RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

timhinck

Dec 2, 2001, 8:50 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1281 views)
Shortcut

The Trouble With Bouldering?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

During a conversation with a 50-something friend of mine, the topic of ethics and attitudes came up. My friend started climbing in the 60's and has noticed a drastic shift in the attitudes of climbers today.

The thing he noticed the most was that it seemed to him that boulderers and other modern climbers have lost something of the spirit of climbing that he and his friends experienced in their time. He said that many people describe a problem simply by its grade. He told stories of how, in his youth he and his friends would climb a route simply to see the view from a particular place or find a bird's nest, or just because they wanted to pull down on an amazing set of holds. He seemed to think that we have forgotten how to truly "enjoy" climbing, sometimes.

What do you guys think about this? Could we benefit from slightly changing our attitudes and goals in climbing? Is it possible to talk about a problem/route without giving its grade and still do it justice?

food for thought,

peace out,

tim

pushfurther

Dec 3, 2001, 12:14 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1281 views)
Shortcut

The Trouble With Bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to say that boulderers only climb for grades is untrue. i'm strictly a boulderer, and i couldn't tell you any of the grades i've climbed. i couldn't tell you the name of any problem i've done. i really could care less. i'm out to have a good time without worrying about the grade of the problems.

addiroids

Dec 3, 2001, 12:38 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The trouble with bouldering is that it's too damn hard. The few times I have bouldered, I get on some problems like 4 or 5 times and finally pull them off, then learn that they are only 5.10 or something. Not even on the damn "V" scale. So now I don't boulder for the ratings. Actually I don't boulder much at all. That's probably why 10 year old girls were beating me at the PBC.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

saltspringer

Dec 3, 2001, 1:56 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to really sneer at bouldering and look down upon it as a lesser form of climbing until I tried a few "real" problems...now I view bouldering more as the essence of climbing, an activity that is pure movement without the feters of a rope, harness or other cumbersome gear. Alot of climbers climb for the numbers and alot climb for the pure joy of it & I think the same holds true for boulderers: they climb for the enjoyment of pushing their limits and the satisfaction that comes with solving a problem.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook