RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

yeti

Feb 12, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Sandbagging photos on this site
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was dissapointed to see that one of my pictures had been severely downgraded by one of my fellow users. I had just posted a new picture on the site, and had rated it a 9, a deliberate move from me to get people to react and possibly comment. That picture was promptly downrated, which isperfectly fine. But then, someone had also decided to target my highest-rating photo (then at 8.13) and proceded to give it a 5. I felt that to be kinda nasty, and must say it does discourage me to put more photos on the site. I'm definitely not a top photographer, but adding pictures is the part I like most about RC.com.

Kinda baffled,

yt

wildtrail

Feb 12, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Sandbagging photos on this site [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is easy to fix.

#1 Who cares? Why should you? It's your picture and you like it so it shouldn't matter. Perhaps someone actually thought it wasn't very good. Picture ratings don't mean anything here. It's not a place where you go to publish photographs, it's certainly no magazine, so why does it matter. If someone is trully spiting you, ignore it. Just as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

#2 Don't allow ratings.

Either one of these, or both, will fix the problem.

atg200

Feb 12, 2003, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it happens to all of us, don't worry about it. there are just a lot of small pathetic people out there who downgrade photos purely because it isn't the type of climbing they like.

for what its worth, i think most of your pictures are quite good and of interesting places, though not in the same category as the climbnow1/orangeoverhang caliber photos that are above an 8 right now. the moai especially looks cool, and i'll have to hit it on my next trip to oz.

atg200

Feb 12, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wildtrail - some of us who submit lots of pics do appreciate the ratings. you don't submit photos anyway, so why do you care if they are rated or not? i like the ratings so i can see what are in most cases the most worthwhile pictures easily.

elvislegs

Feb 12, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want comments or even votes, solicite them. When jmlangford was here I would link my photos to him in a PM and some others on the site whom I respected their opinions. I wasn't looking for votes, rather verbal opinions and suggestions on better shots, but I got them from people by sending a PM.

The simple truth is that if your photo is a 5 it will end up around five if many people vote. The ratings average out, and one person isn't going to drop a good photo far enough to effect it permanantly, so take better shots and they will be rated higher. But like Steve said, if you are proud of it then why worry?

Partner tim

Feb 12, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eh, I watched a photo that was consistenly on the front page (and had pretty much all 9's and 10's and 8's) get slammed with a '1' vote.

People have various agendas. Some want to move their photos onto the front page (this never works, unless their photo was really good to begin with), some just don't like your picture. That's their prerogative and nobody has any inherent 'right' to a high score... you submit a photo here, and you take your chances.

If you think it's bad nowadays, you should have seen it a year ago. There was no restriction upon who could vote, nor any substantial controls upon fake accounts, so people would create fake usernames to bomb or pump up their photos and their friends' photos. About 6 months ago, Adam proposed (and Trevor implemented) a system whereby you had to submit a photo, and be a member for a week, before you could pass judgement on other peoples' photos. Considering the nontrivial effort to put photos up on the site, this seems fair. It really is much, much better now, although there are people who by dint of popularity, get an unfair advantage. But overall, I don't often see bad photos on the front page, or if I do, they don't last long. That's a good sign.

What I have thought about recently, was requiring a simple second menu with canned comments ("aesthetic", "mundane", "colorful", "dull", "original", "cliched", "friend of mine", "mine are better") that would provide some guidance as to what people are thinking when they cast votes. Not many people want to enter in a big critique when they pass judgement, but for people that are just casually bombing or boosting, it would serve as a way to cull meaningless "agenda votes" and give submitters some idea of what is good and bad (in the eyes of the members) about their pictures.

It would be fast and easy to use (a requirement for not getting in the way of the process) but would also provide some insight into what people were thinking. Maybe a radio button that forced a selection, something like that which didn't bias the submitter, but also required a split-second of extra thought ("you can't rate a photo a '10' and select 'Dull' for your comment!").

Thoughts? There's lots of other things that need fixing too, but this is an easy feature.

Partner tim

Feb 12, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Climbing Photography forum by tim[/small]

elvislegs

Feb 12, 2003, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Tim your ideas are great. You are a huge asset to this site man. Thanks.

...did I just say HUGE ASSet?

I mean you do alot of good stuff, I've never seen your Asset.

yeti

Feb 12, 2003, 5:06 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys,

I am a new user, and I've been having tons of fun with this site. I also thinks it works quite well. This was the first topic I've ever submitted, and I'm happy to see the quick replies. The photo thing is really not a big deal to me, and I certainly do accept the rules of the game. I'm happy you gave me your thoughts, and did not realize this had been such a hot topic in the past.

orangekyak

Feb 12, 2003, 5:11 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on, tim

Partner polarwid

Feb 12, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=13852&forum=45&16

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=10858&forum=45&39

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=9081&forum=45&10

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=5367&forum=45&33

These are just a few of the threads concerning downrating of PHOTOS. I sometimes look at my own gallery and wonder why some of my pics are higher than other ones, no general complaints, but some of my 8s should be lower and some of my 7s should be higher. Just comes with the territory. Usually complaining about it only makes it worse...right JODY?

wildtrail

Feb 12, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Andy, I have submitted a few pictures and the ratings are still asinine as far as I'm concerned. You'll never get a true rating here because if someone doesn't like you, he/she will inevitably give you a "0" for no reason. Even if the picture is very good. There is no point to it. You assume too much, Andy. I never said to not allow them. I said if it bugs a person, don't allow the voting. There still is a comment section below and you can ask people what they think of the picture.

wildtrail

Feb 12, 2003, 5:28 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and what Sean said. I have several friends that solicite to me as well. They ask what I think and I give them an honest rating or comment.

dirko

Feb 12, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thing that you will have to get used to if you submit often on this site is people dissing and/or bombing your stuff because it is bolted, or they don't like the placement of the bolts in your pic. This has happened to me several times.

You just have to take the good with the bad. Some people will always be elitist snobs. I feel lucky just to get to post my pics on the internet where other climbers can see them. Ratings can be an ego boost or a reality check, whatever.

Just like you should only climb for yourself, you should only shoot for yourself as well.

yeti

Feb 12, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WHAT? SHOOT MYSELF!? Oh my god, this is getting worse than I though

And about the bolt thing, I'm not too worried about that happening to me anytime soon.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook