Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
Lumpy Ridge (CO) climbers: dust off your hiking boots!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

mikedano

Mar 25, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #1 of 2 (721 views)
Shortcut

Lumpy Ridge (CO) climbers: dust off your hiking boots!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just got a letter in the mail yesterday from Mr. Vaughn L. Baker, superintendent of the National Park Service. Looks like NPS has decided to shut down the main parking area for Lumpy Ridge and relocate it to the Gem Lakes trailhead. The Gem Lakes TH is about half a mile southeast of the current Twin Owls parking area/trailhead. Construction on the new trailhead/parking area (which will hold 80-100 cars) is scheduled to begin in the Fall.

What this means is that to go to Lumpy, you will soon have to park at the Gem Lake TH, and hike an extra .7 miles to get to Twin Owls. Details on this can be found here:
http://www.climbingboulder.com/resources/features/
(near bottom of page)
and here:
httP://www.nps.gov/romo/planning/planningdocs.html

The good news is that climbers will no longer have to drive through MacGregor Ranch to get to the Lumpy parking area, a lot that only held about a dozen cars. The bad news is that we've got almost a mile longer hike to get to any of the rocks. I personally feel like this is very good news because the longer hike might cut down on the crowds by weeding out lazy Boulder climbers, as well as end the troubled relationship with the ranch owners.

just_me

Apr 22, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #2 of 2 (721 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lumpy Ridge (CO) climbers: dust off your hiking boots! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I was just at Lumpy again today, and I was really wondering what changes were to take place and when. I am bummed to hear that the approach will be much longer, but at least I know what to expect!

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook