RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

mikeb

Mar 31, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1433 views)
Shortcut

life expectancy of line?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all you slackers. At the risk of jinxing myself and having my line break on me tomorrow, how long do you use your line before it breaks? I bought a line two seasons ago after a trip to the valley. I leave it up year-round, in the sun and rain and snow, but it still seems ok. So, do most people replace their line on a regular basis, or just keep using it till it breaks? thanks, see ya in Yosemite this spring!

therealbovine

Mar 31, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1433 views)
Shortcut

life expectancy of line? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just like runners and ropes used for climbing, you want to follow these procautions reguarding the life of your softgoods.

Keep it away from heat
keep it out of extended exposure to UV ( already choked on that one....we all do)
keep away from chemicals
keep clean, away from dirt and sand

To visually check you line, look for abrasions, tears and cuts. Look near the knots to see how much the lines color has faded. If its really changed in color, toss it. Feel the line. Most are made of tubular nylon webbing. Roll the tube between your finger and thumb. Is it still soft and supple or is it stiff and crispy? If its crispy toss it. Also think about how much dirt and or sand has been ground deep into the fiber. This breaks the inner fibers and causes unseen damage to the webbing. Wash the line if you think it needs it. Re tie the knots! Knots are the weakest point on the line. Try not to use the same knots season sfter season. This is where thay usually break.

If all else fails...webbing is pretty cheap.........

Best of luck!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook