RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

vishnuepie

Dec 22, 2001, 12:43 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1901 views)
Shortcut

correct falling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I was wonderin if anyone could help me out with this question. What is the "correct" way to fall when your leading?
thanks

jds100

Dec 22, 2001, 1:21 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1901 views)
Shortcut

correct falling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ideally, you try to push a bit so you fall away from the wall; keep your hands in front of you, about shoulder high, elbows bent, ready to absorb some shock as you swing into the wall. Be ready to use your feet to also absorb shock as you swing into the wall, knees slightly bent. Try to stay upright.

I'd be surprised if you have time to process the fact that you're falling, while you're falling. You might be able to get some practice falls in, with the help of a toleratnt belayer, and possibly the "correct" position will become ingrained and automatic.

The notion of calling out "Falling!" has always seemed ludicrous to me; the climber should be focused on climbing, not on not falling. If the climber thinks he might pop, he should call for extra attention from the belayer, but still be focused on ascending or trying to achieve a more secure stance, or down-climbing. If the climber's got time to call, "Falling!", then he's already given up and bailed.

woodse

Dec 22, 2001, 2:19 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Falling? There's no falling in rockclimbing!!!!!!!!!! Ok, ok, I agree with the previous poster that it is good to give a little push if you've passed the point of staying with it. ALWAYS think about bending the knees a little cause rock is hard and you coming into hard rock = hurt. Some people feel more comfortable holding onto the rope right above their harness as they fall, says it gives them some sort of control, me I like to keep my hands ready to hold my upper body from hitting the wall on impact. I'm not sure there is a "textbook" way to fall, but if there is, somebody on this site will know...guarnteed!

woodsE

sizzlechest

Dec 22, 2001, 2:53 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

more importantly get the belayer to pay out some slack so there's no slammage of the ankles

jaydoc

Dec 22, 2001, 5:41 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny how the word "falling" sounds when people are screaming it. To me it sounds more like, "SHIIIIIIIIIIIII..."

airscape

Dec 22, 2001, 4:13 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apart from the other advice,
I would concider a good fall as one where u don't hit the ground

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook