RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jcs

Dec 22, 2001, 9:57 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Shredded Fingers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Everyone!

Just took a couple months off climbing, and now Im bouldering in an area with really sharp granite. My fingers were a bloody mess after about an hour the other day, and it gets tough to work problems like that! Anyone have any hints on how to toughen up the fingers fast, or do I just have to grin and bear it until the figers naturally adapt? I've heard that rubbing alcohol works-dries up the skin and that... but so far it hasnt helped much. Thanks.
JCS

Partner pianomahnn

Dec 22, 2001, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Shredded Fingers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just keep climbing. Only way to go.

awkward

Dec 23, 2001, 10:23 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put superglue over the tears in your fingers so you the tears don't keep tearing.

-Bryan

colin

Dec 23, 2001, 10:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't do the superglue thing...toxic shock would be bad. Instead get some "New Skin" from the pharmacy it's like superglue only non toxic.

graniteboy

Dec 24, 2001, 1:00 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use both superglue or nuskin. I am also a toxicologist. Super glue was originally invented to glue soldiers together in the field till they could get to the hospital. They quit using it for that because it was too brittle. But now they've come out with a new superglue type of cyanoacrylate which is less brittle (longer polymer chain length).
I would not worry abt toxicity.

Newskin works well, too. Neither one gives you the good frictioning ability of a good set of dawg pad callouses on your fingers. I suggest using a pumice stone daily on your tips the next time you take time off from climbing. And I also suggest corn husker's lotion when you 're taking time off. The swimmer is right; swimming (or doing the dishes, for that matter) makes your callouses more likely to weaken. so don't swim, and get someone else to wash the dishes, the car, etc..

traddad

Dec 24, 2001, 1:59 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite boy is spot on about the cyanoacrylate. My Ex is a Vet (DVM not desert storm) and used to employ this method for quick fixes when the cats got into a fight. I am also an aquatic toxicologist/ecologist and have read nothing problematic about this method. I probably wouldn't consume it on a daily basis for multiple years......but then again, I would say the same thing for LOTS of stuff we take for granted.
Traddad the old

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook