RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

nctxcllimer

May 22, 2001, 12:26 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Best Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is you favorite trad climbing spot and why?

ozclimber

May 23, 2001, 4:03 AM
Post #2 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Best Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

G'day, I have a few favorites but the one i like the most is probably Moonarie in south australia. The place is amazing. It has great lines,both multi and single pitches, stunning veiws, and very few people go there. There are new lines to be climbed at all grades and all are on great quality rock. I also love Arapilies(even with the crowds) and the Grampians.

nctxcllimer

May 29, 2001, 12:39 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To respond to my own question, my favorite is Looking Glass, NC. The routes are multipitch and the views area beutiful with the NC Smoky MTS all conerded in green. The rock is hard granite, so you grear, when placed correctly is bomber. The is a a lot of different kinds of climbs, from the easy pitches on the south face and nose area to the scary pitches on the sun wall and the classic pitches on the North face.

I have also been to Red Rocks, NV. With it outragous amout of multipitch climbing this could become my new favorite even though the veiws are not as nice, but there is a lot less rain.

kolby

Jun 22, 2001, 7:53 AM
Post #4 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allthough I'm a beginner to Trad, my favorite spots are East Animas in Durango, CO (10 min from my home!!) and Ophir Wall near Telluride, CO. In fact, a bunch of us are heading there for the weekend tommarrow. See you all on the rocks!!!

-Kolby Jardine

fiend

Jun 23, 2001, 4:33 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure Squish qualifies for best climbing community right now, apparently it's really bad for theft these days. I'm not sure but I thinks it's internal(theft by climbers)

wandt

Jun 24, 2001, 10:39 AM
Post #6 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish might be the best climbing community if you're there almost daily, or at least weekly. Without a vehicle, I get there rarely, and the climbing community is so strong and close knit that I feel like an outsider. You really don't get "assimilated". Same thing at the gyms in Vancouver; everyone knows everyone ELSE. A very elite club for those with $/car.

climber1

Jun 26, 2001, 5:26 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best crag climbing: Joshua Tree
Best multi-pitch climbing: Yosemite
Best Alpine climbing(lower 48: Eastern Sierra Nevada

kriso9tails

Jul 5, 2001, 10:13 AM
Post #8 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say Bon Echo 'cause it's the only place I've done any trad routes. It's pretty nice. There's a good atmosphere at the ACC hut plus boat rides to and from the climbs as they're all off of the lake. As an additional bonus guidboats come by to hand you the spotlight evey once and a while.

I'm heading down to the Adirondacks tomorrow. I've heard some stories about the climbing there. It should be good fun.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 10, 2001, 8:28 AM
Post #9 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmmmm...

VERY hard to say. I'm blessed with a GREAT job (I inspect Nuclear Power Plants all over the country) that allows me to sample America's best, i.e.: The Gunks, Devil's Tower, Eldorado Canyon,... this list goes on for 10 states. I live in SoCal and only work in the Spring and Fall, so Summers and Winters I have off and climb around Bishop, Yosemite, Tahquitz, and J Tree.

I love it all, however, I don't like long hard approaches. I particularly hated the approach to Castleton Tower in Moab, Ut., 1 1/2 hours thru the desert uphill in the heat.

Like I said I love it all, but my favorite is The Gunks. I've done 2 jobs 45 minutes south of there for a total of 3 months. I love the big blocky roofs there, and the approches are actually along a beautiful cariage trail.

Tuolumne Medows is a close 2nd.

rrrADAM

Partner jhundrup

Jul 10, 2001, 4:17 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite place to date is the Bugaboos in Canada. The approach is tough and the window of opportunity small, but the climbing is unbelievable. The NE Ridge of Bugaboo Spire is one of North America's 50 classic climbs. I have been snowed on there in August and done some Ice climbing there in Oct/Nov. The tough approach keeps the noncommited away and makes you work to enjoy the area. You mainly only get climbers there since the hike in is so arduous.

ramylson

Jul 12, 2001, 5:19 AM
Post #11 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Simple really..

Best trad climbing is anywhere were you can fit gear in, and the rock isn't all choss.

Personally, it happens to be The Needles of S. Dakota, but I definitely climb more at Devil's Lake Wisconsin.. don't have a choice.
The list of trips are long, but it'll happen sooner or later..

"ramylson"

wandt

Jul 12, 2001, 8:41 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing Squamish definately has going for it is the very solid rock. Sounds dumb, but I've had rock break off in my hand in Prince George and on Vancouver Island. Squamish I've used some really really thin flakes and it's never happened to me.

Makes trad climbing much more pleasant.

woza

Jul 28, 2001, 6:22 AM
Post #13 of 13 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles, Arapiles

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook