Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Mar 27, 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #1 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Help save my ugly toes!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is really really nasty, but I think I am going to lose my big toe nails! I have injured and bruised them so bad that I have painted them to hide thier 'natural' color. When I stub my toe or someone accidentally steps on my foot, the pain is excruciating, especially after taking off my climbing shoes. I'm afraid to go to the doctors because I think she will tell me that I am going to lose them for sure. anyway to save them? I am so embarassed by my ugly climbing feet :oops:

With monkey feet like mine, I can't afford to make them any uglier! but I will do anything to stop the pain!

beercanclimber

Mar 27, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #2 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Help save my ugly toes! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it's the price we pay for tight fitting, high performance shoes. take a pic and post it, i think we should glorify our nasty feet!

bontrager

Mar 27, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #3 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
After they are recently injured, i usually take a tiny drill bit and run it through the base of the nail (spin it with your fingers). This will relieve the pressure from the blood building up and get rid of the awful throbbing. Eventually they'll "die" and you can cut them back because they'll lose their attachment to the nailbed. I'll run a tiny knife or something up under them to free them up and then hack 'em off.
Sounds worse than it is.
Self podiatry.

This totally works. Just watch out from injuring your nail too much. I used to jump off of cliff skiing. One time I didn't tighten my boots enough and smacked my toe into the front of the boot on the landing. The resulting injury permanently screwed up the nails root. Since then the nail has never grown back fully and it comes out all weird.

this would ruin the open toe shoes for you forever.
In reply to:

enigma

Mar 27, 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #4 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
After they are recently injured, i usually take a tiny drill bit and run it through the base of the nail (spin it with your fingers). This will relieve the pressure from the blood building up and get rid of the awful throbbing. Eventually they'll "die" and you can cut them back because they'll lose their attachment to the nailbed. I'll run a tiny knife or something up under them to free them up and then hack 'em off.
Sounds worse than it is.
Self podiatry.

This totally works. Just watch out from injuring your nail too much. I used to jump off of cliff skiing. One time I didn't tighten my boots enough and smacked my toe into the front of the boot on the landing. The resulting injury permanently screwed up the nails root. Since then the nail has never grown back fully and it comes out all weird.

this would ruin the open toe shoes for you forever.
In reply to:

Wonderwoman,please go to a doctor before trying this home cure! Really sounds dangerous,what if you slip????

You should see a doctor too,bontrager if this is seriously what your doing
with drills :!: In addition to a podiatrist,hey what are you thinking??
Your going to get infections and all sorts of problems with these procedures. :(

dekenstructor1

Mar 27, 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #5 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain. Quite relieved that I am not alone in this. :oops:

bontrager

Mar 27, 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #6 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wonderwoman,please go to a doctor before trying this home cure! Really sounds dangerous,what if you slip????

with drills In addition to a podiatrist,hey what are you thinking??
Your going to get infections and all sorts of problems with these procedures.

The very first time this happened I went to the podiatrist and he drilled a hole in the nail and releived the pressure. This is not an open wound it is a blister. If you are worrried about infection because of nasty hygenie then put some neosporin. If you don't releive the pressure you will endure needless pain and damage your nails root permanently.

This happens to me often because I have large (size 14) skinny (AAA) feet. So my foot tends to move around alot in my shoes.

If you are super worried you can sterilize the drill bit with alcohol or boilking the bit. Do not put any pressure on the drill either the weight of the drill will cut through like butter. The whole procedure is painless. As long as you don't drill more than your nail :twisted:

enigma

Mar 27, 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #7 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

with drills In addition to a podiatrist,hey what are you thinking??
Your going to get infections and all sorts of problems with these procedures.

The very first time this happened I went to the podiatrist and he drilled a hole in the nail and releived the pressure. This is not an open wound it is a blister. If you are worrried about infection because of nasty hygenie then put some neosporin. If you don't releive the pressure you will endure needless pain and damage your nails root permanently.

This happens to me often because I have large (size 14) skinny (AAA) feet. So my foot tends to move around alot in my shoes.

If you are super worried you can sterilize the drill bit with alcohol or boilking the bit. Do not put any pressure on the drill either the weight of the drill will cut through like butter. The whole procedure is painless. As long as you don't drill more than your nail :twisted:

And if you slip?? or wonderwoman?? hey, this still sounds dangerous,and your not a podiatrist.
:roll: Yeah I know they have a racket,but still... This isn't a good idea!! If you want to do it ,fine.But to recommend it,really now!!

Hey why don't you try those red chili shoes??,they are suppose to be narrower. :idea:

plund

Mar 28, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #8 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend who is inaccurate with his hammer has samshed a fingernail several times, & each time performed the drill-bit trick, sterilizing with alcohol and turning the bit BY HAND until he struck blood. I tell him to get a contractor, as the hammer is obviously too technologically complex for him to manage. He did go to the doc once who....drilled a little hole at the nail base. OK, enough said- but wonderwoman, DO send in a picture for all to view & "enjoy"...

bontrager

Mar 28, 2003, 12:05 AM
Post #9 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And if you slip?? or wonderwoman?? hey, this still sounds dangerous,and your not a podiatrist.
Yeah I know they have a racket,but still... This isn't a good idea!! If you want to do it ,fine.But to recommend it,really now!!

Hey why don't you try those red chili shoes??,they are suppose to be narrower

Hey, she asked for the help. I am just passing on the info. I have advised my friends to do this procedure on themselves and those who are "brave" enough, have thanked me for saving them the trip and cost to the doc.

If wonderwoman isn't comfortable she can have the podiatrist do it for her. To me that is far scarier since he can't feel when to stop.

In reality she should have more arm control than any doc due to her climbing. Plus this isn't dealing with live tissue, once the nail comes out it is dead, hence it is painless to cut your toe nails. Plus it is not like I am recommending to take a Bosch Hammer drill and a masonary bit to her nail.

Just a clean 1/8" bit and in literally two seconds the pain is gone and it creates the perfect draining hole.

My climbing shoes are a great fit. I mostly lose my toe nails running and skiing.

anyways this is just IMHO.

Good luck which ever way you go!

meataxe

Mar 28, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #10 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lost a big toe nail after mountain biking with my nails not trimmed short enough. It just loosened up and fell off, then a new one came back.

moeman

Mar 28, 2003, 1:50 AM
Post #11 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GO TO A PODIATRIST

Belive me, nasty stuff can happen to then big toe. My sister had theis huge beign growth that covered her entire big toe, and it all started with her toe getting stepped of, then accidentally spilling boiling water on it. See a doctor beforeit gets worse

dig_scott

Apr 5, 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #12 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how long will it be until you can climb when you toe nail falls off?

monkei

Apr 5, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #13 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a year ago i crushed my toe in a crack, then someone stepped on it, now it looks like this
a good piece was no longer attached, so i clipped it off. looks like there's some new nail trying to grow in the cave below, but it's all messedd up. toe hooks hurt a little, but i'm afraid of getting it "fixed" if that means having no toenail & not climbing for a few weeks :?:

Partner one900johnnyk

Apr 5, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #14 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

superglue!

bakedjake

Apr 5, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #15 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definatly see a doc.... an infection could occur!!! Being an old blue colalr boy I've had the opportunity for loseing lots of finger and toe nails. The worst part is when the nail is half off, half on and the skin underneath hasn't calloused and everything you get near somehow manages to snag the nail. The pain is excrutiating!

I've done the drilling thing before as well. It does relieve the pressure but I don't know if I can recommend it. I did it on a finger whereas the toe might be more susceptable? to a fungal infection.

Partner sauron

Apr 7, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #16 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's the price we pay for tight fitting, high performance shoes. take a pic and post it, i think we should glorify our nasty feet!

http://www.the-infinite.org/...foot/foot1-small.jpg

http://www.the-infinite.org/...foot/foot3-small.jpg

The price we pay for climbing.

- d.

bigo

Apr 7, 2003, 9:01 PM
Post #17 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My pop had a nail that needed to be drained, and the doctor told him to heat a thin wire with a lighter and melt a hole through the nail - worked like a charm.

tcollins

Apr 7, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #18 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, my dad taught me the hot nail trick when I was little. I've used it and needles. Works like a charm. I lose about 3-4 toe nails a year. No biggy. Mine all look fine.

TD

gretchino

Apr 7, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #19 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good grief, go to the person who spent YEARS in school to fix your feet! The doctor is going to help you better than you can help yourself...good god people Self Drilling! Whoa!

sniprfiend

Apr 8, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #20 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm about to lose mine also, and I AM seeing a doctor (I did drain it myself) becuase there is some swelling and redness, and a preliminary evaluation from a friend that is also a doctor said that it could be or starting to get infected.

So, how long before I'm climbing again? Same day with tape over it?

achinghands

Apr 8, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #21 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The hot nail/drill bill/ in my case sharp sciscors (would not recommend) "procedure" works well. Depends on how willing you are to do it. I remember the first time I did it I was pretty scared, but like someone said I would rather do it myself than trust someone else who cannot "feel" it. Up to you but it's all the same.

wonderwoman

Apr 9, 2003, 1:45 PM
Post #22 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I am years beyond the 'reduce swelling' part, so I will not be drilling holes in my toenails, but thanks for the advice. I am to the point of my big toenails wiggle and are only semi attached. but attached enough that it hurts like a muthah when I stub my toe, or my toe rubs against the blanket and the toenail gets lifted away from my toe. That kills! I think most of my nail is dead. My nails are thick and kind of brownish yellow and I can see under the nail. I have been painting them pink to cover the color, because they are so ugly!!! Maybe I should get them removed?? I do not have the stomach to do that part myself. And I'm afraid that I won't be able to climb for a while... maybe I will do it in the fall....

I think I will kiss open toed shose goodbye forever. :?

blueeyedclimber

Apr 9, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #23 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WW, I think your toes are gorgeous and I will suck them anytime. I have been telling you that all along.

Blue

wonderwoman

Apr 9, 2003, 3:38 PM
Post #24 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:oops: aw shucks!!!

I never thought my toes would inspire a three page thread!

jumaringjeff

Apr 9, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #25 of 47 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jesus christ sauron, clip yer fukkin toenails.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook