Premier Sponsor:

beerandblood
Deleted

Dec 11, 2001, 5:17 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Loose shoulder joints?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

reno

Dec 11, 2001, 8:37 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Loose shoulder joints? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll offer a little insight, but be warned: this might get long and boring. I'll try my best to keep your attention, though.

Joints of the body can be broken into two groups: those that move, and those that don't. We don't need to worry much about those that don't move, but we do need to know about those that do. Now, for a mobile joint, there is an inverse relationship between mobility and stability. Joints with a greater range of motion (a.k.a. ROM) have less stability.

The shoulder joint is quite possibly the most mobile of all joints, as it covers a large range in three dimensions (front/back, side/side, up/down.) Because of this, it is notoriously unstable. Most of the stability comes from a sheath of ligaments and four major muscles (known as the rotator cuff: supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres major, and subscapularis.) Weakness in the ligament will cause the instability feeling you mention. Weakness or unbalanced strength in any of the muscles can also cause that feeling.

As always, there is good news and bad news. The good news is that you can strengthen the muscles, and therefore promote stability. The bad news is that you can't do a damn thing about the ligaments except surgery (should not be the first option, by any means.) Strength training programs will help quite a bit. So will rest when indicated (there are times to push thru the pain, and times to say "OK, that's enough,") and the appropriate use of Ice and Advil.

So... Sounds like you have a weak shoulder girdle (girdle: fancy medical term for muscles and ligaments of the shoulder,) and need to hit the weight room. Find a good personal trainer or weight lifting instructor, and have him/her set you up with a program that focuses on the shoulder/chest/triceps/back.

That help any? Still awake?

Best,

Jeff

P.S. I've a background in sports physical therapy and emergency medicine, so I didn't just make all this stuff up.

PPS: Edit was for a misspelled....er, mispelled...er, misspelld....typo.

[ This Message was edited by: reno on 2001-12-11 00:39 ]

kagunkie

Dec 13, 2001, 7:53 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Loose shoulder joints? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'v had the problem for years (since a dislocation) and when a flair-up comes I'm completely disabled for weeks at a time sometimes. It's horribly painefull. Just work to strengthen it as stated above andrest when necessary. Also not climbing big roofs might be a good idea for a while.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook