RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Jan 20, 2003, 5:55 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1591 views)
Shortcut

"Spiderman" will climb Abu Dhabi National Bank
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

World-renowned solo climber Alain Robert, alias 'Spiderman', will climb the Abu Dhabi National Bank (ADNB)building here on February 21 on the occasion of the second international 'E-ducation Without Borders Conference'.

The event has been organised by the Abu Dhabi National Bank – a major sponsor of the conference to be held at the Abu Dhabi Men's College between February 22 and 24.

The French 'spiderman' is well-known for his solo climbing of several of the highest buildings. He will perform for the first time in Abu Dhabi by climbing two buildings.

After reaching the top of the 202 metre tower of the bank, he will close the conference with another spectacular climb, to be announced only in the coming weeks. Robert will spend four days in the capital selecting potential buildings.

Announcing the event at the college, he said: "I am honoured to have been invited for the first time to the UAE for such an exploit. I believe whatever you want in life you can achieve it. It is a matter of being psychologically convinced."

With over 27 years of climbing experience, Robert has conquered skyscrapers and buildings such as the Sears Tower in Chicago, the Empire State Building in New York, Eiffel Tower in Paris, Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, Centrepoint in Sydney, and many others throughout the world.

Dr Tayeb Kamali, Vice Chancellor of the ADMC, said Robert's exploits encourage students to face the challenges without fear.

"Students around the world can look to Robert as a motivation in their studies and realise that although life may at times look difficult and barriers seem insurmountable, success can be achieved by endurance and hard work."

Robert will climb the bank building on Khalifa Street near the Abu Dhabi Corniche without ropes or equipment, using only his hands. "Of course, I had to check first that there is something to grasp, I am not a flyer. It will take about 30 to 40 minutes to reach the top.

"To succeed you must dream, but fear interferes in your dreams. Life is all about motivation."

After this he will undertake another difficult exploit in Thailand. In 1982 during a climb, he fell 15 metres and suffered multiple fractures and spent five days in a coma. The doctors said he was 66 per cent disabled, but after six months he was climbing again.

Story courtesy of www.golf-news.com

[ This Message was edited by: andy_lemon on 2003-01-19 21:56 ]

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook