Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Self belay device idea. Think it'll work?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rockjock04

Dec 1, 2001, 12:33 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Self belay device idea. Think it'll work?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here my idea for lets say a home gym with nobody around to belay. First make a basic top rope setup with the anchor on top and the belayer(would be) on the bottom. on the half of the rope that runs between the top anchor and the belayer, tie the two ends of the rope together, but after running the rope through a grigri. so so far you have one rope tied together with the knot between the top anchor and the grigri. the grigri should be positioned as to let a climber go up but not fall, like normal. Now, Anchor the gri gri to the ground. take another grigri and attach it to the climbers harness. put it in the direction where it would catch you if it fell. Now, at the bottom grigri, anchor it to the ground. Finally, hook your self up to the grigri not anchored to the ground and climb. as you go up the grigri slides up with you but if you fall it catches you. once you reach the top, trigger the grigri to let you rappel down. Once you get back down, trigger the bottom grigri to let you feed the knot in the rope back to the top anchor, allowing you to do it again. Tell me what you think of my idea and if it would actually work. heres a pic to clarify cause i know you didn't understand that

rockjock04

Dec 1, 2001, 12:39 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Self belay device idea. Think it'll work? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, does anyone know how to add a pic to the forum message after you click the "image" button. something comeup that says "". Thats everything inside the quotes. I think you have to put the file directory in there or something. well just in case it works, ill try it again.

skyscraper

Dec 1, 2001, 12:51 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is actually a belay machine out there! It's true! there's an ad for it in this months (nov) Climbing Magazine. Personally I'd rather depend on a responsible person than a machine that might just have a mechanical problem when I'm about to fall. Anyways, check it out for yourself, it may be worth the money(I can only assume it would cost a fortune)Jeeze! A self belay device.

dovaka

Dec 1, 2001, 1:43 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well it could be some what cheap all it owuld do is have a sensor on it that would measure how much tension is on hte line and when it dropped below a certain point it would tighten up the only down fall to this is when you yell give me a little slack it is just going to sit there and hold onto you and i would like to see exactly how it lets you down im going to have to look threw the magazine to find that ad and do a little reasearch on it

paulc

Dec 1, 2001, 2:16 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

couldn't you just use a soloist or silent partner, or for that matter a clove hitch? I suppose that you are saving a step as you don't have to feed the device.

How high is your home wall? cause if it is less than 15 or 20 feet then this seems kinda like a lot of work for not much of a fall, perhaps thick padding would be cheaper/better. Also you could just put hard stuff at the bottom of the wall and put your endurance fests at the top so that you aren't likely to fall off at the top thus mitigating some of the risk of a higher than you like ground fall.

Hey whatever works for you. Have fun.

Paul

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook