Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner philbox

Aug 19, 2002, 6:28 AM
Post #1 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Problem with the Aus db
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so here is the problem, I try to edit my profile so that my country is Australia but the edit doesn`t stick and it keeps telling me that I am in the United States, not that there is anything wrong with that if you actually live there.

Why am I bringing this up here, well I`ve noticed that when I go to the routes db for Australia my name is missing when I look for top rated posters, however when I go to the Queensland db, there I am.

I`m not wanting my name up in lights at the front of the Australian db page for any glory or anything but it would be nice to be there so that if people have queries then they can contact someone who at least cares enough to be active.

None of this is in any way a criticism but more of an alert so that a fix of a possible bug could be achieved.

I`ve also noticed that when I click on to the peoples name on the front page of the Australian db and more particularly when I click on to Australia beside their name I am taken to a whole nuther Australian db, one which I suspect was in existence before the Australian states were developed as entities in their own right in the routes db.

Is this all too complicated to work out. I think that my gold access doesn`t go as far as to let me work these fixes through on my own so that is why I have sent up the white flag, help.

Oh man, I just looked through the top rated users in the USA and found me listed as coming from Toowoomba, Queensland, USA. Dudes we`ve gotta fix this.

...Phil...

[ This Message was edited by: philbox on 2002-08-18 23:55 ]

Partner matt

Aug 19, 2002, 3:58 PM
Post #2 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Problem with the Aus db [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil,
It appears that your problem isn't a bug, rather you're just a bit confused. From what I can see (and I may be wrong here), is that you have correctly selected Queensland for "state". Now you need to type in your particular town/city into the "city" box.

You're listed under "queensland" because that's your area of australia (much like I'm listed under Texas for the United States), however you're not listed under "Australia" because you just don't have enough points to be in the "Top 5" for australia. But, if you keep posting all that beta, you'll be there soon!

~Matt

*Edit:To clarify wording.*

[ This Message was edited by: pushtheextreme on 2002-08-19 09:03 ]

Partner philbox

Aug 19, 2002, 9:19 PM
Post #3 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Matt, yup, I checked and yes I have previously definitely checked the city box. I checked the city box, Toowoomba , the state box, Queensland, and the country box Australia. Problem is that even though I check the country box for Australia I have a look back to make sure the edits have stuck and there I am back in the United States Of America.

No, I don`t believe I am confused at all, I simply cannot get the edits to stick and it seems it is a general problem with most people registering for Australia. Evidence, go check out the top rated users list for each state of Australia, they are all registered in the USA. To find this list go to the Routes db and click on Australia, then click on the individual states, you will then see the top rated users for each state, click on those words at the top of the short list and that will bring up every listed user for that state. You will then notice that indeed each and every one is listed as residing in the USA. Very strange.

...Phil...

Partner matt

Aug 19, 2002, 10:43 PM
Post #4 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very odd.

Sorry, don't know what's causing the problem.

I'll have this moved to S&Q.

~Matt

Partner tim

Feb 4, 2003, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Suggestions & Questions forum by tim[/small]

andy_lemon

Feb 5, 2003, 5:20 AM
Post #6 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now stay with me...

I editted my profile to show the problem you discussed, this is long, stay with it here.

I changed my country to Australia and changed state to none. My profile said "Evansville, Australia. While I was still selected as Australia for country, I changed my state to Queensland.. my profile then read "Evansville, Queensland". When I went back to my profile it had Evansville for city, Queensland for state, and United States for country. Now when you select United States for country and None for state, it just shows up as "Evansville,".

So the problem (not really a problem) as I see it is that the DB is reading Australia as a state, therefore you can not be from Queensland and Australia at the same time. Or, that it is reading Queensland as a country as it does Australia.

But to simplify your problem... if you want to be shown as from Australia, just select state as none. If you want to be from Queensland select it as your state. It will have no effect on your profile or stats here if you are not listed as Australia.

Andy

andy_lemon

Feb 5, 2003, 5:24 AM
Post #7 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to the routes DB and checked out Australia... the Top 5 for Australia have "Australia selected as their country with "none" selected as their state. The way I see it, you can't be on both pages.

Andy

andy_lemon

Feb 5, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #8 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look at Joe Morgan from Australia. He has Australia listed as his country and "none" selected for state. But what he did to compromise is list his state in his city box... city, victoria,

Philbox, is this something that should be fixed? From what I learned in geography class, if your from Queensland then you are deffinately from Australia... right? This whole Oceania thing is confusing.

I'll make a suggestion that they change it to Toowoomba, Queensland, AU. Is that correct?

[ This Message was edited by: andy_lemon on 2003-02-04 21:30 ]

Partner philbox

Feb 5, 2003, 5:46 AM
Post #9 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The way I se it is that anyone who is in Australia whether they are in a state or simply just listed as Australia need to not be from the USA. The DB should be reading Australia as a continent and the states as subsidiarys of that continent. Then the Cities can be listed under the states.

If I read the US right you would have the US at the top of an empirical chart under that continent you would have states then cities and then names of persons. Am I right so far. If this is correct then the Aus DB could be set up the same.

The problem here on the ground in Aus is that the place is BIG and people from Queensland do not necessarily have anything to do with someone from Western Australia.

People should not be able register their name under a continent they must be able to only register under the state that is linked to the continent. This way there will be much more comminality of interest for the people of each state.

At the moment it is a real hassle. I do hope we can sort this out for all our sakes here in Oz.

Thanks ever so much for trying to fix this Andy.
...Phil...

andy_lemon

Feb 5, 2003, 5:52 AM
Post #10 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:The DB should be reading Australia as a continent

Ah Ha! So if Australia is the continent (like I've said, like I was taught in school, like you all had me thinking I was retarded) then what exactly is oceania? Because Oceania is recognized as the continent now... there is the problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED, JUST NEEDS FIXED

Partner philbox

Feb 5, 2003, 6:09 AM
Post #11 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oceania is a general region in the South Pacific Ocean. It is loosely made up by the continent of Australia, the islands of New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, all the Coral Sea Islands as a matter of fact the whole Pacific Ocean could well be termed Oceania.

A more correct term for our region should be Australasia which takes in Australia the continent, New Zealand and The island of New Guinea and possibly Indonesia.

So the empirical chart should read for my state,
Oceania (or Australasia).
Australia,
Queensland,
Toowoomba,
Phil Box.

If you could grab a hold of a globe of the earth all would be revealed.

Our area here is fully almost half of the southern hemisphere this should explain some of the almost overwhelming distances involved when considering the geography of our region of the globe. Australias influences reaches from the south pole in the centre of Antarctica all the way up to the equator and from half way across the Indian Ocean to way out in the Pacific Ocean. Quite a mind boggling area eh. Trouble is it is quite a sparsely populated area with great expanses of ocean between small islands and of course not much habitation to speak of in Antarctica. New Guinea has more than twice the number of all the rest of the worlds distinct languages put together from all of recorded history to say nothing of dialects.

...Phil...

zee

Feb 5, 2003, 6:56 AM
Post #12 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dudes just use www.thecrag.com its way better...

andy_lemon

Feb 5, 2003, 7:24 AM
Post #13 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohhh... I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, the crag.com has alot going for it, some stuff better than this site. But this site's routes db is more high tech. Better user interaction, and that my friend, is key.

apollodorus

Feb 5, 2003, 7:29 AM
Post #14 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Zee is a treacherous infiltrator, seeking to split the rc.com majority, and allow an ill-conceived internet coup to disrupt our hard-won way of life.

Hit INGNORE ZEE to best protect that which is best.

socialclimber

Feb 5, 2003, 8:32 AM
Post #15 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andy, saying we come from Oceania is kinda like saying you come from North America.
I see what you are saying about the source of the problem. When the Routes heading was changed from "Australia" to "Oceania" , Oceania was never properly defined. As far as the db is concerned, Oceania has exactly the same definition as Australia had.
I agree totally with Phils point, It's his God given right not to be confused with Western Australians if he dosen't want to be.
But Phil, While your influence might extend from the South Pole to half way across The Indian Ocean, to the East it stop half way across the Ditch

phil_nev

Feb 5, 2003, 8:59 AM
Post #16 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I`m not wanting my name up in lights at the front of the Australian db page for any glory or anything but it would be nice to be there so that if people have queries then they can contact someone who at least cares enough to be active."

Phil, there are people who are active contributors to this site on that aus main page. Alrob, joemor and myself have all contibuted pics, routes and other info to this site. Not to mention the number of tourists joe and i have taken climbing after they asked for help on this site.

If someone asked me for help on the qld area, i would point them straight to you as i know you are familiar with the area... as im sure if osmeone asked you about info on vic you would put them in touch with neil.

Im just saying, most of the aussies on this site who contribute a bulk of the info, know each other, or at least know of each other, in one way or another. So we are able to share info and help anyone out who needs it...

I hope that made some sense... although probably not.
hehe that sounds weird...

crux_clipper

Feb 5, 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #17 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Theres a screw up with the database that if you put down "victoria", it puts you under victoria canada. Neil has the most points out of all of us, yet isn't on Australias top 5, cos hes candanian...supposedly

Phil (box) i've actually sent someone to you when they were looking for info on Queensland. If u just put your origin as "Australia" only, then you'll be right

Partner philbox

Feb 5, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #18 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So guys here in Aus how would you like to see the dbase set up so that it reflects what we want. I do apreciate you guys sending me contacts and I too have taken tourists out to the crags and shown them a good time climbing. It certainly is a great way to show people around.

One of my worries about the way things are set up currently is that is quite confusing and websites and other info is somewhat lost under the current system of arranging things. Websites such as Rock Magazine have simply disappeared and can`t be resurrected.

I`d like to have the various local forums such as Qurank and Chockstone located under their respective states.

...Phil...

Partner tim

Feb 5, 2003, 9:00 PM
Post #19 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on... will put this on the to-do list and if you guys can point me in the proper direction (eg. how to set things up in a way that reflects how things actually are Down Under) I will implement it.

Neil Monteith pointed out that 'New Zealand Is Not Australia' and that's what got the whole Oceania thing going... if Australasia is the correct term I will change it immediately.

As you probably know the routes DB is about to undergo a pretty severe upheaval; this is one of many things we need to fix.

andy_lemon

Feb 5, 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #20 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, so we know what Oceania is... but I'm still trying to understand why everyone wants to use it. There are only 7 continents. That should be the simple search criteria. New Zealand might not be part of Australia but it is apart of a continent, right? Asia maybe. Put it under Asia.

Partner philbox

Feb 5, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #21 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, no, no, don`t put it under Asia. This would be immensely confusing. Australasia would probably be better than that by a long shot. Asia is of course Russia, China etc. South East Asia is IndoChina, Indonesia, Phillipines. Australasia is Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea and associated islands.

I think that in my mind Australasia is firming up as much more identifiable to those outside this area in lieu of Oceania. Oceania may mean something to us in this area but Australasia would be the thing that trips peoples brains into gear.

I`m still thinking that people should not be able to register their name under a continent however if a search was performed for a name under say Australia another question would pop up asking for the state that a person is registered under.

...Phil...

crux_clipper

Feb 6, 2003, 7:24 AM
Post #22 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One main thing is to make a definition in the db between Victoria Canada, and Victoria Australia. Tim, are you able to take states and countries out? If so, take all tha Australian states out of the coutry list, leaving just australia.

Also, how exactly do i change the position of photos in the db without re submitting? theres 3 sissy crags in the NSW db, and i've got my pics in the wrong one.

howitzer

Feb 6, 2003, 2:15 PM
Post #23 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andy, I sent you a PM about this (glad to be thought of as a geographical expert ) so I hope my info. helps - technically it's Australia and Oceania. While New Zealand is not part of Australian continent (and wouldn't like to be considered so!!!), it's also not part of Asia... so just using Australia leaves out a series of Islands and land masses where people could be from.

zee

Feb 6, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #24 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oceania should include Puapa New Guinea, the Indonesian Archapelio and any other island nations not attached to mainland Asia, within the general area of Australia. I think it was originally dreamed up back inthe early 1900s when Australia still thought it might take a stab at taking over some of the rest of Asia, then it was Australasia, as the tides turned agaisnt us and Asia became Industrialised, the term Oceania became used when people realised that eventually Australia would become an Asian/European/Pacific Islander/Moari/Koorie kind of place...at least thats what it seems to me...and I agree Victorians kick a$$ and should not be confused with West Australians!!! Although many of my former Vic friends have defected to the light side!

andy_lemon

Feb 6, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #25 of 29 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:As far as Continents go, yes there are 7, and the correct 7th is indeed Australia in the historical sence of things. However, as far as I understand geographers today refer to it as Australia and Oceania and this includes Australia
Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. Otherwise using the continent of Australia covers just the mainland and leaves out all the islands and land surrounding the main continent, listed above. And believe me someone from New Zealand isn't going to want to choose Australia as their continent! Nor would they want to choose Asia....
Australasia, while a good idea, would conflict with the already existing Asia continent, which includes islands like singapore and indonesia. So my personal vote is to make it Australia/Oceania... I hope this helps!!!

That's good enough for me to change my vote. Thanks Abi!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook