RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

youmeanupthere

Apr 19, 2003, 4:20 AM
Post #1 of 2 (693 views)
Shortcut

why don't you participate?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm trying to organize a couple summer service projects for some of my local climbing areas and I need some imput from the masses. Now, if you already help with climbing conservation projects this does not necessarily apply to you although you people deserve all the praise and thank yous and you are more than welcome to chime in. My Question addresses all the people who haven't helped with projects. I know there are a lot out there in my area who do not participate and would assume other places are similar. Why don't you volunteer your time for crag clean-up projects or trail maint? I hope this doesn't sound like a personal attack. I know there are legitimate reasons. What I am fishing for is imformation so I might devise a way to get people out and help who wouldn't normally do so. For years I was part of the problem because I always assumed somebody else would take care of it? My mind wasn't changed until I experienced closures on a first hand basis which is the consequence I would like to avoid. Help me understand.

mhr2000

Apr 20, 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 2 (693 views)
Shortcut

Re: why don't you participate? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I can speak from experience from always changing my mind at the last second to not going. What always changes my mind is the amount of organization. The agenda needs to be crystal clear. Camping locations need to be crystal clear and reserved ahead of time by the organizers. Meeting places need to be crystal clear. Everything needs to be as simple as possible... drive here, camp here, talk to John Doe who will be located here. Can't stress enough how important directions are. Precise and crystal clear from the nearest interstate.

The work agenda also needs to be crystal clear. Some people don't like heights and cannot work near clifflines... others prefer heights and don't want to work near streams. If the plans aren't described well enough I won't go because I don't like surprises. You show up and hear "Well, today we'll be working in knee high mud fixing a stream crossing". That's not my thing, but to some it's great.

Oh.. and it always helps to schedule in a bit of free time where people can do their own thing!

Anway, hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook