Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

darkside

Mar 10, 2003, 9:48 AM
Post #1 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

High jinks and March mudness at NRP
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:cry: Well for me and crazylikeafawkes, the gathering at NRP is done. I am happy to report though that for some, the fun, frivolity, and climbing, goes on. I got to revisit with some old friends and have a bunch of new faces to remember when reading posts now. As the gathering extends into next weekend, I would heartily recommend joining in if you have the opportunity.

How did it go for me :?: Friday started early around 8am to get ready and packed before work. After work I met crazylikeafawkes and katydid and we took an overnight drive from Canada down to West Virginia. Arriving just in time to gear up and go climbing we headed over the via ferrata(a great hit with all who did it) to the IMOL wall while some went to the 007 wall. On the lower IMOL I spotted a couple of cracks that looked fun so upon learning from captain_prozac that there were some 5.6's and 5.7's in that area I picked out the one I wanted to do. Along with Kate I started the climb and around the crux as Pete came by he informed me the climbs he was referring to were the other two cracks. Apparently the one I had chosen wasn't an established climb. Flummaxed by this beta, a tricky crux, and a small brassy at my feet, I finally completed the climb in less than best style. Now apparently I had a FA to name.

Later we headed back to camp where thoughts turned to beer and food. Now apart from beer that individuals had brought, climbinganne brought the first 4 kegs with more scheduled to arrive soon. As for food, there were various options but the meal of legends was cooked on a campfire by rck_climber and his buddies Ken and Aaron. People were literally drooling over Kens steaks, and chef extraordinaire skills with marinade. As the evening progressed, the cook fire became the campfire and everyone had a Saturday night blast. I finally had to hit the sack after having been up since Friday morning, having driven overnight, had only an hour's nap en route, and climbed and partied day and night. A mere 39 hour day.

Sunday dawned sans the forecast rain, with beautiful sun, but winds fit to fly the grandest of kites. A little breezy. A number of people headed into the earths bowels while some of us sheltered from the wind as best we could by hitting the 007 wall.

Even hanging around camp in the late afternoon was fun but for a few of us the impending departure tainted the mood a little. Reluctantly Mick and crew, crazylikeafawkes and myself, and jerrygarcia eventually headed out. Now for those of you eagle-eyes you may have noticed I had two passengers going down but only one returning. For the second time at a gathering, I have abandoned someone. After leaving fiend at the Gunks gathering last year, I have now left katydid with the crew at NRP. I think she wasn't too upset at the abandonment, whatever will she do down there though :idea: oh yes, climb with all y'all.

As we took the final ride down the very muddy, now deeply rutted road to the cabins, we knew we were the last to be using the road before it being closed to unneccessary vehicles. The snow/rain/ice had left it in a very bad state. As we got to the bottom, we found a tree fallen across the bottom as if to emphasize the point. We loaded gear from the shuttle vehicle to my car and were about to leave when stigonrock and mountainrat turned up. I would have loved to have more opportunity to chat but we will hook up again this summer hopefully.

Glen, your Dad's beer awaits you with coach. Be warned and take a good pair of mud boots as should anyone else. If the weather holds, the place was drying out well but also watch for Anne's son Andrew as some of the snowballs he tries to catch folks with sometimes contain some of that mud :twisted:

Many people deserve thanks this weekend but notably our host Stu and the power behind the organizing, Anne. Great job guys.

jerrygarcia

Mar 10, 2003, 3:15 PM
Post #2 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

High jinks and March mudness at NRP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grant, WOOHOO glad you made it back. I uploaded a bunch of pics to an album called NRP Gathering. They should be viewable pretty soon(go to my pics in my profile). I will be back down thursday night if you want to make the 11 hour journey again :lol:

darkside

Mar 10, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #3 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not so much that I am putting NRP on ice next weekend but rather that I am putting ME on ice next weekend. My tools are showing withdrawal symptoms :lol:
I hope the temps are above freezing down there, you can send the below freezing temps my way.

Partner missedyno

Mar 10, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yawn.... i'm back too. got in around 4am, showered and went to bed in a lovely sleep deprived state of delirium.... up around noon and i have a few hours before work to go...

the trip was great for me as well. what a good feeling to recharge my solar powered batteries by climbing in the sun... yet here in toronto the long winter continues, and i returned to -30C temps (with the windchill factored in, that stupid wind)

thanks again to grant for driving and i'll learn standard before i ask to carpool with ya again....

great to meet so many people and to rck_climber i say
THOSE WERE THE BEST DANG STEAKS I'VE EVER HAD!!!

yeah! i'll check in later.... jerry garcia's pics don't seem to have gone through the approval process.. :?

rockwomyn

Mar 10, 2003, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also home and excited that we were able to get in some good climbs....i even got a sun tan on by back saturday...

Give it up for tank tops in march....anyway it was nice to meet so many folks and even more amazing to be climbing this time of year with snow still on the ground.

so i am back in one piece...just a little muddy with a couple of cuts and bruises.

Oh and rck_climber....as jess was sleeping i heard her mumbling about marinated steaks, butter and peppercoen potatoes.....corn on the cob....garble...garble... by far rck_climber and his buddies ken and aaron did it up with grub.

daniwilli and brian it was nice to met you both and to climb a little together...didn't get to say goodbye...it was nice to meet you both.

~eryn

And more will unfold for sure.......... :twisted:

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 10, 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #6 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like y'all had much fun, and once again I had to read about it from work on my 'puter. And I once again missed an oportunity to meet you 'crazy'. :(

'darkside' and 'rck_climber' are some of my favorite people thus far from the site, so more----------> :( .

But Grant... What did you name the climb ???

jerrygarcia

Mar 11, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #7 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here are some of the pics from the gathering.

howitzer

Mar 11, 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #8 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NICE pics dave!!! ;) wish I was back there now. Had a great time - and they are still whooping it up over there. Dave did an AWESOME job taking us caving on sunday - never done anything like that. Climbing was great, although it was chilly yesterday - a balmy 30 degrees (without windchill which was high)... but today it's flurries in DC I can only imagine what's goin on over there!!! When i left coach and betaben were headed back to play horseshoes and drink beer. I think that sums up the weekend! Once again I heard dualing banjos as i passed the WV state line....
:)

rockwomyn

Mar 11, 2003, 4:25 PM
Post #9 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey grant.......i though you were going to call that first ascent of your's "eryn's route"....lol!!!! :twisted:

darkside

Mar 11, 2003, 6:19 PM
Post #10 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "new route", well as I put my shoes on for my first climb of the season, the one was hurting like a sonofabitch. Although a varied climb, there was a fair bit of lichen flying down at Kate while she belayed, every time she looked up I believe :? When I took my shoe off there was a nice purple dent in two toes.
The next day when I put my shoe on it fit great as ever :?: :? :?: As I put the other shoe on, right between the laces and tongue was a big piece of lichen. I think that was when I decided on the name. "eryn's route".
Oh hang on that was my other choice :P Well I thought a little pun on words was in order so..........
"Not Lichen my shoe"

theooze

Mar 11, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #11 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New routing at Nelson requires certain tools - wire brushes for lichen and hand pruners for greenbriar among them.

Grant - thanks for the great TR. I enjoyed seeing you again. Be careful out there on the steep and thin. This is the time of year it starts falling down, eh?

jerrygarcia

Mar 11, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #12 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather report @ NRP is for high 50's low 60's friday saturday and sunday. I am counting the minutes until me and the girlfriend leave work thursday evening. I will be back down by 9pm or so and ready to climb on friday. Roninthorne, you making breakfast for us?

theooze

Mar 11, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #13 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks amazingly good, don't it? :)

Hope it don't rain too much between now and then. :?

rockwomyn

Mar 11, 2003, 8:07 PM
Post #14 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grant-

i think i'm lichen your choice much better.......good call and congrats.

Partner missedyno

Mar 11, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #15 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but anyone want to hear about the Best Steak Ever???
:lol:

theooze

Mar 11, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #16 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This weekend we've got some giveaways. I just got in certs. for three 1 year subscriptions to climbing mag.

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 12, 2003, 1:41 AM
Post #17 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, makes me wish i could run back up there.

the trip was great, i thought. first night i thought i was going to be the only one in a tent when i heard mike thumping around outside near midnight. went out and helped him set up camp and had a great time climbing the next day. the rock was nice and that bridge on the ferrata was IT. got to clean for someone on a contrived three pitcher that left us a little... stranded.

caving sunday was GREAT. highly recommended for anyone who is heading down there. dave (jerrygarcia) is the best guide ever. knows the caves like the back of his hand and even though i've never done anything like it before it was a totally comfortable experience.

theooze

Mar 12, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #18 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We were supposed to get everybody to put something in a hat.

What was the 3 pitcher?

darkside

Mar 12, 2003, 8:11 AM
Post #19 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
New routing at Nelson requires certain tools - wire brushes for lichen and hand pruners for greenbriar among them.

Grant - thanks for the great TR. I enjoyed seeing you again. Be careful out there on the steep and thin. This is the time of year it starts falling down, eh?

Actually I did see a pair of pruners about 6ft from the base of the route :D
It was a pleasure Stu, I hope I can get down again before long and don't forget to say hi to LaVonne for me thanks.
This time of year it becomes the cold and phat; and hopefully it won't start falling for another month or so :shock:

Just for the record, I took a hang at the crux after getting elvis so huge I thought it was an earthquake and with pro so dodgy even Kate could see it was bad from below (after I got some good pro in obviously). Pretty embarrassing for a 5.6 or 5.7 eh? :oops:

I hear ya johnny. Can you believe it is like 5-6 days before the rest of them will be done and back to post their antics.

Steak?? MMmmm, heavenly http://216.40.249.192/...ai/biggrinangelA.gif

vertical_reality

Mar 12, 2003, 6:48 PM
Post #20 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What could I possibly say about Oozefest? How about... it was a f&$%#ing blast!!!!!

I got there late Friday night and luckily met One900johnnyk who had a nice toasty fire going at the tent site and then helped me pitch my tent. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only person freezing their butt off!

On Saturday morning a group of us climbed at the 007 wall. A few people (well ok, me) had to work out the kinks after a long cold winter, but between the snowballs I was able to get up a few nice routes. After lunch myself, Howitzer and Jessus headed over to Area 51 for a couple of slab climbs. Then we headed back to camp for some yummy burgers and beverages. The night ended with everyone laughing and having a good time around the camp fire.

On Sunday we were treated to something a little different. Rather then doing some vertical climbing, we did some horizontal crawling. Jerrygarica lead a group of us deep into the bowels of the Earth. After climbing over, under and around huge boulders, squeezing our way through narrow passages and screaming like little girls at the cutest bats we ended up exploring caverns that very few people will ever see. Unfortunately we didn't find any pirate treasure. After some delicious spaghetti the night came to an end with everyone inside a cabin enjoying the warmth of a heater and each others stories.

After spending the weekend enjoying myself at Oozefest I just wanted you guys (Troy, Dennis, Mike, half a dozen Dave’s, Anne, Johnny, a couple of Pete’s, Kate, Brenda, Jess, Abi, Coach and everyone else I forgot) to know that I had a great time meeting you all.

I'd like to send a special thanks to Stu for letting us enjoy his playground, to Howitzer for giving me a ride over there, and a big hug for Anne to say thanks for making it all happen.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 12, 2003, 7:19 PM
Post #21 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://community.the-underdogs.org/...y/happy/music049.gifOozey !!! Oozey !!! Oozey !!!http://community.the-underdogs.org/...y/happy/music049.gif

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 12, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #22 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stu: not certain about the route. i know it was at the 007 wall and it started on a sport route to a set of anchors a few feet left of a nice sized tree there... the last two pitches were perhaps our own creation. up an overhanging crux to a ledge and then traversing to the right almost to the VF.

thanks again!

theooze

Mar 12, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #23 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all of you as well. All the great teamwork has really kept things together up there.

I had to stay an extra day back in MD, but I'm getting an early start tomorrow and picking up Bryan, who got his abscessed tooth drained and is stoked to climb (in other words he's back to normal).

Can't wait! Saturday is going to be an extravaganza.

rck_climber

Mar 13, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #24 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all of you for making this an excellent gathering!

I left Ohio friday afternoon in the trusty Amigo - she'll go nowhere in a hurry, but there's nowhere she won't go :). I got down to Ken's house, my Colorado climbing partner, about 8pm (he moved to Weston, WV last December). After a quick gear load (i.e. just dump it all in, we'll figure it out when we get there), we were off in his Jeep w/ his brother Aaron.

We got down to NRP at about 10:30pm Friday evening and the Jeep crawled up the icy slope to the cabins. We were welcomed by Anne, et al with a freshly tapped keg and a warm campfire. A few tall stories and beers later, it was time to rack out in our deluxe cabin accomodations - Thanks Stu for putting those great cabins up, they're perfect!

Saturday morning dawned with climbing fever in the air, as everyone hurried to put some warm food in their bellys to ward off the morning chill before heading out. Ken, Aaron and I (notorious for my Army navigation skills) took the "scenic" route before arriving at the famed Via Ferrata bridge - somehow skipping the entire first half of the route. One word can describe the Via Ferrata - AMAZING!!!. Stu and the boys have done an incredible job putting this together and the payoff is immediate - with fantastic exposure and gorgeous views, the Via Ferrata is a MUST DO for anyone who finds him/herself in WV. Once that was done we got a chance to climb a quick route w/ captainprozac and rockwomyn (sp?) before heading off to find more rock. Ken and I put Aaron through the paces on some easier stuff before calling it a day and heading back to camp for some much-needed food and beer.

I'll pass on the accolades to Ken for his dinner that evening. As some have already mentioned, Ken is a great cook and prepared a feast for many of us, including steak, baked potatoes and corn on-the-cob. YUM!! Then it was on to more beer and more tall stories by the fireside, as people gestured and contorted their bodies by firelite describing in every detail the day's climbs.

Sunday morning dawned colder with a strong wind. After a more leisurely breakfast, it was off to climb - wind-be-damned. Ken, Aaron and I were joined by darkside, crazylikeafawkes, pornstarr, rockwomyn and a few others for some fun climbing on the 007 wall. A great time was had by all.

Alas, it was time to pack up the Jeep and say our farewells as the evening drew close. The trip was an overwhelming success from our point of view and would like to thank everyone for making the gathering such a good time.

Ken and Aaron asked me to specifically thank darkside, crazylikeafawkes, rockwomyn, captainprozac, pornstarr, climbinganne, howitzer (and your friend Jess), and most importantly, Stu for making this trip so much fun for us. While I missed climbing w/ some of my friends from the Salt Lake gathering (rrrAdam, ikaren, nikegirl, hangarlessbolt, clymber, and of course, Amber), it was great fun to meet more RC.com'ers and make a bunch of new friends.

Thanks everybody,
Mick (and Ken & Aaron)

rockwomyn

Mar 13, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #25 of 421 (17346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D oh it makes me wanna go back....glad to hear you all made it home safely and that you had fun. it was great to meet you guys.
~eryn (rockwomyn)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook