Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner pbcowboy77

Jan 20, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #1 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

J-Tree Shin-Dig
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So the gathering ended up better than I could ever hope. I think the total number of people that came out just for this was 50 to 55 people (it was hard to count).

The only incident we had happened was a picnic table broke somehow, not sure what happened . But other than that everything was great, from awsome partys at night (no bob-it ) to great climbing during the day, including my hardest trad lead to date (La Reina 5.9).

I wanted to thank everyone for comming and thank everyone for a great B-Day, I had so much fun. So I just got back and wanted to start this post, I'm gonna sleep in my own bed now. I'll write more after I recover from the 40 of King Cobra malt liquer I had Saturday night.

-Zac

hangerlessbolt

Jan 20, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #2 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

J-Tree Shin-Dig [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good Monday all~

Well another gathering has come and gone. The thing with the gatherings for T and I is that it’s one of the very few times we get to see each other so we often find it difficult to balance between spending time with the group and having our alone time. So we apologize if we didn’t get to meet everyone or spend as much time with our friends as we would have liked.

Friday night T flew into Orange County. We stayed at my house for the night and decided to drive to Joshua Tree early Saturday morning.
We arrived in the Hemingway Buttress parking lot at 8:30. Adam and Karen pulled up and Brian was informed where we were.
T, Brian, and I then went to check out some routes on lower Dairy Queen wall.
I geared up and warmed up on Leap Year Flake 5.7. Brian and T followed. I left the anchors set up for the next route I would lead…the balancy slab route Leap Erikson 5.10a. Again, Brian and T followed. I broke down the anchors and we scrambled to the rap chains. Then it was off to what is now one of my favorite semi-easy fun routes…Get Right or Get Left 5.9. What a great climb. (Thanks Brian for showing us these routes.)

After that the three of us headed to Wonderland to do another great 5.9… High Strung.
I led, T followed, and Brian took pictures with three cameras.

Soon we parted ways with Brian. T and I headed to headstone to do SW Corner just as the sun was setting. What a gorgeous site.(and the sunset wasn’t bad either.)

We rapped off the back and headed to Indian Cove to setup camp. I cooked some pasta for dinner. After that, our romantic evening was interrupted slightly by Brian and Joseph. Apparently our presence was requested at the group campsite.

We went over and met several of the members that we know as friends and several that we met for the first time. We enjoy this part of the gatherings…being able to put names and faces together.
We stayed there for a few hours then headed back to camp.

Sunday morning, we slowly crept out of the tent. I made eggs, bacon, and country potatoes for breakfast. Then we cleaned up and packed up.
I looked over at Moosedog Tower and noticed that Art was leading one of my favorite climbs. So we drove over to watch. Also saw Adam (my brutha!) on an adjacent route.
Then we headed over to short wall. Worked on right V crack…so freaking slimy on the lower section. Soon determined that that was simply not a good warm-up. So I decided to lead the 5.7+ to the left of it. We topped out…met up with Jorge then headed over to Feudal Wall where most of the rest of the group was to say our good-byes.

We drove back to O.C. Had dinner then headed home. We looked at the pictures that we had taken…so fun…but sad in many ways. Then we spent the rest of the evening pampering ...
We got up this morning at 5 and I took her to the airport. This is always the hardest part of out trips. But we are truly blessed to be able to spend the time together that we do. I am looking to move to be with her at the end of March…wish us well.

*Peace*
~Hanger

[ This Message was edited by: hangerlessbolt on 2003-01-20 10:17 ]

danyelle

Jan 20, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #3 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I gotta start by just saying that the gathering definately "Rocked!"...I am back to the chilly east coast, and missing everyone already. Recovering from the long journey home and off to work in just a few but I wanted to thank everyone who came for their beta, their encouragement and their overall generosity in helping make my first real gathering a memorable one. I had an absoulte blast and I can't wait to see all the marvelous photos!!!

Danyelle

[ This Message was edited by: danyelle on 2003-01-20 10:21 ]

curt

Jan 20, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #4 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was really great meeting all the RC.com folks in JT that I only knew by user IDs.

mreardon, alpnclmbr1 and I bouldered Saturday and I was thoroughly trashed by the end of the day.

Then on Sunday jt512 and climbsomething tied me into a rope and abused me further. Now I am REALLY sore. It was great fun though--the aches and pain are a small price to pay!

Curt

mreardon

Jan 20, 2003, 7:08 PM
Post #5 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely a good time. My weekend started on Friday when I finally showed up at Indian Cove to see Adam (rrradam), Karen (i.karen) and Brian (toobig) all hanging out at the base of "Lascivious". Adam claimed that he had just gotten his project (but both Karen and Brian seemed to be flush with some extra cash) and they immediately peer-pressured me into jumping on the thing as a "warm-up" ("aren't you a celebrity", "Brotha' you solo harder stuff", "you may have pink streaks in your hair, but there's only room in this crowd for one girl"). Nothing like hopping on an 11c in jeans straight from the car! But I got back at them, besides finding a no hands rest (the only reason I managed to get that thing clean), I made sure the hole in my jeans was strategically placed to ensure proper eyestrain to those watching.

Done with that epic, we headed to the campsite to wait for everyone and spent the remaining light bouldering around (note to self, get bigger before spotting toobig again) and watching Adam try his best to set up a slackline (I'm still thinking you should have put it over the firepit). Usual rambling around the fire that evening with Matt and I practicing our mantel techniques on the bathroom roof, and it was great to finally put a face to most of the names (and a couple of cute bodies as well - yes I mean you Brian ).

Next morning, Brian and I stopped cuddling long enough to head out to the Country Kitchen for a proper breakfast (still not sure exactly what was in those potatos) and as Curt stated above, then met up with Curt and Dan and went bouldering to a couple places that Curt had been holding out. Perfect edges without the typical Josh grit allowed for a full day of pulling without the fingertip pain. And Curt is being polite, but his "old" ass definitely gave me a tune up at his favorite spots. I managed to shine a couple moments, but Curt was definitely the star on Saturday (I'm still recovering from one of those moves I tried to copy). And in a couple cases, it was only because I knew those two were great spotters that I managed to keep myself out of too much trouble (thanks again for being ready on that last problem, that was going to hurt!). I can't wait to see the photos when they come back from the lab.

Then took a quick look around for a few of the rc.com crew but had to head back to spend some time with the family and for some additional bouldering on Sunday near the house. To Matt, Curt, Jules, Brian, and of course Adam, Karen (you're stil the most fun to spot heheh) and the rest, I'm definitely looking forward to the next time! It was a great way to start the year - so same time next month....

miker

Jan 20, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #6 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent Weekend with excellent people.

I arrived Friday just after dark to drop off wood an dmy chair at site 10 before headin' over to my site( 42-:) ). Then a little meet and greet with to many people to remember that evening and shuffling back and forth from 10 to 42.

Saturday was a day for hanging out in Indian Cove. Climbed on Pixie with cloudbreak and ktwo, even toproped that Lascivious Conduct and I think I made all the moves, but not all in a row. Next time though.

Then I led Crank Queenie across the way on Varnished Wall. A definite JTree grade 5.8+, but lotsa fun.

Then over to the back of Fuedal to follow Ride(Eric) up Noriega Does Panama 5.10a or d depending on who you ask.

Then a snack and over to the boulder problem at the base of Pixie to trash my tips completely. Kudos to cloudbreak for linking up 'most' of it.

Then we setup a toprope over Alpentine right above site 43 and after dinner various folks thrashed about on it and a few of us even made the crux at the top, although I did get it sans headlight or moonlight(it was still hidden). Just don't step in the guano!

More drinking and trying to remember poeples names.

Sunday, pack it all up and head over to DQ wall to climb around with Jeff, Dave, Linda, Brock, Larry and others. Thanks for letting me climb with ya guys, good day all around.

Now I sit here back at work sorer than normal plotting the next climbing jaunt.

See ya'll soon and thanks to the birthday boy Zak for an excellent weekend!!!!!!!

Miker

meadors

Jan 20, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #7 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

photo tease please.

hanger, T, adam, karen, toobig -dang i missed it this year.

hangerlessbolt

Jan 20, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #8 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries Andy…I’ll post some of ours tonight…they’re sitting patiently on my laptop. And we did miss ya bro!

Btw: I will say that I’m quite surprised that High Strung doesn’t see a lot more traffic than it does. What a great route.

And yet again, I missed meeting the one and only mreardon…which is okay…it’s not like I haven’t seen him a zillion freakin times on the videos I have at home.

pranaguy

Jan 20, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #9 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So my first "offical" gathering, and it was a blast. I only wish I could have stayed for Sunday Had a great time reuniting with old friends and meeting new ones. I left for J-tree immediately after classes on Friday, and met up with Addiroids around 3. We did some nondescript climb, then decided to head over to Hemmingway Buttress for my first real trad lead...White Lightning Let me tell yah, it was awesome. The highlight of the weekend was was topping out on that with the sun setting, and the full moon glowing in the sunset. So after that, I took off to Indian Cove, and Paul left for Palm Springs. Apon arrival, I met Adam, Karen, Brian, and Mike Reardon just about to head of for some eats, so I joined them. (First time at the Thai Place, too ) Then we hung out around the fire, talked, swapped stories, mantled bathrooms, and slacklined till bed. Next morning we met at Intersection Rock and headed out to Dairy Queen wall with rrrAdam, Karen, Jorge, Dave, Art and a few others, where I did my 2nd real trad lead, Mr. Misty Kiss Did some other stuff around there, including a sweet route called Adams Family that I now regret not trying to lead. Finished up on some crazy hard 5.10b, that was really crumbly and the group consensus was that it was not 10b. Then we all left to go back to the site to rendezvous for dinner, where I (briefly) met Trevor and his fam.
I had to leave before dinner though, but what a time! Thanks all for a such a cool weekend.
-Matt

ride

Jan 20, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #10 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best Weekend of climbing I've had in a while!
It was so cool to finally meet all you guys.
I was really funny too, it seemed I was the guy certain people were "looking" for, hmmm I wonder why???

I *had* to give that shirt to rrrAdam, it just fit that situation *way* too well.
(if you weren't there, I'm sure you'll be seeing pictures soon)

Todd (Staticbuz, "the candyman") did his first lead (water moccasin 5.4)
We spent some time with mikereddig over at pixie and crank queenie, Todd followed, I kind of meandered around taking pictures. Then we headed over to Noriega Does Panama to see if I could still do it (I last did it about 10-12 years ago) whatever the rating on it is, it is still a damn scary lead.
The climb basically goes like this: Place foot here, Stand up, Pray. repeat.

I'm weird I guess, cause I kind of like it.

Sat. night was spent drinking a little too much beer and playing on the slack line ("Will he ever walk the line?") I made it all the way from table to table once. (I *WASN'T* running I swear. It was momentum. ), but damn that thing is addicting, I need to make one.

Sunday (for me at least) was mostly spent on La Reina (5.9) (didn't I win the "race" Zac?? ) La Reina is my hardest Trad lead too, since I've been "back" at least. I fell twice on it, sat there at the bottom for a while contemplating whether I should remain a climber, got pissed and did it on the third try. I'm STOKED!! At least I did it, next time I'll do it in one shot. ANd as I topped out I heard someone say it was 12:45. Oh $*17!!!! I thought, I need to give the dark lord of Mordor a ride to the Airport!!
So I hightailled back to the ground, said my goodbyes and headed out to ONT with Sauron.

All in all, it was great, I can't wait to do it again. You guys (and girls) are all great climbers and great people.

ed for spelling and I forgot something

[ This Message was edited by: ride on 2003-01-20 13:11 ]

jareks

Jan 20, 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #11 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was my first gathering and it was awsome everybody was great and realy helpfull. I would really like to thank pbcowboy77 for organazing this and also for letting me climb with him, even after i chicken out on the double pitch climb. Everybody was awsome and I'm looking forward to see all of you somewere along my jurney to climb Climb On

addiroids

Jan 21, 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #12 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, sorry I missed it all folks. After doing The Exorcist in Hall of Horrors, Pranaguy and I went to White Lightening, then I jetted back to Palm Springs where I proceeded to go out with some friends.

After about 5 beers (and 3 hours out) I decided to drive home instead of riding with one of the sober friends (mistake #1). I accidently turned the wrong way on a one way (mistake #2) where a member of the porcine genus flipped on his lights instantly. I got scared and decided to floor it (mistake #3, 4, and 5) taking the porcine patrol on a little high speed chase through the streets of quite Palm Springs where it finally ended in a little creek when I couldn't really make the last turn in my gas-a-holic SUV. 10 cars had their lights on me as I stepped out and got the cold slap of steel on my wrists. My car is mostly okay, except for the bumper, but I might have Felony Evasion on my record unless I can come up with some bucks for a good lawyer.

So no climbing this weekend, but if I still have my liscense after all this crap, maybe I will make it to the Moab Gathering. Meanwhile I will be looking for partners to take me to Josh to either be a rope gun or belay slave for. And when Tahquitz warms up, gear schlepping will be gladly exchanged for a ride up there. I will let you all know more as the story unfolds.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

hangerlessbolt

Jan 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #13 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m sorry to hear that bro…damn…I wish you well.
Pleased to hear that no one was injured.

Take care,
Rob

ride

Jan 21, 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #14 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn d00d... that sux...

are we going to see you on "Real TV" now Paul?

[ This Message was edited by: ride on 2003-01-20 16:46 ]

jeepmonkey

Jan 21, 2003, 1:10 AM
Post #15 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn Paul, that sucks. I was wondering where you were Sat and Sunday so I could redeem my self from the miserable showing of a couple of weeks ago. Hope all goes well.

I won't elaborate on the rousting of Robert and T. Suffice it to say we weren't sure if anyone was in the tent until we got a little chuckle out of T.

It was great to see people I hadn't seen in 6-12 months: T, Robert, Dominic, TooBig,Jay. It was equally fun to meet new people: Curt (I'm not the only one who wears Arcteryx clothing Adam), Todd (I promise to not move any of your posts on shoes as long as they are not in the general forum , "CandyMan",Hilary, Tim & his fiance and many others whose user names have slipped my memory.

I think this gathering once again showed that one of the great things about this site is the way it brings folks together.

Hope to make it to Moab and see some of you again.

Joseph

pranaguy

Jan 21, 2003, 2:05 AM
Post #16 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh! Paul! Who will teach me more of the ways of the Trad if you get thrown in the slammer??? Man, I wish I went with you guys so I coulda driven your drunken azz back to J- tree where the real party was. Anyways, sorry to hear about that little misadventure, I'm glad to hear you are okay. On a side note, the nondescript climb I referred to in my previous post was not the Exorcist. I arrived after that was done, but sure would have liked to climb it!
-Matt

pirateclimber

Jan 21, 2003, 2:12 AM
Post #17 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, wow, what a weekend! That full moon was amazing and the weather couldn’t have been any better. Zac, great job on the trip and on ticking La Reina, wish I had seen it. Too many people to say “great to see you” to, suffice it to say, “Hey!”. Dairy Queen Wall was fun, never been on it before, and the Rib Co. quite filling. It was some good people watching on Saturday night. “Hello, my name is...!” Although I did miss Bop-it, darn you Adam and Karen for bringing that addictive thing out on New Years! Sunday had a nice little climb after which I decided I was too tired and switched to Coronas, ranch dip, and spewing beta at Feudal Wall. It was also pretty cool to see the founder of the site out there along with his hilariously animated little midget.

The one thing that truly impressed me about this trip and this group both past and present, is the amount of support and good-natured ribbing everyone gives each other. It’s great to see so many people getting their first leads and encouraged onto harder routes every time I go out. A far cry from what you’d think from solely reading the Forums.

See you all again. -Dave

astrocrag

Jan 21, 2003, 2:41 AM
Post #18 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a great time, at least at night partying with you all at the group site. Stayed up past midnight on Friday for the first time in years, so I wasn't feeling too sociable on Sat. pbcowboy, it was really nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the birthday smoke (cigarette), you too Eric. And Eric, thanks for the beta on Reina. I was stoked to start my climbing on a 5.7 for all to see Sat. That was my first real 5.7 lead climb. Woo hoo! Thank's Matt, for the compliments.
And Paul, I feel so bad for you. I hope things work out. I ditched a cop one time, but I was lucky. They almost always catch you. I hope you learn from this experience, and gain something positive from it. Good luck.

rogueclimber

Jan 21, 2003, 3:25 AM
Post #19 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, I knew I was forgetting somthing this weekend! It sounds like everyone had a great time! CHEERS TO IT!! When is the next shindig?? Late! Gabe

climbsomething

Jan 21, 2003, 6:23 AM
Post #20 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gads, Paul! Evading the police = badness.

Anyhoo... I guess that answers my question, "Where the hell were you this weekend?!"

So, I wrote a really *keen* trip report throughout the weekend and while I was chillin' on the plane. But I won't post it till I get my pics back to properly illustrate it

ooh yes, it's a gonna be a big ole Russian novel Imagine if Dostoyevsky went to Josh and then wrote a TR about it... heh heh heh

enigma

Jan 21, 2003, 6:39 AM
Post #21 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's all be extra nice to Paul, he really needs our support now. He panicked and made a mistake,he can't go backwards.
We can all be his friends and help him go forward. He's a good guy,and he has his entire life ahead of him.
He'll come through, he's strong and intelligent and he has alot of friends.
I'm sure he's suffered enough this weekend.Lets try to be available if he wants to climb guys.

pbjosh

Jan 21, 2003, 7:15 AM
Post #22 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Quote:
( So sorry that happened Paul, trying to out drive the cops,who did you think you were,O.J.??? I guess you didn't contemplate the outcome prior to the race.!)

then in a later post:

Quote:
Let's all be extra nice to Paul, he really needs our support now.

Heh that's pretty damned funny.

josh

mauriceb

Jan 21, 2003, 7:23 AM
Post #23 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear that everyone had a great time.

Although I wasn't fortunate enough to climb thru the weekend I did get to meet almost everyone Friday night around the campfire and say hello to a few familiar faces (Karen, adam, art, zac, etc).

Alan (betaflash) and I did 10 routes over the two days including Sail Away (cool) IT and Nurn'sRomp (hand cracks suck) and my first chimney, The Water Chute. Left some skin on that one.

Congrats to everyone who got there first trad lead (pranaguy) and hardest trad lead (pbcowboy). My first will be the hardest so I'll update when it happens.

See you all soon
maurice

enigma

Jan 21, 2003, 7:36 AM
Post #24 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pbjosh,
While my comments may not be obviously similiar,they are not diametrically opposed either.
Friends often have mixed emotions especially at times where there was a run in with the law.
It is possible nonetheless to have convergent feelings intially. I sincerely believe Paul made a mistake. He panicked thereby he was not malicious,nor calculated in his leaving the scene.
Therefore, I truly hope we can give him support during this trying time. Hope you can understand and relate.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 21, 2003, 2:54 PM
Post #25 of 78 (9234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice poem.

Back in MD, getting snowed on. But I have a nice sunburn from this weekend.

Thanx Zac for all the work setting this one up. Hope you liked your B-Day cake, which BTW was the ugliest thing ever made... Lady Bug cake, with 49 canldes on it. Truely tacky, but it fit. Somebody made the mistake of eating some, and had
black hands and teeth.

Mike... Got the slackline set up later that night, and improved on Sunday.

I was really stoked that Trevor (the Boss himself, and founder of RC.com) could show up with his wife Gretchin(sp?) and son Hunter. If it wans't for your inspiration 7 years ago, none of this would be happening. I owe some of my closest friends on top of meeting and/or climbing with over 170 users now nation wide to you and this site. Thanx Trev !!!

Happy to get Lascivious Conduct .11c finally on Friday, as I got shut down on it over New Years, and incurred some frequent flyer miles in the attempt. (see photo)
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=10026

Thanx for the shirt 'ride'... I'll have to try to get that pic posted over at b.com. Two punker points for you on that. And we gotta hit some shows this summer.

Did lots of climbs, and put many faces to names... Always a good thing, and look forward to hooking up with many again.

Stoked that Tim and his new fiance Cathorine could also come, as I climb with them here in MD on my temp job out here. He and I did a 2 pitch .10b Sunday morning that was just stellar.

Will post many pics sporadically.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook