RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

boneware

Feb 3, 2003, 12:49 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Might be moving to durango
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey i have applied for a job in durango, i find out tomorrow but am interested to know if there is any climbing in the area, i know there is a little or have been told so, but i really know no more than that.
i know i am jumpin the gun but it is an important consideration when taking a job.
if i do move then i will also be looking for partners.
thanks
philip

ambler

Feb 3, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Might be moving to durango [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a fair bit of cragging on sandstone and limestone near Durango. Check chesslerbooks.com for the guidebook by Tim Kuss. You're also within range of Moab and the San Juan Mountains, for larger-scale adventures.

Partner phaedrus

Feb 3, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a BOATLOAD of climbing in Durango, CO. That's where I learned to climb and can't wait to get back there now that I'm living in Colorado again. I've not been there since 1995, and I've heard it's a good bit more developed (insofar as number of people there now) than last time I was there, and I've heard that there are a few new climbing areas, but yeah... lots and lots of climbing, much of it great. Enjoy.

biggernhell

Feb 3, 2003, 1:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are tons of routes and boulder problems, most of which haven't even been developed. And if you like ice the surrounding San juan mtns are great, and Ouray ice park is within reasonable driving distance.

woodse

Feb 3, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there!!!

Where did you apply?

Plenty of climbing in Durango:

Golf Wall- We call it a slice of Rifle, overhanging sport routes on blocky limestone, all top heavy no real moderates here.

East Animas- A variety of trad and sport routes ranging from 5.6 to 5.13 on sandstone.

X-rock- great top-roping crag right in town, routes here are anywhere from 5.2 all the way up to 5.12. The Boxcar boulder is also at this area, it overhangs on two sides and has a variety of problems from hard to super hard.

Turtle Lake-Bouldering and climbing area with routes and problems that would be classics anywhere.

The list goes on and as others have mentioned, Moab is just 2 1/2 hours from here!! Look under the routes database and check out the other areas if you like.

woodsE

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook