RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

clmerma

Dec 4, 2001, 3:44 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Climbing w/ Beginners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do you ever climb with people who do not know how to climb as good as you. if so then how do you act when they are out at the crag embarssed to be climbing with you. Or are you the other and how would you like to be treated when this feeling comes over you?

Edit: Made post name more relevant to content. - Mick

[ This Message was edited by: rck_climber on 2001-12-04 08:30 ]

ratstar

Dec 4, 2001, 4:03 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Climbing w/ Beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been on both sides of this. I try to help the person when they arent as good as me. But if they are better I ask them for advice and I would expect them to help me cause I help others whenever I can.

rck_climber

Dec 4, 2001, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent question...

I'm typically on both sides of the equation alot. I love to take new people to get them interested in the sport and share my love for it. In these situations I'm careful to explain everything that we're doing and why and stress to them that it takes time and practice to get good, don't worry about sending every route on the first day. You win some, you lose some. Don't get frustrated about it, just try your hardest and be happy w/ that - it's not a contest at the crag. This constant reassuring usually makes them feel comfortable enough to give it their all and be happy with how well they do.

When I'm on the lower end, I just try to soak up the beta and moves to expand my knowledge and end up climbing better. I find that I work best when someone treats me just like I treat my newer climbers, that helps me to feel comfortable and I end up climbing better.

Mick

awkward

Dec 4, 2001, 5:05 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been outside with a beginner, but in the gym you just have to cheer them on and be positive. I guarantee it wouldn't help to say "oh gawd... I can't believe you couldn't 'scend that".

-Bryan

cormac

Dec 4, 2001, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have taken many people out for their first experiences on rock. On the first outing, I resign myself to being 100% teacher/guide: finding good routes to start on, setting up protection, going over the basics and especially commands. I try to find stuff that is easy enough for them to gain some confidence on. I usually go over some real basic information - mostly about footwork and the shoes. And then mostly let them just try it out for themselves.

After the first couple outings, I can then do more climbing "with" them - more challenging routes, more 50/50 on climbing vs. belaying (spotting). They usually acknowledge that I may not be challenged on the climbs I pick out for them, and are patient with me as I work on my projects.

My experience has been that, had I not known somebody to introduce me to the sport (and continue to take me out to climb), I would not have gotten into it. I feel this is still true: the potential danger is going to dissuade people from just taking it up on their own. So I do whatever I can to "return the favor" of those friends that introduced me to my favorite sport.

Partner camhead

Dec 4, 2001, 10:38 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually find that I climb much better when in a group where I am on the bottom end of the skill scale. It just makes me try harder.
Plus, for some reason the motivation is not there when you are on an 11 and your belayer is yelling "come on, you can do it!" when a half hour before he couldn't finish a 9.

A weird observation, I know, but that's the truth.

Partner jules

Dec 5, 2001, 2:54 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i havent been climbing very long, but everytime i've gone, i've gone with these two girls who are both way better than me. in some ways, it's good to have someone who is better around, cuz they can help you out and stuff, but also, if they can't climb something i tend to give up before i start climbing. i think, if they can't do it, there's no way i can. but ive been on the other end too... when my friends can't climb something or aren't seeing holds that seem so obvious to me... and i get really ticked and want to yell at them. but that's just me.

squeeks

Dec 5, 2001, 5:58 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good topic! i think the best thing to do for the less experienced person is to ask as many questions as possible. its not something to get frustrated with. i think its a great opportunity to be able to climb with better and more experienced climbers. thats the best way to learn. ask questions and just pay attention to detail. there is no end to learning. especially as far as safety goes. you can never be too careful.

suprepopps

Dec 10, 2001, 6:09 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually limb on both sides of the question. My best friend that I climb with probably has a higher skill level than I do but he also has a problem with fear that I don't, so I am more prone to try for the harder holds. I do like to climb with stronger climbers though, so I can use their advice to become a stronger climber myself.

reno

Dec 10, 2001, 6:30 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'm fortunate. My partner/teacher has a few years experience as a climber (about 15 or 16 years,) and has the patience of Job. He's willing to kick back and wait patiently while I (slowly) make my way up, and always willing to offer suggestions, but never until I ask for it (i.e. "OK, now what the hell do I do, AJ?")

He's told me I'm coming along quickly, and despite my limited experience, we're not too far apart on skill level/climb ratings. The biggest difference is his comprehensive knowledge of ropes, anchors, systems, etc., while I'm still learning all the details.

Oh, and he's got WAY more gear than I do.

JRB

andy_lemon

Dec 10, 2001, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If no one ever climbed with beginners, how would we learn? It must be done, whether for the sake of others or out of the kindness of your heart

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook