RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

talons05

Nov 29, 2001, 3:21 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Daisy Chains?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For what, and how are Daisy Chains used?

AW

howieehrlich

Nov 29, 2001, 3:32 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Daisy Chains? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They are used for aiding, multi-pitch sport routes and anchors(I prefer to just tie off a sling for an anchor though). To connect, just girth-hitch it to your harness and clip a biner through ONE loop and to the anchor point. Do not clip multiple loops with the same biner since it reduces the strength, and if it breaks, you fall.

atg200

Nov 29, 2001, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi,

do not ever use a daisy chain to connect to an anchor. they are designed for bodyweight only. the sling is full strength, but the loops are not strong enough to hold a significant fall(for instance a bad leader fall directly onto the belay).

daisy chains are great for aid climbing, and nice for organizing gear.

andrew

talons05

Nov 29, 2001, 4:48 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So can they be used at a hanging/semi-hanging belay to attach yourself to an anchor?

AW

elcapbuzz

Nov 29, 2001, 4:58 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I see there are some confusion. Daisy chains are designed for moderate to hard aid. You girth-hitch them to your harness by the same loops you tie into the rope with. Also, you need a fifi hook (a metal hook that has an eye-hole near the bend of the hook). You girth-hitch the fifi the same way as the daisy's. Now, when your climbing sketchy placements and you need to rest, shift weight or drink a beer, you can place the fifi in one of the loops of the daisy. The eye-hole on the fifi is to tie a tassle or pig-tail to. When your ready to move, simply pull on the pig-tail and it is easily removed from the loop. I use a bright color for the pig-tail. Also, there is an adjustable daisy on the market. It's great for roofs, overhangs, or if you don't have a lot of upper body strength. Oh, one other thing. I don't see any problem to cliping both daisy chains to the belay, but you MUST be tied into the lead rope to a bomber equalized system.

talons05

Nov 29, 2001, 5:03 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok. I want to use it on multi pitch TRAD climbs, just as a tool to keep my distance from the wall adjustable. As long as I back it up (tied in with the rope) it should be safe, right?

AW

talons05

Nov 29, 2001, 8:03 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, I am the local climbing shop.

AW

jbur

Nov 29, 2001, 9:06 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always use the rope as your main connection to the anchor. Then you can use the daisy to adjust your hang.

talons05

Nov 29, 2001, 9:14 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

exactly.

Thanks guys

AW

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 29, 2001, 10:19 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Daisy chains make great directionals.

The perfect example is you have a 4 piece anchor equalized with a cordallete, but your cordallete isn't completely snug, and you'd probably get lifted off your feet if a fall occured by your leader. Or this could have an effect of your second taking a hard fall and pulling you off a ledge.

Now, since your cordollete isn't completely snug, you will indeed move. And we all know it can be hard to get a snug cordollete when you have all your pieces close to eachother!

This is when you find the best piece to use as a directional on your anchor, that'll withstand the proper pull.

Example: A nut in a flaring crack probably isn't going to be holding upward force, but a #3 cam in crack that is running pararell with your feet ain't going no where.

So, you have your main tie in point, your rope with a eight with a loop tied into it clipped into your main anchor point.

Now, you have that #3 cam that ain't going no where if your leader pulls you upward, snug yourself onto that thing with the daisy, you should be able to move alittle, but not get lifted up during a fall.

Now, you also want to make sure that you have the daisy running in a way that you aren't going to get flipped, or the chain is behind your leg or anything where it could potentially hurt you, after all it is there to help you!

On a hanging belay these can obviously be used to keep yourself tight on the anchor, but ALWAYS back it up.

These are also nice for a quick clip in on the anchor. It is hard to tie your anchor knot and clip it to the anchor with one hand.

Also, if you must cheat on a climb, you could always use your daisy to aid a move.
{:-P}

Remeber, always back that thing up!

climb512

Nov 29, 2001, 10:29 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the beta on the loop and ends of the daisy chain strengths. in the future i will be more cautious on its use. we use it to tie in to the anchor and come off belay. thanks again for the beta.

talons05

Nov 29, 2001, 10:39 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dustin, that's exactly the info I needed. Thanks.

AW

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$76.46 (10% off)
$7.65 (10% off)
$34.16 (10% off)
$62.55 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook