RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

dontfall

Apr 5, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Updated!! Competiton Help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking into competitive climbing. It's been a dream of mine the day I first started climbing. I typically climb top rope but I am getting more into bouldering. I can climb a 5'8 solid and 5'9 sketchy. If you read the replys, you can see that they mentioned that I got my ratings mixed up. Oh well, no biggie, even though I do feel a little stupid. Anways...How good should I be??? What should I look foward to if and when I enter a comp???

Thanks

-Chris-

danyelle

Apr 5, 2003, 5:46 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Updated!! Competiton Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for it dude! You'd be suprised at the number of novices you would have potentially beaten with your bouldering skills had you entered the climbing comp at Gov Stable last weekend.

Just keep practicing and enter a comp to see how you stack up. Worst you can do it loose, and you might be suprised at how well you do. Each competition can be different and turnout can be an impact too but I say go for it, have fun and keep climbing hard.

~Danyelle

P.S. For all the best bouldering spots in PA look into PAC. And give Govenor Stables a try for sure! I also think I can hook you up with a partner in your area if you are interested PM me.

agentoffortune

Apr 5, 2003, 6:42 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Start competing now. Enter in beginners division, if they have one. If not, place last. It's fun either way. Just climb.

Richard

winstonfb

Apr 5, 2003, 7:18 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Props for the bouldering skills. Any particular reason you seem to perform so well in that area? I (climbing top rope) can send 5.11, but I don't think I've bouldered anything higher than a v3 :? . In fact, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me who's the not-quite-average one here -- myself or Chris?

high_times

Apr 5, 2003, 8:16 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude....more props to you holmes...but how do you only climb 5.10 and boulder v6?....are you like negative stamina or something???...don't get me wrong...v6 is pimp..but thats equatable to like a 5.12d ir so.

duskerhu

Apr 5, 2003, 11:38 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'd think he either has his ratings confused or you can take into account that gym ratings are very subjective...

If you can really boulder V5 or V6, you should have no problems with 5.9's and 5.10's...

At anyrate, if you're interested in competing, then find a comp and go for it! I personally don't like to actually compete in comps, but prefer to be a belay slave (especially on a mid-range "advanced"/low-range "intermediate" route) and have lots of fun watching the competitors work their climbs...

As mentioned, you'll no doubt be surprised how many "novice/begginers" are there and you'll probably be fine...

Have fun!

duskerhu

surforclimb

Apr 5, 2003, 2:27 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definatly go and try a comp. they are alot of fun. but the ratings you say you climb seem off. i wouldn't go by what the gym says for bouldering ratings. instead go outside and see what you climb there. cause a V6 is like a hard 12. i climb easy 12's outside but not inside. (and outside is on lead) and boulder V5-6 outside and V4-5 inside. the ratings are all subjective but the ones outside are alittle more accurate then inside. especially if your setters don't get outside much to compare. but definatly compete. they are alot of funa nd you get get some cool stuff alot of the time.

otherain

Apr 5, 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like everybody else said, climb the comp for fun. who cares how you do, especially the first time. Work on your stamina though, climb laps, or traverse. the last one i was in i burned myself out and fell on a route i knew i could do :( dont let the same happen to you :!: have fun and climb on.

dontfall

Apr 5, 2003, 8:22 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i didn't realize i got my ratings mixed up. so maybe i climb a little less than a v'3. i duno..i get my ratings mixed up between inside and outside but were all climbers here so lets not complain at my little fault. thanks for the help everyone and boulder on, gtg to work...peace

-chris-

jhwnewengland

Apr 5, 2003, 9:10 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

even bouldering V5, you should climb 5.11 no problem. Anyway, go for it! I just entered my first comp yesterday, in the beginner category (I climb 5.10, boulder V3 outside), and it was really chill, definitely a good time.

madriver

Apr 6, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall

If you can, sign up for the Earth Treks "Smackdown" comp Sat. April 12th. There will be a TON of solid competition. You willl definetley get a good read on where you stand and have a great time. Check out there web site and hope to see you there!!

MR

http://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook