RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

hammockrg

Nov 28, 2001, 2:52 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Anaerobic Threshold
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone had a metabolic cart test done to determine their AT? Is the ventilation test more accurate or are the blood samples? I am having this test done by the ventilation. Im really not familiar with it. I want to know my Max HR.

talons05

Nov 28, 2001, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Anaerobic Threshold [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never heard of this test. Does the aenerobic threshhold have anything to do with how long your muslces can continue to function before going into anerobic respiration? This is pretty interesting. Sorry I can't help you.

AW

addiroids

Nov 28, 2001, 5:10 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about then you are getting your VO2max tested. This is the maximal amount of oxygen you body can use (mL/kg/min) at the greatest workload. It is a really fun test and you work your ass off.

Make sure you don't do legs for like 5 days before and no running for 3 days before. Also, if you are a cyclist rather than a runner, do it on the cycle if they give you the option. These tests are sports specific and you want to see how in shape you are for "your" sport. Of course your sport is climbing, but that is harder to test:).

However, if you are a normal person and don't cycle regularly, don't do it on the bike, because you will experience local muscle fatigue (quads) before reaching your VO2max.

The tester knows when you reach your VO2max when they increase the workload another increment and your VO2 consumption doesn't increase. You know for sure you've reached your VO2max when your VO2 consumption starts to actually DECREASE due to reaching your Tvent (or Ventilatory Threshold) which is ALMOST an approximation of your anaerobic threshold.

But unless you are an Olympic caliber runner, or serious mountaineer (normal rock climbing involves more of your ATP-CP system), this won't have much impact on your life and training. It is nice to get it tested every year or 6 months if you are engaged in an aerobic conditioning program though just to check your progress.

Sorry to sound like a fitness nerd, but I majored in Exercise Science (not PE you punk!) so I have a lot of experience in this field. Also, knowing your HRmax isn't all that important either, but it helps when calculating your Target Heart Range. Ask the tester to get that for you if you want. Mention the "Karvonen method" and he will think you are smart.

I hope that helped.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

aulwes

Nov 28, 2001, 7:02 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those runners and climbers, I have a Max VO2 calculator at : http://www.geocities.com/jcool99/run.html

And clicking on Max VO2 Calculator

It figures your Max VO2 by taking a distance run times your Personal Best time for that distance. (Use a distance of at least a mile).
AULWES!

ttu-xc
Deleted

Nov 28, 2001, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a cool calculator. It gave me a range of 67.9872 for the mile to a 55.886 for a Half-Marathon. Guess I am above average for fellow collegiete runners.

Ryan

[ This Message was edited by: ttu-xc on 2001-11-28 13:34 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook