RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sidepull

Nov 27, 2001, 3:18 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

homemade wood holds
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I made this same post in the indoor climbing forum but maybe i'll get a bigger response here.

Have any of you tried making wooden holds?

I've read all sorts of reasons for using them -- skin-friendly texture forces use of more finger strength, cheap, easy to make, etc. This isn't the perfect solution, splinters and time spent shaping are definite drawbacks.

If you have made your own wooden holds are there any specific tricks to avoiding hold spin?

colin

Nov 27, 2001, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

homemade wood holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sure, glue sandpaper to the back. And use a strong wood so you can really crank em down.

vicum

Dec 4, 2001, 12:26 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use two screws?

Partner pianomahnn

Dec 4, 2001, 3:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no need to post double topics in different forums. It wastes bandwidth.

graniteboy

Dec 13, 2001, 7:24 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I have made a thousand or so wood
holds. I had a one man company making black walnut and sycamore holds for gyms and friends. It takes a few hundred holds to really get to the point where you really know what you're doing. You can see some of my holds at Granite Arch in Sacto, Ca.
You need a bandsaw and a Good belt sander for the minimum gear. they are mega finger friendly, partly because wood is "warm" on your hands. You're not cooling your tendons every time you grab a hold, unlike all other holds on the market. Walnut is what's called an "open ring porous" wood, so it has capillaries that suck up sweat. Finding a walnut stump is mandatory. and that's hard to do, because walnut sells on the open market for abt 6$ a board foot. use a chainsaw mill or a chainsaw to mill the stump. run it thru a planer. then rough cut each hold with the bandsaw. then smooth it out (contour it to the human hand in order to be cool and ergonomic) using 40 grit on the beltsander. This is the high art, and takes lotsa practice. I drilled (bolt/washer holes) with a pair of forstner bits. Drill the washer hole (7/8") first, drill in as much as U need to to get the bolt head hidden. then drill the bolt hole, using the point hole from the other drill bit. A drill press helps immensely. With all the steps you can see why I no longer do this for money. People don't wanna pay 10$ for a medium size one of a kind art hold when they can pay 3$ for some mass produced, plastic, pollutive wal mart crap. (he's not cynical,just a realist).
Good luck, and email me if U need any pointers.

[ This Message was edited by: graniteboy on 2001-12-13 19:25 ]

graniteboy

Dec 13, 2001, 7:27 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and hold spin: just dab a few bits of "household goo" (like shoe goo, but cheaper...)on the back and let it dry.

graniteboy

Dec 14, 2001, 9:00 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

expatbrit: correct. most homemade wood holds suck big time. Conifer wood in general is NOT what you wanna make them out of. I had success with sycamore, walnut, ash, and to some extent alder (alder turned out to be a little too soft and wore out quickly). But Black walnut is THE wood. and if you're not gonna bother to make them ergonomic, why not just nail 2x4s to the wall?? I would suggest, not too humbly, that I am one of the world's only experts on this wood hold question. feel free to write me, and I might even be persuaded to come outta retirement and crank out a batch or 2. But You hafta be willing to Pay, and I don't whore my talents cheaply. These holds are NOT plastic crap.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook