RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Nov 25, 2001, 9:04 PM
Post #1 of 2 (745 views)
Shortcut

Female training.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for any tips/techniques/training methods that women have used to learn to climb or work into advanced training.

ie:

-learning to do pullups
-tips for snaking through moves which the boys usually power through
-getting around the reachy moves

basically anything that you felt you had to learn differently from the boys. I'm trying to compile some women specific training exercises which will appear as an article or two on the site, as well as possibly working its way into a publication.

If you could send any info you have to fiend@rockclimbing.com it would be greatfully appreciated. (please include your name etc, as you may be credited for contributed exercises or info.)

I would really prefer it if you could email this info rather than post here, it will be shared with the public but I'd rather have a chance to incorporate it with my own information to make a more comprehensive guide to women's climbing.

PS, any pictures would be awesome as well. eg, if you have a special technique for learning pull-ups then include a photo sequence or something

rck_climber

Nov 25, 2001, 10:23 PM
Post #2 of 2 (745 views)
Shortcut

Female training. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I'm sure I'm not the guy you wanted to have be the first reply.....but...

I do have some insight on two of those:

1. Learning to do pull-ups.
Being in the military, we get to do lots of them and I'm often given young soldiers who were complete couch potatoes before they came in and can't even begin to do a pull-up. So, I have to train them up to it. At the gym there is a machine that will allow you to stand on a bar while doing pull-ups that will take some of the weight off so you're not forced to start with your complete body weight. Depending on the person's physical fitness, you can add or take off that counterweight and continue to train until the person can do a bunch on their own. I also use it on my fourth set so I can continue to workout even though I'm no longer able to lift my entire body weight up, allows me to get a complete muscle-failure workout.

3. Getting around the reachy moves. As a rather short guy, I can tell you that nearly everything is a reachy move to me, therefore I have some insight on this too (but probably nothing that you haven't thought of). Instead of just reaching up for that big jug like my tall, lengthy b@stard partners, I'm always forced to find a better way to get there as I can never seem to reach it. Instead, I've had to perfect the dyno and use it functionally, whereas most use it as a show-off move. I also use deadpoints, but usually, I am forced to make up for it in fancier footwork (read, "Smear-for-life"). This usually helps me make up that difference.

Hope this helps some.

Mick

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook