First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

i.karen
Deleted

Oct 7, 2002, 9:37 PM
Post #1 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Pregnancy and climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For future, I was wondering if anyone has information if climbing is bad while being pregnant?

Partner polarwid

Oct 7, 2002, 10:17 PM
Post #2 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Pregnancy and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know there was an article in Climbing way back when about this very thing. I believe Alison Osius was pregnant, and climbed all the way up to about the eighth month. See if you can find the issue somewhere. I believe if a chest harness is used to keep the strain off the belly, and no LONG falls (top rope, sport climbs) did not seem to affect the baby, as the uterine wall and amniotic fluid protect the baby well. I think at least up until the around six months, there is probably no real problem at all except for finding correct fitting harnesses (wear them like a seat belt either above or below your "bulge") and augment with a chest harness to keep the pressure off of the uterus. I don't know about the swelling feet part, though...

Probably didn't help much at all did I?

i.karen
Deleted

Oct 7, 2002, 10:59 PM
Post #3 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it did help!!!

Adam and I were thinking about having kids in a year or so and just wanted to see if it would inhibit me from still climbing or not.

Thanks!!!

climbsomething

Oct 8, 2002, 12:50 AM
Post #4 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aw, and here I thought, by the forum index, that you were with child! Oh well, soon though... I reckon you'd keep rc.com informed

I once saw a chickipoo at Jacks Canyon with a proud baby belly sticking right out there, climbing in a sports bra. She had to be in at least her 5th month. I was impressed

russmanswife

Oct 8, 2002, 3:21 AM
Post #5 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i had a nice long reply but lost it do to computer problems! karen i was thinking about the same thing awhile ago and just never got around to asking it. russ and i talked about it and we kind of figured that as long as i took precautions it would be okay. chest harness is a good idea though the other thing i did think about with pregnancy your feet swell so you may have to get new shoes depends though it is different with every woman. it is a very good idea to double check with your doctor too and make sure that there isn't anything you didn't already think about and to make them aware you are doing it. with my first one no one would let my ride my horses a little over protective maybe but as long as you are careful there is no reason you can't do your normal activities i went to the gym everyday up until i had hunter without any problems and hopefully i will feel well enough to climb for as long as possible while i am pregnant the next time.

bobbi

rockwomyn

Oct 8, 2002, 1:43 PM
Post #6 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that most exercise as long as you have done it up until you became pregant is fine. I know women that have been avid runners and with their doctors permission were able to continue well into their pregnancies. So i imagine...and you look and seem like climbing is pretty regular in your life you should be fine. Although i would talk to your doctor...maybe even before you plan on trying to become pregnant. To see what his/her thoughts are.
Plus you can tell your kids...you were on the rock before you were even born !

Partner missedyno

Oct 8, 2002, 4:10 PM
Post #7 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i was climbing earlier this year in canmore, I saw a chicky climbing and looked quite pregnant. her group was rather vocal, so i overheard... she was about 6 mos pregnant i believe. saw her climbing some 10D's, felt proud, though i didn't know her.

she was wearing her harness below the belly.

tradaddict

Oct 10, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #8 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did my first multipitch climb with my brother leading and a women who was 7 months pregnent. I've never seen my brother sew up a climb like that before or since. During the rappel she wore a chest harness, but said it did little to help ease the pressure on her stomach.

mreardon

Oct 15, 2002, 12:07 AM
Post #9 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Write to climbing magazine and get the article by Alison. It was great and I've seen a few women climb using a chest harness (top rope only) up until their seventh month. But most of these women didn't even show until their fifth, so it also depends on how quickly you gain the weight, body type, etc.

My wife didn't climb at the time, but she went hiking and did other sports up until two weeks before our daughter was born.

russmanswife

Oct 25, 2002, 10:07 PM
Post #10 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just have to share this little story-

we were out at dinner last night and at the next table was a woman with her mother and her baby boy, hormones must be kicking in or something cause i start thinking i want another baby so...
i look at my husband and tell him you know if i got pregnant at the end of the year i could climb while it is still pretty good weather thinking i will be pretty big and not be able to climb in the hot months july, august and then i can climb again in the fall he just starts laughing and goes oh you got this all planned out now get the most climbing you can and not have to do it while it's hot? uuumm food for thought i guess. i won't go into the nursing and climbing i haven't gotten that figured out yet.

daisuke

Oct 27, 2002, 9:02 PM
Post #11 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not my personal experience... but when a friend got pregnant, she stopped climbing at about 4-5 months into the pregnancy and stopped what had been until then a rigorous training program as soon as she knew (it included a lot of situps)

I´d say it´s a sensible thing to avoid any type of climbing during the late months of pregnancy, if you were to fall and do so on your belly... bye bye baby...

I do guess it´s all about what you feel comfortable with, if you´re still very confident with your abilities when pregnant I think it shouldn´t be a problem, only you can assess the risk karen, good luck with it all though!

D

climbracer

Oct 30, 2002, 1:48 AM
Post #12 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think I would lead or boulder while pregnant. For me bouldering tends to pull harder at the muscles and tendons and remember your muscles soften up a bit during pregancy. I would avoid it after the fifth month.
Kathy

bigevilgrape

Nov 3, 2002, 3:08 AM
Post #13 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about a full body harness? that way all your weight would be above your belly. just a thought

aimeerose

Feb 10, 2003, 4:27 AM
Post #14 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just emailed Heather Sagar about this same issue (she just pulled V10 13 months after having her baby!) She said she mostly bouldered inside and didn't go too high. She climbed 10 days before she delivered! I have a friend who has been toproping into her 6th month. I know I'll be climbing as long as possible!

cologman

Feb 10, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #15 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife climbed up until she was 6 months pregnant with our now 17 yr. old daughter. She was doing some demanding alpine stuff. she was always pretty careful. Her doctor was amased at how fit she was for 39.

squishclimber

Feb 16, 2003, 7:04 AM
Post #16 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife is prego and really the most important thing is to keep any kind of jarring movements to an absolute minimum. FAlling would likely be something one would want to avoid. Otherwise go at it.......

josephine

Feb 16, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #17 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In this site there's is a very good article by Libby Peter for climbing and pregnancy.
Pregnancy and climbing

HTH

Penny

russmanswife

Feb 17, 2003, 2:43 AM
Post #18 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

penny thanks for the link to the article!

we just bought a chest harness to add to my regular harness, since i am finally showing at 3 months, add a little more security and hopefully take pressure off my tummy.

i notice this has been brought up again after the talk about lynn hill. i have continued to climb without problems through my pregnancy so far and hope to continue. so far the biggest obstacle i have had is just fatigue. so far so good. just hoping for my energy to return soon

bobbi

josephine

Feb 17, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #19 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a nice article!

Wooow,you are 3 months already!
Wooo-hooo!That's great!Congrats!

Penny

binerbaby

Feb 19, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #20 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbed pregnant per the following (top roping only):
Pre-pregnancy: 5.10
At 2 months: 5.10
At 3 months: 5.9
At 4 months: 5.8
At 5 months: 5.7 (technical, not strenuous, slab climbing)
At 6 months: belay only
At 7 months: hike only
At 8 months: walk only
At 9 months: climbed off of couch only - maybe

Post birth:

At 2 months: 5.7
At 3 months: 5.8
At 4 - 9 months: 5.9
broke ankle at 9 months
At 12 months: 5.8
At 15 months: 5.9
At 18 months: 5.10-

gretchino

Feb 28, 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #21 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love this topic...although I can't really give any input from experience (yet), last trip to Red Rocks, there was an adorible husband and wife team that was 6 months pregnant. She was the belay slave, but said she couldn't WAIT to get back on the wall!

stewbabby

Mar 1, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #22 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With our 1st my wife didnt climb at all. Her doctor said that in the early months the danger would probably be more from the risk of pulling too hard and that could cause problems, and once she started to show the main issue would be falling. Right now she is 3 months with #2 and has climbed 2 times, but has decided now to just belay. I have climbed with a chick that was 8 months before, and she did just fine. Pregnant chicks rock.

stewart

spyder

Mar 2, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #23 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My wife climbed up until she was 6 months pregnant with our now 17 yr. old daughter. She was doing some demanding alpine stuff. she was always pretty careful. Her doctor was amased at how fit she was for 39.
Hey man, what are you doing in the Ladies Room?

eowyn1025

Mar 3, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #24 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spyder: actually a lot of guys frequent the ladies room...believe it or not, they tend to contribute some very helpful comments to our forum....a guy's view on things can be helpful

porkerdorker

Mar 28, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #25 of 28 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think this is a great topic. i have 1 child-but didn't climb at all when i was prego with her--now my boyfriend, daughter and i all climb together. Lately i've been going thru "baby brain syndrome" and climbing and pregnancy always works it's way inside my brain too--you all gave some awesome replies!! thanks for the encouragement of not having to sit on the couch all day while the family climbs when i have another baby.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook