Premier Sponsor:

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jul 4, 2001, 6:29 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Is ice climbing more dangreous?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got into climbing through sport and have never "graduated" up to ice. I'm curious though, it seems to me that ice would be the most dangerous of all styles. Mainly because the ice is always changing and may not always be stable. Has anyone been on ice when a big chunk that you were on fell?

fiend

Jul 4, 2001, 8:31 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Is ice climbing more dangreous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say that their is a fairly large element of danger to ice that you don't find in other disciplines. Having a pillar fall out from under you is a good example, happened to a friend but he was on top-rope. There are other dangers like losing a crampon (very common) or even dropping a tool. When this happens it's much harder to continue climbing because you rely so heavily on these tools. In most other forms of climbing you're not dealing with razor sharp objects which can slice your rope or body in a fall or misplaced swing. The ice is also much less predictable than rock in its day to day behaviour. An ice climb is never the same; no matter how many times you climb it you still have to be vigilant when it comes to safety.
-mark

kagunkie

Jul 7, 2001, 2:08 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A year of ice climbing will make rock seem like swimming in the kiddie pool. It feels nice but doesnt need a lifeguard.

kriso9tails

Jul 31, 2001, 3:30 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think it has to be if you're only into it casually. However, as the grades get harder, I hear that the danger increases almost proportionally. I've only been ice climbing a couple of times, and there was no risk (well, there's some riskin everything), but then again, it was pretty easy stuff. Good fun, too bad I suck at it. I'll keep trying though(I have to climb something in the winter)

climber1

Aug 10, 2001, 5:58 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes

graniteboy

Dec 3, 2001, 2:46 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look kid; I've been in the ice game for about 25 years, and HELL YES it's frikkin more dangerous. All kinds of shite falls off and you could turn yourself into a frozen shish kebab when you spear yourself taking a fall. If what you want is safety, stay @ home and watch ice climbing on TEEE VEEE, or go pose around the gym. But if you wanna talk to the Mtn Gods, Ice climbing is only a few steps below soloing in the big ranges for holiness.

graniteboy

Dec 18, 2001, 1:13 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kylewa: your post leads me to believe that you never climb thin ice or thin mixed routes. On most thin or mixed stuff, there is no option of "slamming" in a tool and feeling secure. You scratch and hook and whimper your way up that stuff. Also, on fangs that haven't touched down, or thin pillars, slamming tools is likely to get you a ride to the bottom when the thing snaps off at your placement. Add to that any kind of rotten ice (which is all we usually get out here in my mountain range), and I generally tend not to agree with your "for the climber", ice can be more secure than rock assessment, unless you're only climbing fat, perfect, plastic WI 3. Soloing ice is wicked dangerous, and I do not recommend soloing ice to anyone who hasn't been ice climbing at least ten years.

darkside

Dec 18, 2001, 3:26 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah it's not more dangerous 'cause non of that stuff can happen round here. Yer see theres no ice round here yet......aaaaaaarrrghh.
Tell you what is dangerous though, all us displaced ice climbers with newly sharpened tools in hand, going crazy at all the November temps in December.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook