RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rockjock04

Dec 3, 2001, 1:58 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

lead gym climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

there are no rocks around so me and my friends result in gym climbing. I want to lead climb very badly, but to do it in a gym you have to pass a test, and lessons is like 40 bucks each/hour. If i have to take own equipment (tell me if im right) I will need my own rope, carabiners, and belay devices right? the quickdraws are already set. I also would like to get the basic idea on how to lead climb. Do you know any forums or good websites I could go to? Please help. I've got the bug bad and I cant to anything about it cept release it when I climb. basically what I want to know is how to switch from climb to belay (including knots) and from belay to climb(including knots) thank you.

aulwes

Dec 3, 2001, 2:11 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

lead gym climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot of things depend on the gym that you climb at... some gyms provide a rope some don't, some have quick draws on the wall some don't, you should talk with the people at your gym, I would recommend taking the class or learning from someone with alot of experience.(reading about climbing is the same as being taught how to climb) $40 seems a bit high.

[ This Message was edited by: aulwes on 2001-12-02 18:17 ]

fusion

Dec 3, 2001, 2:20 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your going to be leading an a specific gym, the best thing you could do is to go there and ask them exactly what you need to be able to start leading.

thumper

Dec 3, 2001, 8:06 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need at least 1 lesson. Sorry. The gym I use on the off season requires you to cleanly lead a 5.9 route to get your lead card, and you can choose the 5.9 you want to run. Every gym I've been to requires that you use their ropes and anchors to climb so that they can control the quality of the equipment you are using on ther property. You usually bring your own personal equipment, or you can rent from the gyms.

But as I said, you need a lesson. You need someone to teach you how to manage the rope and how to clip. If you back clip or z clip and fall you can be badly hurt or killed. And even tho' there are centuies worth of info and experience on this board, you need someone to show you how to do it correctly, and observe you to make sure you do. So take a class, take a couple lessons. You'll improve and have years of fun on the rocks.

ecchastang

Dec 3, 2001, 2:28 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my gym, you have to be a consistent 5.10 climber to lead.

graniteboy

Dec 5, 2001, 12:21 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BuddEEE: you need to hang out with some real climbers. Paying someone 40$ an hour is ridiculous, and most of the people I see teaching in gyms don't know their nuts from a
garda knot. If you HAVE to pay a fat fee to someone, go climbing w/croft in Tuolumne or Bridwell in Josh. Or, If U make it out to Calif next spring, let me know. I'll show you how to stay alive. In the meantime, read everything U can. And beware the frumious backclip.

jds100

Dec 5, 2001, 3:42 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You shouldn't need carabiners; the quickdraws are usually already placed, so you'll just be clipping the rope in as you go. You might be able to rent a rope, but as soon as you can, get a rope of your own; that way you'll be sure of its care and history, instead of having to trust that the gym's lead rope is safe. You should just need a harness, chalk and bag, shoes, and belay device, and the rope.

What, specifically, are they giving you for your $40? What are they promising to teach you, and are you automatically qualified for leading in their gym after "passing" their $40 class?

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2001-12-04 19:44 ]

coach

Dec 5, 2001, 4:08 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first thing I would do is spend the $40 on some good reading material. Start with the Falcon Guide series; "How to Rock Climb", "Climbing Anchors" and "Self Rescue" would be a good start and shouldn't cost more than the lessons. You can order them on line from Barnes and Noble. After that find someone with experience and have them show you the ropes (no pun intended). Have fun.

Climb On

bigevilgrape

Dec 12, 2001, 1:57 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had been climbing for a long time before i started leading, i had a lot of instruction from more experienced climbers and from boooks. this way i knew exactly what i was doing when i took the test.

kahuna3602

Dec 12, 2001, 2:28 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're playing in a gym try to be able to climb 5.10 easily or else it's too hard to hang in there and clip. Practice bouldering up to the first draw and clip in. Try and get someone who really knows what they're doing to show you, watch people lead climb, you'll tell real fast who knows what they're doing. And in my humble opinion lead belaying is harder than climbing. Make damn sure you know what you're doing when belaying on lead. You can seriously hurt or kill both of you. I think most gyms will test you and charge some kind of fee for the priviledge. $40 for the test is extreme, but if you get a class then, well it still seems a little high. I got a class and 3 tests (i'm a slow learner) for $25.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook