Forums: Climbing Partners: Canada:
Who has looked for boulders in Ontario? and Where?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

phitty

Feb 11, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Who has looked for boulders in Ontario? and Where?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, so you're driving and looking in the forest. Anyone see any places that look promising for bouldering?

A few spots that I keep meaning to check out are:
Just north of Bon Echo on Hwy 41, there is a swampy spot on the roadside and some pretty cool rock fall and cliffs. You may need a boat or a quick swim to get there though. Private land.

There is a spot near Flinton that has a granite rockfall with a couple of cool boulders but TERRIBLE landings so its pretty much no go. Private Land.

Hwy 7 west of Kaladar, the south side of the hwy for about 5 minutes is FILLED with small cliffs and boulder. The cliff bands are maybe 10 -15 feet high but there are hundreds of them. Anybody ever stop? I THINK THIS HAS ALOT OF POTENTIAL.

Mattawa, just a couple minutes out of town towards North Bay, there are a ton of slightly small boulders that are visible from the road. If there are small ones the odds are good there may be a large one or two in there somewhere.

If anybody has any other spots to check out post em, and maybe when the weather gets good go take 5 minutes and look. You never know what you'll find.

downshift

Feb 12, 2003, 3:51 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Who has looked for boulders in Ontario? and Where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gosh I had those thoughts. Anywhere on 69 North of Parry Sound there seems to be a lot.

lemurboy

Mar 5, 2003, 6:53 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive bouldered briefly up near Bon Echo. it was pretty good.

there are a bunch of good areas on the Bruce: cape croker, halfway log dump. and probably a number more.

I found a couple of boulders at the base of Kelso Cliff in milton, but the landings were fatal.

bishop

Mar 5, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Gosh I had those thoughts. Anywhere on 69 North of Parry Sound there seems to be a lot.

I agree with downshift. There are a couple of place just north of Parry Sound. Just of the highway a little. As well as down 559 which is about 5 minutes past Parry Sound. If you have a boat to use you can also check out Boulder Bay which can be found right in the Sound. Its around the corner from Hole in the Wall. There is some routes as well as splash outs.

Shhhh.... I have a friend who is writing a guide book for the Parry Sound + area. Should be out when the season hits peak. The current hold up is due to some closures of certain areas that fall on private land. They are a must for the book... so that's why it hasn't gone to print yet. Please.. if there is any question as to if the land is private... please ask... we would hate have futher closers. I know you'll do the right thing.

If you're going to be in the area of Parry Sound.. give me a PM. I'll join you and show you a few of the hidden places.

vram1974

Mar 5, 2003, 7:38 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been up near Parry Sound since I was a kid, and before rock climbing actually meant something to me, but as I recall there is some outstanding boulders and potential bouldering up there. But if you're going that far, you may as well make the full drive to Half Way Dump

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Area.php?AreaID=1225

downshift

Mar 6, 2003, 3:02 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To add to what Bishop said. I have done a fair bit of decent boulding on fishing trips and canoe trips anywhere north of Parry Sound. Northern Ontario is an untapped resource for climbing in any form.

ecocliffchick

Mar 6, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lemurboy,

Be careful about bouldering within National Parks. Bruce Peninsula National Park has already ticketed boulderers for removing vegetation. Remeber that removing any vegetation (whether as a plant or bonsai collector) or by brushing off mosses and lichens as a climber is viewed the same by the natural area managers and is illegal in National Parks.

getsomeethics

Mar 13, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

boulders east of tunder bay, by [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drive along highway 17 east of thunder bay. not too long past the turn for sleeping giant you'll hit the wee town of Pearl. keep going, within in 2km or so you'll see a rest stop on yer left. 300-400m past this, take the very next left onto a dirt road. follow this to the end staying on the main road, there are a few others splitting off. the end is in an old quarry, and the road will most likely be overgrown with alders. park where you can and walk the road into the quarry (2 minutes). head up over the lip of the quarry and head towards the sound of the hghway again. before you get to the highway, you will find some large boulders and a deep trench 20 feet high (5 minutes). explore a bit and you may find the ones that friends and i scrubbed in '99. you may need to scrub them again. that is all i know.

the link below is a pic of one of the problems:

www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=11919

cheers

lemurboy

Mar 17, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up Catherine.... The stuff I have done was just minor goofing around, no brushing and I hardly used any chalk.

As for Halfway log dump....Is it still open to climb????

ecocliffchick

Mar 17, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because there were (4?) bolted lines put up at Halfway Dump, climbing is allowed there in the park. But if you are going there to boulder, stick to the unvegetated bouders out by the water, rather than those covered by trees and plants in the forest. You can't get ticketed for climbing, but if you are tempted to do some cleaning, hold back - because this is what you can get ticketed for.

lemurboy

Mar 17, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok cool, the beach is the coolest part anyway!

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook