RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

charrock

Dec 19, 2001, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 5 (747 views)
Shortcut

return to climbing/kids shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all: New here, names Charlie. My daughter has brought me back to the sport of climbing. Her (12 YO) desire to climb got me thinking of my early exploits in this sport. I had a great time in the 70's and early 80's climbing in Maryland and out west CA. Only top ropping tho'. We use to make our own harnesses, oftened used gold line rope, butt belays, etc. I've got lots of new stuff to learn but I still have a good feel on rock (actually indoor gyms). This is a great site, lots of friendly folks, young and old, new climbers and veterans, guys and girls.
In the old days we climbed in our boots. So I started checking out the new shoes. I like the web site often cited here, sportextreme. Really like their prices. A couple of Q's for you. Best shoe for kids? cheap & comfortable. She's around a 3. What shoe does sportextreme carry that is similar to the Boreal Equinox (for me). Sportextreme doesn't carry it but I like its feel not it's price. I tried on the Ace, but the rubber seemed harder than the Equinox. So what y'all think? This is the beginning of many questions. Thanks, Charlie

squeeks

Dec 20, 2001, 4:36 PM
Post #2 of 5 (747 views)
Shortcut

return to climbing/kids shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as far as shoes go, i dont know the exact size ranges on these ones but these are a few to have her try.
boreal ninja jr.($70)
boreal diablo ($108)
five ten spire ($99)

the five ten spire is suppose to be fairly comfortable for all day climbs. also considered a good entry level shoe.

the boreal diablo is also a good entry level shoe but im not sure about sizes.

the boreal ninja jr. is a great youth shoe in my opinion but again, i dont know the exact size ranges.

if you have any questions on them or anything else, feel free to ask.

graniteboy

Dec 20, 2001, 4:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey; if you don't wanna spend 80$ on shoes for your kid every 6 months as her feet grow, conider this: Take her last pair of tennies (slighly small) grind the soles down flat with a belt sander, and glue some rock shu rubber on there. Or have the local cobbler do this for you. I've done this w/ my neice's shoes and it works pretty well. It also depends on how hard your kid is gonna climb. If she's firing 5.11, obviously she'll need real shoes. But if she's just scoping it out a little, the above solution works well.
Granite.

squeeks

Dec 20, 2001, 6:36 PM
Post #4 of 5 (747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i found some others. you can actually get the five ten spires for $59.40, which do come in all sizes. la sportiva cliff for $100, boreal diablo for $108 which has all sizes, or the five ten zlipper for women is around $100. these shoes i just listed are on mountaingear.com. the last post were on rei.com. check it out. hope that was some help. let me know if i can do anything else.

vbrgclimber

Dec 21, 2001, 8:50 PM
Post #5 of 5 (747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YA ninjas (jr and reg) are awesome, i recomend those

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook