RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

rocknpowda

Feb 27, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #1 of 17 (8521 views)
Shortcut

High School Climbing teams or clubs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many of you high schoolers out there these days have a climbing team or club at your school? How many people participate. :P

Partner phaedrus

Feb 27, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #2 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

High School Climbing teams or clubs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a high school teacher, does that count? :D

I also coach the team here at work/school. We have 30 active members, we have about 25 or so compete; the rest choose to climb, but not compete, which is an option for the students.

dirko

Feb 27, 2003, 5:46 PM
Post #3 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is an active high school league in East Tennessee. Or at least when I lived there 3 years ago there were. Maybe a dozen or so schools have men's and women's teams. They compete indoor in Knoxville. Ha, I lettered in climbing!

stellalpina

Feb 27, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we climb, but not competitively (sp?)
its not really a team, more of an outdoors club, but i organize trips and clinics for people at my school. we do climb indoors every other week. right now i think we have about 60 kids on our emailing list (thats how we communicate), but we get new people everytime we do a trip. weve also been trying to find money to have our own wall built, but its not looking too good right now!
its really hard to find people at my school who have the time and can/are willing to make a committment to climbing, were WAY too over-stressed. i dont think people in my community are as into those kinds of sport like i am anyway, so theres that too. and all the liability bs gets in the way. im only the student prez, but if someone gets hurt, i can get in a load of sh*t! its really hard to keep it going (especialy bc we dont get any school funding and this stuff is so expensive!) but were trying our best to spead the joy of climbing!
-- elena

rocknpowda

Feb 28, 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #5 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone else? I am surprised that some of the more organized programs are in places that don't seem to have a ton of rock.

carabiner86

Mar 2, 2003, 7:05 PM
Post #6 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I haven't posted on here since the re-vamping of rockclimbing.com so hopefully I don't screw it up...

I am on a climbing team and yes we compete in East Tennessee. It's fairly relaxed (at least for the girls, the guys are pretty competitive sometimes). It's a great deal of fun- there's maybe 10 or so teams we compete against across the state. I'm pretty sure we are the only ones outside of Knoxville (we live in the rock mecca of Chattanooga).

We go on climbing trips, day and we have one overnight, have practices, but it's all for fun. We work hard and want to do well, but we don't stress over it. I suggest other high schools start teams- it's a fun way to meet new people who have similar interest as you, and to develop your rock craft!

rockindude

Mar 2, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my high school in colorado has a class and a club that takes place on our indoor wall it is just kind of for fun there are some people who are in it that compete outside of the club

spoon

Mar 2, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #8 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My school is strongly considering putting in a wall...THE YEAR AFTER I GRADUATE! :evil: Oh well, at least others can appreciate the joy of climbing. I think there is a club at my school, but there are only like 4 kids in it and none of them are very serious about climbing. Seems like a shame.

Partner phaedrus

Mar 13, 2003, 8:57 PM
Post #9 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So... check this out.

Met with the vice-principal/athletics director today about the team and our trying to put in a climbing wall here at school- no go because the insurance company won't insure us for it. BUT... as of this writing, we've been functioning as a "club," outside the domain of the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA), the governing body of high school athletics here in the state. The A.D., because he can't play favorites or help me find loopholes, hinted at what a difference CHSAA membership would make.

Basically, it comes down to this: if we can get climbing recognized as a CHSAA sport, we automatically fall under the school's insurance and can have our wall because instead of recreational, the climbing wall becomes an athletic training device, and we get our wall, no questions asked. :D And as a nice plus, it also enables the kids on the team to letter in climbing. It also opens up nice funding possibilities for us.

The A.D. placed a call to CHSAA this morning to find out what we need to do to get CHSAA sanctioned. This could end up being a very good thing. :D

merlin

Mar 19, 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #10 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does anyone have any suggestions about getting my school, in australia, to maybe sanction climbing as a competitive sport? i have this idea of getting some of the other schools in my area to each enter teams. as all the private schools in our area have compulsory saturday sport and we all compete against one another. do u think it would be possible to maybe convince the gym to open a couple of hours earlier for a comp? even fortnightly or something. as there is a gym that doesnt open till 12 or something, so if we went at nine, we could be done by the usual opening time. the problem is convincing other schools to sign up for the team. so any suggestions can u PM me or email me at I@beer.com. Thanx lots

climbingcanuck

Mar 19, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #11 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well im a high schooler and no we have no climbing team. I swear I must be the only climber in a 1400 person school. There wouldn't be enough interest to start one and my school wouldnt have the money. I'd love if one started up but we'd have to sign a million forms just to get out to the gym. Damn public school :evil:

Partner phaedrus

Mar 19, 2003, 2:40 AM
Post #12 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well im a high schooler and no we have no climbing team. I swear I must be the only climber in a 1400 person school. There wouldn't be enough interest to start one and my school wouldnt have the money. I'd love if one started up but we'd have to sign a million forms just to get out to the gym. Damn public school :evil:

You know, when I started the team at my school (I am an English teacher at a public high school), I didn't think I'd have that much interest. One kid in my class mentioned that he wanted to try it someday, and that was what got the ball rolling. We currently have 30+ members with a waiting list of 6-8 kids who want to join.

As far as money, I put together a proposal and simply asked for donations from climbing gear companies- you'd be surprised how many of them are willing and eager to help school programs. As a matter of fact, more than one Canadian based company said that they'd love to help me out, but they restricted their efforts to Canadian projects/schools.

As to going to the gym: all I needed was a field trip permission form, and then the kids' parents had to sign the gym waivers; that was it.

PM me if you'd like to carry this further... I'll be happy to help you out! :)

xanx

Mar 19, 2003, 2:43 AM
Post #13 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we have a climbing "club" which consists of me, one or two other occasional, casual members, and the teacher who runs it. we go to the nearby gym for free once a week and belay elementary school kids once a month. but this doesn't matter for me b/c i work at the gym and can climb for free anyway :D

the problem is that all the kids who would be good at climbing (the jocks and other athletic kids) always do other sports, and the coaches at our school are like nazis with the practices - 6 days/week, usually like up to 4 hrs/day. so it is a limited club. but idgra. 8)

spiderwomann

Mar 19, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #14 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a student at Cherry Creek High School in Denver, Colorado, and yes, we have a team. Actually, it functions within the school as a club, because it can't get recognized or funded as a real sport. I one of three student board members who run the team along with two adult sponsors. We practice twice a month on the wall at our school, but it isn't really that great since the wall was built in the early 80's and we have to put up with basketball or vollyball players useing us as targets. But it is better than nothing. Then we compete in the Denver climbing league at paradise rock gym. It's really casual at my school, we main;y just hang out and try and improove, and practice on our own. The comps are really fun. We also take a couple of outdoor trips each year. We have about 45 members, but only 20 or so compete, the rest just climb for fun. The only main problem is that we don't get much respect at the school and we have to put up with massive amounts of paperwork. Also, we are trying to recieve a grant for a new wall, but it isn't looking hopeful. Anyone else with teams in denver? If we got CHSAA certified, it would be great.

Partner phaedrus

Mar 24, 2003, 5:30 AM
Post #15 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey... if anyone here IS on a team in CO, please PM either spiderwomann or me- I'm currently working with CHSAA to get climbing recognized by CHSAA as a sport.

Thanks!!

Todd

In reply to:
I'm a student at Cherry Creek High School in Denver, Colorado, and yes, we have a team. Actually, it functions within the school as a club, because it can't get recognized or funded as a real sport. I one of three student board members who run the team along with two adult sponsors. We practice twice a month on the wall at our school, but it isn't really that great since the wall was built in the early 80's and we have to put up with basketball or vollyball players useing us as targets. But it is better than nothing. Then we compete in the Denver climbing league at paradise rock gym. It's really casual at my school, we main;y just hang out and try and improove, and practice on our own. The comps are really fun. We also take a couple of outdoor trips each year. We have about 45 members, but only 20 or so compete, the rest just climb for fun. The only main problem is that we don't get much respect at the school and we have to put up with massive amounts of paperwork. Also, we are trying to recieve a grant for a new wall, but it isn't looking hopeful. Anyone else with teams in denver? If we got CHSAA certified, it would be great.

kriso9tails

Mar 27, 2003, 8:02 AM
Post #16 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I entered a highschool comp about two or three years ago. I was told that I could enter as an individual competitor. After some one I hardly knew graciously offered to drive me two hours out to the comp just to watch, and after I had paid I was told that I would not be allowed to compete as an individual competitor by the owner. His daughter, however, told me to ignore him and let me compete. I think my team of one still came in third or fourth. The first place team had two climbers who were at least a little better that I was, and the second place team had a climber who I think outclassed everybody there. It was interesting.

tatertot

Feb 2, 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #17 of 17 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Re: High School Climbing teams or clubs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys Im from Rye Colorado and I would really like to get on this movement to getting CHSAA to recognize us as a legit sport. So if there is any thing us "southerners" can do. Let me know. Also, how did cherry creek get insurance for there wall. I know that they are a large school, but there had to be more to that.

Tate

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook