RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

climberstephen

Dec 21, 2001, 9:59 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Gear Heads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's a pet-peeve...

Why do people find it necessary to fill their gear loops up with stuff while at the gym? Who really needs runners, cordage tangles, nut tools, extra biners, or even trad gear when climbing inside? Quickdraws make sense if you are leading, but why have 10 draws while top roping? I even see people bouldering in their harnesses, sometimes with their gear jingling and jangling.

Here's my thought: There's no need to drag your trad rack to the gym, where you only need your shoes and chalk bag for bouldering and a harness and 1 biner w/ belay device if you are climbing. Sometimes you'll need your own rope and draws if you plan to lead, but most gym's I've been to already have draws hung so usually won't even need them.

That's all you need unless you are a special case which is only about 5% of gym climbers. So, leave your haul bags at home, leave your impressive trad rack hanging on your wall, and give your Sherpa the day off. Go to the gym and have a good time, gear free!

[ This Message was edited by: climberstephen on 2001-12-21 14:07 ]

Partner missedyno

Dec 21, 2001, 11:32 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Gear Heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've never seen anyone wearing their trad rack at the gym.... friends have occasionally brought the wrong bag in and ended up with their rack, but to climb with it seems odd.

i personally have a utility biner from which to hang my shoes when i'm not climbing. some people keep their belay device on their harness because it sure would suck if you forgot that!

sparker

Dec 22, 2001, 12:35 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw someone in the gym one day with some weird, old, looking cams on his harness. Being a gearhead I asked him about them, the guy was a newbie. Had never climbed outside. He bought the cams at a yard sale cause they were "cool".

graniteboy

Dec 22, 2001, 1:24 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stephen:
These folks just don't know what's going on yet. And every one of us was clueless at some point. Except maybe ME...I was Born wearing mountain boots. It was a HARD DELIVERY for my MOM, god bless her soul....
Anyway, It's OK for them to look silly. Eventually they'll realize that carrying their BIGWALL rack in the Gym is a bit ridiculous, when they see that everyone is STARING at them and nobody will CLIMB with them.

kahuna3602

Dec 22, 2001, 2:03 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen anyone with a rack, they must be clueless or showing off.
As far as bouldering with a harness I'm regularly guilty of that for the following reasons. 1) I'm warming up. 2) I'm hoping someone shows without a partner and wants to climb. 3) We've been switching between the bouldering wall and bouldering the bottom of the climbing walls and get enthused to finish the climb. I'd rather have it on and not use it than have to run over to my gear bag and "suit" up. I view this last one like making love. If you have to run down the block to get a condom, you've lost the moment.

socialclimber

Dec 22, 2001, 2:09 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Dad asked me that very question or something a bitlike it just today when came down to the gym with me. My answer went something like this: "Well Dad, Some of these people are going to lead a climb so they need the six quick-draws, belay device and designer chalk bag that they have on their harneses. Some of them don't trust us not to steal the only six quick-draws, belay device and designer chalk bag that they own so they keep everything on their harness. And some of them are just wankers."

[ This Message was edited by: socialclimber on 2001-12-22 06:11 ]

downshift

Dec 22, 2001, 3:31 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Occassionally I've seen people with full trad racks a the gym. I've asked about it and ussually they fogot there gym harness or the other answer I got was it looks cool.

crux_clipper

Dec 24, 2001, 11:26 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never heard of a gym REQUIRINGyou to bring Quickdraws to lead. All the gyms that I have been to, and lead, have the quickgraws already there. All i need to bring when i go to climb at a gym is my harness, chalkbag, shoes, rope and belay device with screwgate. THAT IT.

But i have seen at a climbing gym in Melbourne, a wall with cracks and other features that allow you to place protection. Don't ask me why, but you can. There even a meter wide, horizontal crack for placing a cam.

saltspringer

Dec 25, 2001, 12:04 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll sometimes have some extra gear on my harness (daisy chain, lockers, draws...) just because I've been too lazy to take them off after an outdoor climbing day; also, at our gym I'll often be modifying or building routes and having a few extra odds & ends on my harness makes it easier to get equipment/holds up & down the wall with me. I've also, very rarely, climbed with a rack to train for a trip: it's wet & cold here in March and when I head down to Jtree I want to be used to climbing with a little weight so that I can actually haul myself up something during my trip

passthepitonspete

Dec 25, 2001, 1:01 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I go to the gym, I like to aid on hooks, even if it wrecks the plastic. Girls really go for my rurps, and they especially like my little pecker.

Every now and then, the girls enjoy a little head.

It's really important to me to look good in the gym, especially when I am pulling on 'draws halfway up a 5.8. This is not a blind accusation, I have been witnessed.

I especially like to dangle hexes from my harness because of the merry jingle they make. Of course I don't use any of those curved monstrosities, and all of my hexes are slung with cord, not wire.

tigerseye

Jan 4, 2002, 9:51 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wearing trad gear while indoor is probably showing off...Wearing your harness while bouldering is excusabl as long as thier swithching back and forth other wise their just dumb

rlkelley

Jan 4, 2002, 10:28 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

treyr

Jan 5, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoever takes there rack with them to the gym probably is just trying to show off!

eminem_imposter

Jan 5, 2002, 2:28 AM
Post #14 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i have bouldered w/ my harness on because it kind of restricts movement and i dont think i should get used to being able to do stuff that will get me hurt when i try it w/ a harness on a hundred feet up. as for all the trad gear, that is a waste to carry, i have weighed my gear out and sometimes clip other stuff on that wieghs close just to get the feel. i have a few spare biners and draws on my harness just about all the time just in case i need them for some strange use around the house or something so that i know right where they are. however a full bigwall rack is a little f**ked up in my opinion for the gym.

treyr

Jan 5, 2002, 2:53 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the reason people do it if they are not showing off is to practice climbing with a load because it is different climbing with a rack

jumaringjeff

Jan 9, 2002, 6:01 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this topic is rediculous. Who cares what other people do? We're all out to have a good time. If someone's gym experience is improved by having gear racked on his/her harness, so be it.

I can't remember ever having a bad day at the gym because someone was carrying lots of gear.

Happy jumaring,
jj

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook