Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Stone Mountain N.C.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jakeh76

Jan 28, 2003, 6:19 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Stone Mountain N.C.  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Stone_Mountain_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on making a trip to Stone MOuntain in the near future. Any beta would be greatly appreciated. Good routes, do's and don'ts.... Is mostly slab climbing? What is a good site or guide for info on routes? Is there any good face or crack climbs? Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2003-01-28 10:24 ]

Partner polarwid

Jan 28, 2003, 10:24 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Stone Mountain N.C. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Regional Discussions forum by polarwid[/small]

danl

Jan 28, 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone mountain was awsome the great arch is a fantastic climb. Yeah lots of run out slab. also check out looking glass while you are down there.
last I was down there I was a 5.9 climber so i was kind of limited but there was plenty for me to do.

Tri cams were nice to have for eyebrow placements

Partner one900johnnyk

Jan 28, 2003, 10:35 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

did you check this out:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=445

i'm sure at the state park there is a visitor's center there and the falcon guide by horst probably has good info on it (i've been meaning to get that) ... i have been watning to head down there as well, when are you going? you can see from some of the pics in the link above that there are some cracks for gear placements but it looks like it's all slab. just a dome of rock. looks really fun and unique. be careful and good luck

eastsider

Jan 28, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone Mtn is pretty fun if you like slabs...and lots of them. There are two routes that are modreate and need a regular rack. Those are the Great Arch(5.6) and No Alternative(5.7). They are both about 3 pitches or so after you reach the tree ledge at which both start from. The rest of the routes rely on bolts for protection and little or no gear... these are definately not sport routes. Mercury's Lead(5.9) is 2-3 pitches and I believe it has about 3 lead bolts and then belay anchor bolts. Features are also slim, as that aside from the first two routes mentioned, 99% of the routes involve just smearing and almost zero holds...no eyebrows here, there are some at Looking Glass. To me, the climbing is kinda wierd in that respect. There are 2 carolina guides that cover Stone, but Horst has not authored a guide that does. Have fun and be safe.

cheers

Adam

Partner tim

Jan 28, 2003, 4:17 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Horst guide only covers MD/VA/WV, not NC.

you want the Shull/Lambert book "Selected Climbs in North Carolina" from the Mountaineers' Books press, it is better than the Kelley book and more up to date too.

Stone is a lot of fun in the winter. It simply requires more balls than brawn and I guess that weirds a lot of people out. The bolts are new, shiny, and bomber, thanks to the rebolting project; there just aren't that many of them. You could take a 180' whipper on some routes if you blow a clip. But it would be more of a sliding smearing fall.

Anyways, it's close by (relatively) and it's a beach party atmosphere in the winter. Show up early if you intend to climb the Arch as that thing is almost always a zoo.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook