Curt

sonso45

Jan 9, 2015, 4:38 PM
Post #155 of 156 (4838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Sherman sells out AZ climbers on Queen Creek/Oak Flat ac [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It took at least ten years for this to happen. Many AZ and other climbers have worked to keep this open since the mine was proposed. Many people are still actively working to mitigate the damage this mine will cause on our land.

Let's keep looking forward until the last straw is blown away. Let's keep using the area and show the people that really matter that we cherish Oak Flat. By using it we can keep this place alive.

(This post was edited by sonso45 on Jan 9, 2015, 4:39 PM)

sonso45

Apr 27, 2015, 5:18 PM
Post #156 of 156 (4276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Sherman sells out AZ climbers on Queen Creek/Oak Flat ac [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Currently, the San Carlos Apache are holding an Occupy Oak Flat encampment in Oak Flat Campground. If you would like to pay your respects while climbing there, they are an easy presence to spot. The first camp on the left in campground is their HQ.

The tribal members present invite all climbers to say hello, join in the afternoon sweat lodge or morning prayers (0900). Just ask about protocol and help us maintain a bastion against the devastation of Oak Flat.

All areas are still accessible and please be respectful while in the campground.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook