RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

paulv7

Mar 2, 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Going to Seattle area June 1-14
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all;
My fiance and I are going to be taking a trip out to the Seattle area this summer. I was hoping to get some info on good climbs and hikes in the area. Plus anything else you guys and gals would recommend we must see. We are planning 2 weeks so anything from north California to British Columbia would be of interest.
Climbs would be in the 5.8-10 Sport/TR single pitch.

Thanks in advance
Paul

bentsid

Mar 5, 2003, 1:30 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Going to Seattle area June 1-14 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out deceptioncrags.com and cascadecrags.com
for areas near Seattle. Hope you enjoy it out here...

otter

Apr 3, 2003, 7:35 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am catching up with posts that I missed while taking a computer sebatical.

I hope you're still checking this out.

There is one area on the far side of exit 38 off of I90 that has a lot of short topropable climbs in the range that you mentioned. It is called Gritscone in the Exit 38 Rock Climbing Guide by Garth Bruce. I think this book is only available locally. It can be picked up at the Seattle REI and then sold back to one of the local used bookstores if you want a temperary copy. Exit 38 is about 45 minutes from Seattle. There are a couple other areas that have some toproping as well...but for that range of climbs the one I mentioned has the most concentration.

So far the best outdoor climbing I have experienced in Washington is outside of Leavenworth. An area called Icicle Canyon. It is beautiful granite and has plenty of toproping opportunities. There are campgrounds in a-plenty in the area as well. And if you are there midweek there would be less of a crowd. This area is on the east side of the cascades about a 2.5+ hour drive from Seattle. Some of the best hiking trails are located in this area as well. The hiking guide is 100 hikes in Washingtons Apine Lakes. The climbing guide is Leaenworth Rock by Victor Kramar. Jeff Smoot's Washington Rock climbing guide has routs for this area as well but not in as good of detail.

Are you planning on car camping on this trip? Or staying in seattle? I can give you some more detailed info if i know a bit more about your trip.

Otter

paulv7

Apr 4, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Otter thanks for the info I Private messaged you a few questions with more specifics about our trip.

Thanks again for the info!!

otter

Apr 4, 2003, 6:47 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your welcome...

I got the pm and started a reply but got buggered down with a migraine yesterday :cry: ... and today am heading out to go climbing for the weekend :) ...so I will work on the reply early next week... expect a novel :wink: !

Later,
Otter

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook