Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beta on Cave Lake
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

etrier

Feb 15, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Beta on Cave Lake  (North_America: Canada: Quebec: Laurentians: Montagne_D_Argent: M___M)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where can one get any route info on Cave Lake ouside of Ely. The place is probably quality? Topos?

extremist4life

Nov 29, 2003, 5:20 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Cave Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have yet to climb there, but I plan on it the next time I'm down there! A few years ago I saw a few topos for Cave Lake, but I've misplaced them moving. Your best bet is to go to the Sporting Goods store in Ely. It's on the main street downtown, not to hard to find. (Yes, it's bolted, I do know that!)

countryboy

Mar 12, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Cave Lake area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a Rock & Ice mini guide a couple of years ago that had topos for the Rose Cave (east of Ely on the way back towards Great Basin Park and Ibex) and Table Rock (the big limestone Mesa visible as you drive in to Cave Lake area). Some SLC friends and I bolted routes up the forest service road past Cave Lake State Park about 5 years ago in three different canyons that start about 2 miles up the gravel road on the east side. The first canyon is pretty obvious, the other two less so. A Provo climber has gone up almost every year since and focused on the 2nd canyon. There are about 20 routes and 10 projects in canyon 1, an estimated 20 routes in canyon 2, and a handful in canyon 3. We have never published anything due to the large number of projects and the fact that we could never get any of our SLC area friends interested. All in all, there is a lot more choss than quality stone, but there are some pretty stunning lines. It is a good area for those who like to explore. I could give pretty detailed info on the first canyon, but don't know much about the others.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook