RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rockjock04

Dec 16, 2001, 12:24 AM
Post #1 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

what is back clipping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im trying to feed on whatever RC knowledge is out there and would like to know, what is Back clipping? Thank you

talons05

Dec 16, 2001, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

what is back clipping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Z clipping tech? I have no idea what that is. Hopefully that means I've never done it...

AW

talons05

Dec 16, 2001, 3:21 AM
Post #3 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha. No, I have never made that mistake. Thanks for the info.

AW

darkside

Dec 17, 2001, 5:05 AM
Post #4 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admit to "Zed"-clipping a couple of years ago. I was on a pumpy 5.10 and figured I would just be able to make it and top out. It gets worse. I hung and then continued because the only way off the climb was up, nowhere to rap to and not enough juice to start over. I settled for a blown onsight, sorry for the poor form PTPP. I went back again this year and got spanked again, hah well, always next year.
I usually catch the back clip though.

Partner missedyno

Dec 17, 2001, 7:15 AM
Post #5 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had been leading just fine outdoors, went to do my lead test for the gym.

my friends helped me train for it and they insisted that i learn what a back clip was.

since i knew, i backclipped on my test. my only mark i messed up.

don't even learn to do it

rockjock04

Dec 17, 2001, 8:08 PM
Post #6 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What im not gettin is what your saying about going to the wall then to the biner then to the climber. Is what your saying is that dont flip the quickdraw so its twisted or what?

darkside

Dec 18, 2001, 2:14 AM
Post #7 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

--
OK, lets see if I can shed some light. Imagine a movable wall set so it is overhanging with a number of draws hanging in a line. When correctly clipped, the rope runs from the back to the front through all the draws without twisting them. Now tilt the wall back to vertical and try to imagine how the rope and draws will hang. As the rope passes up the wall it willpass through the draw from behind, then out and up to the next draw. OK so far? This is the correct way.
Now take the rope from the last draw and clip it in the opposite way. It now passes up the wall, moves out, and passes through the biner from front to back before passing up the wall to the climber. This is backclipped and herein lies the danger. If the climber now falls one of two things is likely to happen:
1. the draw twists and the climbers weight comes onto the rope in the draw.
2. the draw doesn't twist and the rope is now passing over the biners gate. As the climbers weight comes onto the rope on the gate. The rope is wrapped around the gate and as the weight increases, the gate is pulled open, and the rope is free to slide down the gate and out of the biner. The backclip is now UNCLIPPED.

One reason the backclip is sometimes missed is the draw twisting so it looks OK at a glance. It falls then to the belayer to alert the climber of possible backclips, z-clips, and other hazards such as rope behind the leaders leg. If you tilt the wall to overhanging again, any backclipped draws would appear to twist in order allow the rope line to run straight.

Hope this helps make things seem clear as mud.

jds100

Dec 25, 2001, 1:13 AM
Post #8 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, here's an excllent link with photos:

http://www.altrec.com/published/climb/skills/backclipwhat/

[ This Message was edited by: jds100 on 2001-12-24 17:14 ]

dustinap
Deleted

Dec 25, 2001, 1:35 AM
Post #9 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Backclipping sucks, but it is pretty hard to do. the examples here were awesome, props to you guys. :up:

I matter of fact just Z clipper, and it was right before a sketch move on a 12A. Someone from the ground screamed up to me I Z clipped, and was barely able to fix it before falling.

Needless to say, I gave praise to this guy when I got down.

rockjock04

Dec 25, 2001, 3:31 AM
Post #10 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link Jd100. That explains it really well for me. I just thought it had to do if the biner was twisted. Now I understand about "belayer-rock-biner-climber" not "belayer-biner-rock-climber" I got got thanks alot guys. And why cant I ever write something without it sounding like sarcasm?

kam_ill_eon

Dec 26, 2001, 8:10 PM
Post #11 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just don't do it! No just kidding. It helps to go to the gym and practice just clipping right.

bumblesbounce

Dec 29, 2001, 4:29 PM
Post #12 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay... I have very little knowledge about climbing... but I think I can help, please tell me if I'm wrong. I think backcliping is when you are inside, and your belaying... you use a carbiner hook it to the back of your harness, and hook it to a bolt in the wall. This is so if a person that fallls is heavier then the belayer the belayer doesn't go flying up and the climber goes down. That's just my thoughts...

Fawn

passthepitonspete

Dec 29, 2001, 5:14 PM
Post #13 of 13 (7005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Backclipping?"

Did someone say, "BACKCLIPPING?!"

If any Gym Climbing Bumbly were ever uniquely qualified to answer this question, it has to be ME!

If you want to see backclipping, and see it done right, boys and girls, then you just follow Dr. Pee'd On to the climbing gym on one of my rigorous big wall training days.

[Please note that such training days may or may not occur once or twice before my next Off the Couch ascent.
]

I'll be easy to spot in the gym - just listen for shouts of, "Hey Pete! You're backclipped again!"

Either that, or look for the shape of my rope. If it zig-zags all over creation - and in this case "creation" refers to the latest plastic monstrosity - then I have probably "Z"-clipped it, yet another indoor climbing technique at which I am particularly skilled.

Cheers,

Pete

P.S. Like up here in the Great White North, we say the rope is "ZED-clipped, eh?

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook